Taxi Forward but Nothing After 1 Year

Got a forward? Wanna brag about it? Post it up.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

alanjmoore
Active
Active

Taxi Forward but Nothing After 1 Year

Post by alanjmoore » Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:56 am

Hi everybody.

This follows on from Michael’s recent video, ‘How Many Music Licensing Catalogs Should You Be In?’ and the discussion about ‘A’ list production libraries vetted by Taxi.

I wonder if I could get your opinion on a Taxi listing from February 2022 (TAXI # S220224CP: CINEMATIC PIANO-Based UNDERSCORE INSTRUMENTALS and/or INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a NEW International Music Licensing Company started by highly experienced, successful founders!).

I was fortunate enough to get a Taxi Forward and got signed by the company in May 2022. Since then, everything has gone quiet and they haven’t even asked for the deliverables. I wrote to the library in September 2022 and, diplomatically, asked if I’d missed any emails from them re delivering the final versions. They replied with, “You did not miss any emails, we’ll request deliverables soon”.

It’s now nearly 1 year since the track was signed and is obviously sitting on the shelf as the library hasn’t even got the master or alt versions.

Now, I’m in no rush, and I’m trying to be professional, but what would you suggest I do? Email again? Ask for the track back? Wait?

(FYI, earlier this year I submitted an album’s worth of material to a long-established publisher in the UK (similar genre to the Taxi listing) and it was accepted and I’ve forwarded all the deliverables. I’m now just waiting to have the album released).

So, did any fellow composers submit to this listing? Have you heard anything back from the library? Is this a typical scenario? Should I be concerned about the quality of this library?

Thanks for the help!

Alan

TimHarrison
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Taxi Forward but Nothing After 1 Year

Post by TimHarrison » Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:22 am

I got a forward on this one too but never heard from the library. Sorry to hear about your situation. I'm not sure what the best thing to do would be. Perhaps contact the library and ask if they need any more music in a similar style. Sounds less "pushy"

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:34 am

Are you sure the library is still active? If so, the above suggestion seems a good idea. It may be whatever project they were working on got cancelled or they had enough music for it. If it were me I'd send them a polite note asking if they need any more tracks and include 3 links (2 uptempo) as a sample.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

alanjmoore
Active
Active

Post by alanjmoore » Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:38 am

hummingbird wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:34 am
Are you sure the library is still active? If so, the above suggestion seems a good idea. It may be whatever project they were working on got cancelled or they had enough music for it. If it were me I'd send them a polite note asking if they need any more tracks and include 3 links (2 uptempo) as a sample.
Hi,

Thanks for that. I actually uploaded a few more cues into their system for them to evaluate but didn't hear back. However, those tracks have since been signed with my UK publisher so they can't have them anyway!

Thanks again!

Alan

alanjmoore
Active
Active

Post by alanjmoore » Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:41 am

TimHarrison wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:22 am
I got a forward on this one too but never heard from the library. Sorry to hear about your situation. I'm not sure what the best thing to do would be. Perhaps contact the library and ask if they need any more music in a similar style. Sounds less "pushy"
Thanks, Tim.

The library's backend allowed me to upload a few more cues to them in various styles. Not heard anything back. They've since been signed to another library.

I'll wait for a but longer but I suspect I might try and get the track back and cut my losses.

Thanks for the help!

Alan

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:58 am

I have been in a bunch of libraries over the years and experienced various levels responsivness and professionalism. Usually the more proactive and engaged they are with the composers and the better and more efficient their systems , it follows that the better the results are in terms of placement rates etc.

I would quietly ditch them, don't make a fuss. Leave the one piano track where it is and but don't chase it any more and just see if they ever get around to requesting the deliverables. Don't burn any bridges as you never know when things might change at a Library but you want to be in libaries that release your tracks within weeks or possiblya few months, not years.

If you want to share the library info privately it's possible I may have some intel on my giant spreadsheet or I can add your experience to my notes and it may help someone else down the line.

Mark

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:59 am

One thing you could do is call Taxi and ask if they have any info on the status of the library. They have direct contact with these libraries and if they make some calls, you are insulated. I can't imagine you are the only one with this issue.

:D Casey

alanjmoore
Active
Active

Post by alanjmoore » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:01 am

Casey H wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:59 am
One thing you could do is call Taxi and ask if they have any info on the status of the library. They have direct contact with these libraries and if they make some calls, you are insulated. I can't imagine you are the only one with this issue.

:D Casey
Thanks, Casey. That's a good idea - might just do that.
Alan

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:08 pm

Did you ever sign any paperwork with this library? If not, take your track and place it elsewhere, they have no rights to it. If you signed it over to them and you've not heard anything, definitely give Taxi a call to give them your professional feedback on this situation. Michael cares about this stuff and Taxi vets its libraries... but no vetting process is perfect, and sometimes people lie for business reasons. If it's been almost a year, you have every right to move on. Personally, i would email the library one more time asking for an update and an explanation. You are will within your right to say "You accepted my track eleven months ago, what is preventing this process from moving forward?" Their response, if they provide one, should be telling. If they do not respond, you are also well within your right to share your opinion and the name of the library as a public service announcement so that other writers don't get pulled into an entirely unprofessional situation like this. Short version: there is no way in hell a business can operate with horrible responsiveness like you are experiencing.
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

alanjmoore
Active
Active

Post by alanjmoore » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:43 pm

Paulie wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:08 pm
Did you ever sign any paperwork with this library? If not, take your track and place it elsewhere, they have no rights to it. If you signed it over to them and you've not heard anything, definitely give Taxi a call to give them your professional feedback on this situation. Michael cares about this stuff and Taxi vets its libraries... but no vetting process is perfect, and sometimes people lie for business reasons. If it's been almost a year, you have every right to move on. Personally, i would email the library one more time asking for an update and an explanation. You are will within your right to say "You accepted my track eleven months ago, what is preventing this process from moving forward?" Their response, if they provide one, should be telling. If they do not respond, you are also well within your right to share your opinion and the name of the library as a public service announcement so that other writers don't get pulled into an entirely unprofessional situation like this. Short version: there is no way in hell a business can operate with horrible responsiveness like you are experiencing.
Thanks, Paul. I agree entirely. Yes, I signed paperwork and I’ll probably contact Taxi to let them know about the situation.

Moving on, I’m working with another library who are much more responsive, so that’s good.

Thanks again.

Alan