MichelleLane
Active
Active

Re: Swamp Rock Instrumental

Post by MichelleLane » Wed May 05, 2021 6:38 am

BradGray wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 4:19 am
Hey Michelle,

Very cool Southern Rock style track. I really like the guitar harmony; stands out really nicely!

As for suggestions, please bear in mind I'm still struggling to get my first forward; but here is what I "hear":

1) That initial high-guitar that doubles the riff at the intro seems "slightly" out of tune at the beginning. Seems fine later when it repeats.
- Do you need it right up front? You could try to cut it and wait for when it repeats later to add it back.

2) A comment I have received repeatedly is "too repetitive". In listening to your track, the main riff, motif and melody is repeated roughly 3 times from what I can hear.
- If you try cutting from where the 2nd guitar section (~50s) is to about ~1:03 of the track, that breakdown and build-up may feel more impactful

3) Mix - The mids are very accentuated, especially around 330hz, the highs drop off after 5k, and the track could use a bit of "warmth" too it. Instead of just cranking bass, I would suggest taking a look at the guitars, and rolling off some of the lower frequencies, on the guitars, as it will help the instruments stand out better. Then perhaps add a little more bass, and a touch of top end.

Hope that helps. To be clear, I quite enjoyed the track, just a few observations that you can consider, or discard, as I'm still a novice here. =)

Cheers,
Brad
Hi Brad! Good ears, you are spot on! I had so many issues with mixing and mastering yesterday. Drove me crazy. I'm used to just handing it off to an engineer at this point, but I need to learn to do it myself if I want to make any money at this. Yeah, I heard the slightly out of tune thing too. I'm going to address it today. Already pitch-corrected a couple of notes, but might have to retrack.

The mix was causing me a lot of problems yesterday. I appreciate your detailed feedback on that. I will give it another go today with your comments in mind. I predict lots of YouTube mixing tutorials in my future!! Haha!

I keep seeing the repetitive comments too. There was a topic started in the Production section of the forum addressing it that I thought was very good and helpful. I think it's funny how libaries want instrumentals, but then don't want to hear the same melody repeated throughout. Huh? It's just like a vocal part only with an instrument. In this instance, I decided to use added instrumentation and musical breaks to address that. Idk. I'm learning this sync business as I go, but having fun along the way so that's cool.

Thanks for your feedback! Take care,
Michelle

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Swamp Rock Instrumental

Post by eeoo » Wed May 05, 2021 7:11 pm

"I listened to your music last night. Very artistic and amazing production quality. Impressive! Are you doing that in a home studio cause it sure does not sound like it. Top-notch stuff!"

Thanks Michelle, I appreciate that! Yep, all home studio stuff.