Sync Licensing fees.

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

markparr

Sync Licensing fees.

Post by markparr » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:23 am

Hi guys,

I have recently had my first two placements on TV shows. One of them was Prime Time on NBC (USA). I am from the UK.

On both occasions the Publishers, both through Taxi forwards, have stated that I will only receive back end Royalties. On both occasions the tracks were instrumentals and used as background. Both ran for approx. 20 seconds each.

Does anyone know if libraries pay out a sync fee or do I only earn writing Royalties?

Thanks

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Sync Licensing fees.

Post by Telefunkin » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:49 am

markparr wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:23 am
On both occasions the Publishers, both through Taxi forwards, have stated that I will only receive back end Royalties.
If you've already had that clear statement why is there any doubt?

You must have signed a contracts from the libraries in question (and hopefully read and understood them before signing). They should confirm whether/how sync fees will or won't be split.
markparr wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:23 am
Does anyone know if libraries pay out a sync fee or do I only earn writing Royalties?
SOME libraries pay sync fees SOMETIMES. Not knowing YOUR library or the details of YOUR contract then its impossible for anyone else to give you a definitive answer. Again, it seems like you've already had the answer, and your contracts should confirm it.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:21 am

In general i think it's extremely rare to get sync fees from instrumentals, I think it's only ever happened for me once. With vocal song placements it's the norm, at least in my experience.

markparr

Post by markparr » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:24 pm

Hi,

I have indeed read through my contracts and both have stated that there is a 50/50 split on Sync fess for TV/ Film and Advetising.
Why is it that Libraries “sometimes” pay out a sync fee and other times not? This is the essence of my question.

Apart from blanket licensing, what is the criteria?

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:30 am

Why don't you just ask the library? It's a good thing to understand the deal you have entered and how they do business. Information wins, and more information rules. Sometimes sync fees can be negligible, like background music in a live tv show, so the library may have cut a deal or done a favour, meaning there is nothing to split. Deals can be all over the place in an everyday rumble.
Ceo of my own life

markparr

Post by markparr » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:50 am

Kolstad wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:30 am
Why don't you just ask the library? It's a good thing to understand the deal you have entered and how they do business. Information wins, and more information rules. Sometimes sync fees can be negligible, like background music in a live tv show, so the library may have cut a deal or done a favour, meaning there is nothing to split. Deals can be all over the place in an everyday rumble.
Hi Kolstad,

The libraries have told me that there is no sync deal and I didn't understand why. After reading some of the replies here, it seems that there are very few Sync fees involved in Instrumental cues. I didn't realise this at the time of posting this question.

Although the libraries have simply referred me to my next PRO statement, I wasn't sure if this was standard practice. It appears so.

You live and learn :)

Thank you for all of your replies.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:50 pm