Active
Active

Re: Swamp Rock Instrumental

Post by philipmojbro » Tue May 04, 2021 10:24 am

MichelleLane wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:33 am
philipmojbro wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 2:09 am
I'm not the right person to judge swamp rock (being all electronic and stuff), but ... the link didn't work for me!
Darn! Could you please try the link again? I think I fixed it, but I'm not sure. The track title is "Crawfish Crunch."
Works now! Wow, that sounds great to my ears. Again, I’m not a rock guy. So I couldn’t A&R this one, but as a casual listener this just sounds really good to me. I wish I could play guitar like that.

MichelleLane
Active
Active

Post by MichelleLane » Tue May 04, 2021 12:02 pm

philipmojbro wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:24 am
MichelleLane wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:33 am
philipmojbro wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 2:09 am
I'm not the right person to judge swamp rock (being all electronic and stuff), but ... the link didn't work for me!
Darn! Could you please try the link again? I think I fixed it, but I'm not sure. The track title is "Crawfish Crunch."
Works now! Wow, that sounds great to my ears. Again, I’m not a rock guy. So I couldn’t A&R this one, but as a casual listener this just sounds really good to me. I wish I could play guitar like that.
Thanks so much, Philip! And I wish I could play piano better! For now, I'll just work with what I know best and will expand as I move forward in this sync business stuff. Thanks for the feedback!

- Michelle

MichelleLane
Active
Active

Post by MichelleLane » Tue May 04, 2021 12:05 pm

Zaychi wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:50 am
Wow, that's a real killer track! Very well done... not sure if it is "swampy" enough in the screener's ears, but I'm pretty sure it will find a home on some more straight-rock listing then!

If I'd have any comment at all, it would be about the lead guitar entering at around 0:15... it seems a bit hesitant or thin... but I'd say overall, good enough!
Hmm. Thanks. I'm going to be touching up the mix today and I'll listen to that for sure. Mixing and mastering is not my forte, but I'll get better as I go.

MichelleLane
Active
Active

Post by MichelleLane » Tue May 04, 2021 12:07 pm

eeoo wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:17 am
Sounds great! Not sure if it's swampy enough for this listing but it'll def find a home in a southern rock catalog. If you wanted make it a total home run you'd add an edit point or two.
Thanks for the feedback! I've heard this comment about edit points before. I actually thought I did that on this piece by adding some break points in between the verses and choruses, but maybe I'm not understanding what it means. Could you elaborate?

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Tue May 04, 2021 2:10 pm

"Thanks for the feedback! I've heard this comment about edit points before. I actually thought I did that on this piece by adding some break points in between the verses and choruses, but maybe I'm not understanding what it means. Could you elaborate?"

At 0:11 you have a nice edit point that could be even more obvious without the snare hit. Then beginning at 1:03 you have that series of breaks, if even just one of the breaks didn't have the drums playing through them you'd be making life much easier for an editor cutting to picture/dialog. And I've been told supes will even look at a wave form and know if it's usable for them by seeing whether or not it has obvious edit points. In general, when possible, you don't want your wave form to look like a stick of butter. That said, making a cohesive piece of music is the first priority and sometimes obvious edit points just don't work.

MichelleLane
Active
Active

Post by MichelleLane » Tue May 04, 2021 6:02 pm

eeoo wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 2:10 pm
"Thanks for the feedback! I've heard this comment about edit points before. I actually thought I did that on this piece by adding some break points in between the verses and choruses, but maybe I'm not understanding what it means. Could you elaborate?"

At 0:11 you have a nice edit point that could be even more obvious without the snare hit. Then beginning at 1:03 you have that series of breaks, if even just one of the breaks didn't have the drums playing through them you'd be making life much easier for an editor cutting to picture/dialog. And I've been told supes will even look at a wave form and know if it's usable for them by seeing whether or not it has obvious edit points. In general, when possible, you don't want your wave form to look like a stick of butter. That said, making a cohesive piece of music is the first priority and sometimes obvious edit points just don't work.
Got it! That's super helpful. I'm going to play with it a bit more and see how it sounds edited as you suggest. I was wondering about that anyway. Thanks!

MichelleLane
Active
Active

Post by MichelleLane » Tue May 04, 2021 7:20 pm

eeoo wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 2:10 pm

At 0:11 you have a nice edit point that could be even more obvious without the snare hit. Then beginning at 1:03 you have that series of breaks, if even just one of the breaks didn't have the drums playing through
I just uploaded a new version with your edit point suggestions. The same link should work. I would love your feedback if you have a chance to listen. Thanks again!

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Tue May 04, 2021 9:00 pm

Yeah much easier edit points for sure. I don't totally recall what the original sounded like but you just need to make the call as to whether you like the flow of the original enough to sacrifice edit points. I feel like the bass is a little light in this mix, definitely guitar dominated, as it should be but maybe there's a way to get the bass to poke out a little more?

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradGray » Wed May 05, 2021 4:19 am

Hey Michelle,

Very cool Southern Rock style track. I really like the guitar harmony; stands out really nicely!

As for suggestions, please bear in mind I'm still struggling to get my first forward; but here is what I "hear":

1) That initial high-guitar that doubles the riff at the intro seems "slightly" out of tune at the beginning. Seems fine later when it repeats.
- Do you need it right up front? You could try to cut it and wait for when it repeats later to add it back.

2) A comment I have received repeatedly is "too repetitive". In listening to your track, the main riff, motif and melody is repeated roughly 3 times from what I can hear.
- If you try cutting from where the 2nd guitar section (~50s) is to about ~1:03 of the track, that breakdown and build-up may feel more impactful

3) Mix - The mids are very accentuated, especially around 330hz, the highs drop off after 5k, and the track could use a bit of "warmth" too it. Instead of just cranking bass, I would suggest taking a look at the guitars, and rolling off some of the lower frequencies, on the guitars, as it will help the instruments stand out better. Then perhaps add a little more bass, and a touch of top end.

Hope that helps. To be clear, I quite enjoyed the track, just a few observations that you can consider, or discard, as I'm still a novice here. =)

Cheers,
Brad

MichelleLane
Active
Active

Post by MichelleLane » Wed May 05, 2021 6:25 am

eeoo wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:00 pm
Yeah much easier edit points for sure. I don't totally recall what the original sounded like but you just need to make the call as to whether you like the flow of the original enough to sacrifice edit points. I feel like the bass is a little light in this mix, definitely guitar dominated, as it should be but maybe there's a way to get the bass to poke out a little more?
I actually wanted edit points at those exact places when I originally wrote the main guitar part. I just didn't know exactly how to make it work. I'm going to tweak the drums a bit more today to see if I can make them feel more natural in those sections. - More bass. Got it. I struggled with mixing all day yesterday and it kept sounding like the bass was way too loud. Haha. Idk. This is the point where I would usually just hand it over to a recording engineer to do this part. So much easier, but more costly, so it's on me now.

I listened to your music last night. Very artistic and amazing production quality. Impressive! Are you doing that in a home studio cause it sure does not sound like it. Top-notch stuff!