Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Taxi is close to worthless for singer/songwriters

Post by Len911 » Sun May 09, 2010 8:16 am

Name of the tip sheet: Taxi
Price: $299 per year + $5 per submission
Our Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Review of Taxi tip sheet:
Founded in 1992, Taxi serves primarily aspiring songwriters and artists looking to place their music in film, TV and with recording artists. Unlike the other tip sheets mentioned, Taxi does not provide direct contact information for the companies and artists looking for music. Instead, all pitch opportunities are disguised (here’s an example: http://tunedata.org/cgi-bin/index.pl/song-music.html) and all pitches are made electronically via the Broadjam (http://www.broadjam.com) service. Taxi’s staff will then screen all submissions and only pass on songs suitable for a given pitch. The advantage of Taxi’s approach is that Taxi provides some quality control and doesn’t inundate music supervisors and A&Rs with unsuitable music for projects. The disadvantage is that Taxi members do not know to whom they are pitching and have another hurdle to overcome. Taxi members appear to be successful with placing their music on film and TV shows, but few have placed their songs with recording artists. We are not aware of any artists that secure a record deal through Taxi. The service features several hundred leads every month.

I think you have a valid point. I came across this review, which gives Taxi a five star rating. It sounds like taxi is more geared toward film and tv shows. That might be 99% of the market, I don't know. But it appears if you are seeking a record deal or to place songs with a recording artist it doesn't look very promising. Ralph Murphy said on one of the recent webcasts that you have to move to Nashville if you want to be a country songwriter. It gets me thinking that maybe I ought to just get the $10 custom critiques and bypass the submission part altogether.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

rnrmachine
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by rnrmachine » Sun May 09, 2010 4:02 pm

That review is at least 2 years old.. because Taxi hasn't been with BJ in that long. I also do know of the $20,000 deal that a taxi member made with america's funniest videos. I do believe he co wrote a song with someone. BUT I don't recall if he outsourced the demo or not. This was quite some time ago now.. at least 3-4 years... I think. It was a country song too. I remember that distinctly, because he talked about what Taxi told him to work on with his song and he made the changes they recomended, I even remember him mentioning the screener told him to work on "the twist" in the song and something else that escapes me. He got that deal, for a country song because of Taxi. I think it was a letter to Taxi from the songwriter thanking Micheal.

I want to add in here.. I left Taxi after 2 years. No deals.. crap for fowards but I can count on my hands and feet how many submissions I did. Aside from that.... I had a song critiqued by Taxi. I made the changes they recomended. I never submitted the song again through Taxi.. I let the subscription run out. I did however submit it through another avenue and it was not only accepted, but it was actually used. After that I felt.. I think I will do another round at Taxi and actually put some REAL effort into it this time.

I am going to MILK the hell out of the critique cow dude... I have submitted stuff that I know don't make the grade but I am lost where to go or what to do... for $5 I am going to have someone chained to a chair via headphones, that HAS to listen to my song and give me an Idea of where to go next and what I should do to improve it... at least it isn't family that loves everything you and I do and has NO ideas for you... and are still in shock that you do all this on a computer...

MILK THAT COW!!! /mmmMMOOOOO

Rob

I wanted to ad.. TAxi never claimed to be the BEST way to make it in music. They only ever claimed to be the SECOND best way. So if you have the time, the resources and the ability to pick up and move to nashville then do it. TRY to get yourself into the scene, knock on doors. Taxi can't compete with that. You better have a wining personality.. some sort of credentials because that line is LONG... LA, NY and Nashville.. all have that street of broken dreams.. littered with the souls of many. So you will need an edge to sell yourself over the next guy. A lot of those songwriters have degrees in some form of writing as well. Pamela Phillips Oland a comtemperary songwriter started out writing stuff for .25 a word and then onto jingles if memory serves me correct, she was also into poetry, THEN she became a songwriter. Her first song was a good poem but a HORRIBLE song.. she put it in her book, I read it, it was a horrible song LOL. Good book imho. ALSO, Of all the few, new sites/places popping up that offer the ability to submit music.. Taxi is the only one I know of that will help you the best way they can AND include the Road Rally. The other sites are.. submit and pray.. that is it.
http://www.taxi.com/johnsteskal
Sonar X1 PE Expanded on a Windows 7 64bit system.
Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
Thermaltake PSU 500watts can run 5 SATA
Asus P5QL PRO Mboard with 4GB of Ram
Radeon X1650 512MB Ram
WD Blue HDrives. OS, Sample, Audio.

