We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

Swamp Rock

Post by BradGray » Wed May 05, 2021 3:35 am

Hey Passengers,

Sharing my submission for last minute critique, with regards to the swamp rock instrumental: The Swamp Thing

I've not shared all the specific links to the references, as others are sharing their swampy cues too.

Question: Mine is in a higher key than the references; though I can sill alter and take it down. Should I try to better match the original key of the references, or does it matter if the vibe and feel are there?

Thanks,
Brad

Listing Info:

A Bunch of SWAMP ROCK INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by an extremely busy Music Library with a tremendously long list of killer placements in Hit TV Shows!

This Library is on the hunt for a bunch of Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumental Cues that could be found on a playlist with the following references:
Swamp People (from 0:10 to 0:30)
"Moonshine & Gasoline" by Blues Saraceno
Duck Dynasty (from 13:49 to 14:14)

Although one of the references has vocals, please submit Instrumental Cues only for this pitch.

Please submit top-notch Swamp Rock Instrumental Cues with twangy guitar riffs, great rhythms, and a healthy dose of Southern charm. Craft your Cues around a singular motif and mood, and create a sense of forward momentum and dynamics by layering instrumentation in and out as they progress. Please be sure that your production and any virtual instruments or samples you use are high-quality and not dated. The more your pieces sound like they're being performed by real musicians playing real instruments, the better!

All submissions should be about 90 seconds to 2 minutes long, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings are strongly recommended. Do NOT copy the referenced tracks in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Swamp Rock

Post by AlanHall » Wed May 05, 2021 9:21 am

BradGray wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 3:35 am
Question: Mine is in a higher key than the references; though I can sill alter and take it down. Should I try to better match the original key of the references, or does it matter if the vibe and feel are there?
I noticed that two of the ref tracks were in C# minor IIRC. I'm thinking there's some drop-tune mischief going on, but to my ears the difference is minimal. Please note that my ears aren't calibrated that well :roll:

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradGray » Wed May 05, 2021 10:01 am

Yeah I noticed that too. I can "cheat" via my daw and transpose down a tone, which does sound darker, but think I still had the vibe they were looking for....least I hope so.

The only part that did not sound good being dropped down, was my little two-shot intro. But that could always be cut...

DBarnett
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DBarnett » Wed May 05, 2021 12:01 pm

Hey Brad,
Just my opinion but I think the lead is too pretty, the swamp is a dirty gritty place man :D
Most of this swampy stuff is in D or half step tuned down D that I've noticed - E sometimes
Good luck my friend

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradGray » Wed May 05, 2021 12:28 pm

Thanks Dave.

I think I will do an 11th hour edit and transposition down a step, to make it a bit darker and swampier. The lead may still be to pretty, but up here in Ontario the closest thing we have to a swamp is a Bog, and really not interesting enough to write a style of music around. ;-)

For this track, I had to use a shot glass for the slide work as I've never owned a slide and it was my first attempt at swamp rock and slide work.

A good learning experience, and enjoyable.

Thanks,
Brad

DBarnett
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DBarnett » Wed May 05, 2021 12:35 pm

BradGray wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 12:28 pm
Thanks Dave.

I think I will do an 11th hour edit and transposition down a step, to make it a bit darker and swampier. The lead may still be to pretty, but up here in Ontario the closest thing we have to a swamp is a Bog, and really not interesting enough to write a style of music around. ;-)

For this track, I had to use a shot glass for the slide work as I've never owned a slide and it was my first attempt at swamp rock and slide work.

A good learning experience, and enjoyable.

Thanks,
Brad
Wow! A shot glass??? COOL!! Good work brother, yep everyday is a learning experience if we just let it :D

MichelleLane
Active
Active

Post by MichelleLane » Wed May 05, 2021 2:05 pm

Hey Brad! I hope you had some whiskey in that shot glass! :lol:

Along the same lines as the other comments, it was the solo that stood out to me as not being in the genre. If you decide to retrack it, you can try using a G minor pentatonic scale or G Blues instead of G major. That should do the trick. Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the key, but obviously it's your choice. I mean, if we want to be super authentic, it would be better to use an Eb tuning on the guitars. I used a Drop D, but didn't drop the tuning a half step cause it's kind of a pain in the arse. Haha! That's my two cents.

Good luck!

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradGray » Wed May 05, 2021 6:54 pm

MichelleLane wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 2:05 pm
Hey Brad! I hope you had some whiskey in that shot glass! :lol:

Along the same lines as the other comments, it was the solo that stood out to me as not being in the genre. If you decide to retrack it, you can try using a G minor pentatonic scale or G Blues instead of G major. That should do the trick. Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the key, but obviously it's your choice. I mean, if we want to be super authentic, it would be better to use an Eb tuning on the guitars. I used a Drop D, but didn't drop the tuning a half step cause it's kind of a pain in the arse. Haha! That's my two cents.

Good luck!
Thanks Michelle,

I hear what everyone is saying here, which is good. I just finished a new solo/fills vs those clean more 'twangy' guitar parts. It's more on the bluesy side, pentatonic, and sits a bit better. I'll finish the mix in the AM, and submit.

I'm still thinking that I probably should have done it all in a much lower tuning, but I guess we'll see if it's swampy enough. =P

Cheers,
Brad

MichelleLane
Active
Active

Post by MichelleLane » Wed May 05, 2021 9:22 pm

[/quote]

Thanks Michelle,

I hear what everyone is saying here, which is good. I just finished a new solo/fills vs those clean more 'twangy' guitar parts. It's more on the bluesy side, pentatonic, and sits a bit better. I'll finish the mix in the AM, and submit.

I'm still thinking that I probably should have done it all in a much lower tuning, but I guess we'll see if it's swampy enough. =P

Cheers,
Brad
[/quote]

You got this! Swamp on, my friend! :D It'll be fun to see how it goes for all of us. Seems like a popular listing. Take care!

P.S. I didn't do the "quote" thing right cause this forum format is still a mystery to me. Ha!

DBarnett
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DBarnett » Thu May 06, 2021 10:09 am

Hey Brad,
Yes, that's more like it
Good luck brother!