Sync fee question

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jonnybutter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Sync fee question

Post by jonnybutter » Wed May 09, 2018 5:19 pm

I've wondered about this before but never asked: In some listings, there is a high sync fee headlined, but further down you see that for an unknown producer, the sync fee would probably be half or a quarter of the headline amount - that part I get. But further on, you see that it looks like you would then split that fee with the publisher. So, you could easily end up with 17.5% of the headline fee. Am I reading that right? Below is a current listing of this type. Not saying it's not worth doing the deal, esp depending on potential backend and a possible relationship with the supe, but just want to be sure I understand. Thanks in advance if anyone knows.

ORIGINAL, SWING-STYLE JAZZ INSTRUMENTALS are needed for an (up to) $10,000, placement by a NON-Exclusive Publisher that’s feeding material to the Music Supervisor of a Hit TV Series. They’re looking for authentic-sounding, Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals (Vintage or Recently Recorded material can both work) that could fit in the general stylistic range of the following references we got from our client: “Take the A Train” by Duke Ellington: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhuzhkPpKz0 “Hello Dolly” by Louis Armstrong: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVHkOzVggtIAlthough some of the references above have vocals, this pitch is for instrumentals only! Please send in original, authentic-sounding Jazz Instrumentals that sound like real musicians playing real instruments. If you’re using any virtual instruments, they need to sound incredibly convincing! Recently recorded songs or old vintage master recordings can both work for this pitch. Please avoid submitting anything that sounds stiff, synthetic, or obviously MIDI-driven. The more authentic sounding, the better! All submissions should be about two to four minutes long, give or take, with Non-Faded endings preferred, but not absolutely necessary Do NOT copy the references in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, texture and overall vibe. Era-Appropriate Broadcast Quality is needed. That said, we do NOT recommend adding clicks, pops, or scratches to your recording to make it sound vintage! NOTE: The sync fee we were quoted is up to $10,000. However, our experience tells us that the sync fee quoted for this placement is probably based on the show licensing and Instrumental from a well-known act through a big publisher like Sony or Universal. We think the sync fee could be lower for an unknown, independent act, or music they’d get from a “library.” We would “guesstimate” that the range for an unknown artist’s Instrumental used in this show would more likely be in the $2,500 - $5,000 range. It could go higher, but we think it’s better to be conservative and manage expectations. This Publisher offers a NON-EXCLUSIVE 50/50 deal. You’ll get 50% of the sync fee and 100% of the Writer’s share. They’ll get 50% of the sync fee and 100% of the Publisher’s Share. You’ll keep 100% of the original copyright and master. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to submit for this. Please submit as many Instrumentals you’d like online or per CD. All Submissions will be judged on their “usability factor” by the Screener, who has been handpicked by the Publisher, and who will be judging based on his “gut” - Short Critiques only. Please submit as many Instrumentals as you’d like online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis - No full critiques. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59PM (PDT), on Wednesday, May 16th, 2018. TAXI #Y180516SJ
Submit to this listing TAXI # Y180516SJ

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Sync fee question

Post by hummingbird » Wed May 09, 2018 6:58 pm

For this listing, you would get 50% of the sync fee as well as your backend writer's royalties. So if the final sync fee based on your 'knowness' is $3,000 US you get half. You also will get royalties for broadcast on a Hit TV Series which would be nothing to sneeze at. And a relationship with a publisher who is connected with those producing top rated series. Seems like a win-win to me.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

jonnybutter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Sync fee question

Post by jonnybutter » Wed May 09, 2018 7:35 pm

Hi Vikki,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I agree it's worth a pitch. Just wanted to make sure I was understanding the sync fee part. The ad doesn't say anything about broadcast - could be a hit series on cable. Still worth a pitch though!

cheers!

Jon