We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DBarnett
Impressive
Impressive

Swampy Blues Rock Instros

Post by DBarnett » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:27 am

Hi Taxi Friends!
I would like your opinion on if this track fits this listing. Probably could use a better title. I have worked with for a library in the past

SWAMPY BLUES ROCK INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a U.K. Music Licensing Company with GREAT Worldwide Distribution and lots of awesome placements in Film and TV.
Please submit Instrumentals in All Tempos that are in the general stylistic range of the references they provided to us below:
“What Makes A Good Man?” by The Heavy
“Lo/Hi” by The Black Keys
“Fool” by Kaleo
IMPORTANT NOTE: This Company has a high bar and they tend to gravitate towards music that sounds like it could be used under releasable commercial Instrumentals rather than material that sounds like it came from a stock music library. Also, this library is ONLY interested in signing material from composers who have worked for libraries in the past and who understand how standard library deals work. If you haven't worked with a music library before, please do not submit music for this opportunity.
Please send in riff-heavy Instrumentals that have an authentic swampy, Blues Rock style, sound, and feel. Your submissions should be well-produced, with authentic-sounding Rock band instrumentation, solid musicianship, and driving rhythm sections. Please be sure your submissions are well structured and lean a bit more toward the Blues-y side of Rock.
NOTE: Any material that sounds stiff, synthetic, or obliviously MIDI-driven won’t work well for this pitch.
Your submissions should be 2 to 3 minutes long, give or take. Non-faded, Buttoned/Stinger endings will work best. Do NOT copy the referenced material in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, texture, tone, and overall vibe. Genre-appropriate Broadcast Quality is needed.
This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal, so please be sure the Instrumentals you pitch for this opportunity are NOT already signed with other Companies or Catalogs. You'll get 100% of the Writer's share, and the Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher's share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to submit. Please submit as many Instrumentals as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PST) on Wednesday, February 5th, 2020. TAXI Dispatch # D200205SW

Thanks much, you're input is greatly valued

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Swampy Blues Rock Instros

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:59 am

My first thought without delving too deep into the Ref tracks is the timeing is off and guitar player sounds out of sync with the drums

mark

DBarnett
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DBarnett » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:14 am

Thanks Mark, it's sometimes hard to notice these things when you're head down and elbows up but I hear it now Thanks again I really appreciate the honesty. First things first :D

DBarnett
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DBarnett » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:44 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:59 am
My first thought without delving too deep into the Ref tracks is the timeing is off and guitar player sounds out of sync with the drums

mark
Here is the reworked version, let me know if this sounds tighter please...Thanks!

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:49 pm

DBarnett wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:44 pm
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:59 am

mark
Here is the reworked version, let me know if this sounds tighter please...Thanks!
Sounds better now but parts of the section from around 20s - 30s sound a bit odd..the rest seems fine to me now.

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:08 pm

Yeah it's not quite in the pocket but aside from that I get more of a classic rock vibe from it than a modern indie blues vibe like the ref tracks. It's a deceptively tough vibe to nail. A start might be to play around with some distortion on the drums and bass and even some subtle slap back delay on the drums. Also, some kind of room ambience on everything to tie it together more. All those ref tracks sound more warm and fuzzy overall.

DBarnett
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DBarnett » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:03 pm

Great advice and opinion on the vibe, much appreciated! The 20s to 30s is a bit of change up, trying to go for a Black Keys thing. I know there are some pick clicks in that section but I don't think that's what you're talking about, could be it just doesn't fit? Maybe a little more reverb will float it out. Thinking about renaming it PITA, this one has worked me over :lol:
I really appreciate you taking the time my friend, if you think of anything else let me know. I will post a revision in the next day or so. I have this pitched to a Biker Rock listing but I'll need to update that with the revisions. Jan 4th was deadline and still haven't heard anything on that request. Best to you Mark!