Swamp Rock S210506WR

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

feaker66
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Swamp Rock S210506WR

Post by feaker66 » Mon May 03, 2021 9:07 am

Hi The bass to me works. The processing on the guitar has more like a phaser type feel. No real bite. Need some more riff differentiation. Some good stuff after the minute mark going on. I hope you keep reposting your updates. Will be fun to follow. good luck
Thankfully, while growing old is compulsory, growing up remains optional!

https://soundcloud.com/feaker66

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=883613

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Wed May 05, 2021 4:58 pm

So here is another track for this listing.

I think I'm going to change my screen name to "Veers"; the cues I produce all have that characteristic that separates them from the ref tracks :lol:

My first question still stands unanswered: does it seem reasonable that an editor will want a cue that has a 20 second (or so) section that's easily lifted out and placed? In my mind the answer to that question has bearing on how a cue is structured, and how repetitive or not it must be. Thoughts?

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Wed May 05, 2021 7:06 pm

I didn't listen to the first cue you posted, this second one doesn't strike me as swampy. It's a bit too ambitious musically i think. In general, I think for cues across the board, simplicity is king. To my ear this would be too distracting to use under a scene, it would draw attention to itself instead of simply enhancing the mood. I've never heard of the 20 second thing your talking about. I usually go with vibe first and foremost and if edit points work musically then great, if they take away from the vibe I don't try and force them in. Simple is not easy. I think there's a famous composer that had a quote something like - super loose paraphrasing here - simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Wed May 05, 2021 7:53 pm

eeoo wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 7:06 pm
I didn't listen to the first cue you posted, this second one doesn't strike me as swampy. It's a bit too ambitious musically i think. In general, I think for cues across the board, simplicity is king. To my ear this would be too distracting to use under a scene, it would draw attention to itself instead of simply enhancing the mood. I've never heard of the 20 second thing your talking about. I usually go with vibe first and foremost and if edit points work musically then great, if they take away from the vibe I don't try and force them in. Simple is not easy. I think there's a famous composer that had a quote something like - super loose paraphrasing here - simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Thanks, eeoo, I agree.
I spend so much time in pre-planning, that by the time I hit record I've already got 10x too much stuff in the cue. I gave myself a new-year's resolution to master the 90sec AAA form cue. It's already May and the only progress I've made is to become frustrated with how the simplicity escapes me.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Thu May 06, 2021 7:09 pm

So after the very nice spanking by eeoo last night, I lit up the studio and did a cue with no preconceived notion of what I would do (other than having the listing and some keywords at hand). Super simple (by necessity) and maybe better for it. That one, "Sticky Mess", and a second one, "Slippery Outlaw", are on my member page for anyone interested.

It's been really nice seeing the membership come together with encouragement and some great talent to share on this Swamp Rock listing. I'm blown away by what I've heard, and sure several of the cues shared on the forum will be forwarded!

swdaze
Impressive
Impressive

Post by swdaze » Thu May 06, 2021 10:52 pm

Hello.

I think the drums/mix needs a more organic/gritty sound/feel. I like the guitar work and the tune but style wise seems a bit off.

Good luck, Geo
A square peg can be an elegant solution to a round hole