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Sun May 09, 2010 10:00 pm

Unless the industry has changed or in the last couple of years there have been a major increase in forwards or several people have obtained recording contracts, I doubt if it really changes the review. I think it puts in perspective the role taxi plays for people who either want to songwrite for recording artists or get signed to a label. I think taxi is the only place I know where you can get valuable critiques, even in the peer to peer, where people don't just tell you, you sound great. The truth may be that you still have to stand in line, and I think it is best if you stand in line with songs that have been critiqued and tuned so you know you're not wasting your time when you do manage to inch yourself to the front of the line, and have a better product to offer. When things are put in perspective, a person doesn't have to beat themselves up any more than they already do, and comparing these type of submissions to film/tv submissions realize that they are on a different level, and are not going to get forwarded as often, despite the fact there might be an even number of listings, much like the difference between going to work everyday and winning the lottery. My guess is that even though there might be an ala Taylor Swift listing, you better have lyrics at the level of Ira Gershwin, especially if you will be standing in line somewhere in Nashville. I think Kevin has a very valid point, though I wouldn't say Taxi is worthless, I think they are invaluable. It can be very frustrating when you try and use a wrench for a hammer, though sometimes it works well as a hammer,lol! Personally, I think if Kevin takes the advice of the critique, he will have something worth standing in line for and even moving to the head of the line.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

Ajetpackoperation
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Ajetpackoperation » Mon May 10, 2010 12:18 am

Hey Kev,

I like your site - artfully designed and relatively easy to navigate. As for the whole wheat/snow deal - I recall the phrase "pure as the driven snow" so, yeah I see where that works. But that's not important now. Taxi screeners are looking for something VERY SPECIFIC in regards to the submissions. If you miss the mark of the listing and get a return it's not really an indictment against you or Taxi - because from where I'm standing and the research I've done Taxi actually does deliver on their claims. It's just a matter of nailing the VERY SPECIFIC criteria for a particular listing.

With all that said. I kinda have to agree that if you are not trying to place music for film and TV and don't make music that fits the VERY SPECIFIC guidelines of mostly all the listings then, yes this place isn't going to help you much. Dirty Projectors, Animal Collective, Prefuse 73, or even Sufjan Stevens would probably get there fair share of returns for many, if not most, of these listings. After hanging around the forums and listening to what was forwarded, I'm happy to say that I saved myself a lot of $$$ on Taxi fees considering that the music I make just doesn't square with the VERY SPECIFIC needs of the Taxi screeners. Don't let this bother you. Your music is good. Pretty soon Pitchfork or Wire might ask to do write-ups on you.

P.S. Don't let anyone tell you, EVER, that your music somehow isn't "commercially viable" and can't find a set of people willing to buy your records or attend your shows. If they even begin to just start waving your arms and blurting out gibberish to drown them out. People actually spend money to see and buy records from Merzbow for crying out loud!

rnrmachine
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by rnrmachine » Mon May 10, 2010 3:41 am

I wanted to add in... I might not be a good songwriter, maybe some of these screeners aren't either, most people suck at it, but we all know good lyrics when we hear them, even the most illiterate person knows good lyrics when he/she hears 'em. The main difference between everyone would be the advice on how to improve upon poor lyrics.

Years ago, the average was, 1 in 10,000 songs was a hit. I don't know if that was top 10, #1 or what.. but really, 1 in 10,000. With how many more people are writing today then 15-20 years ago when I heard that statement. I am willing to bet it is even worse now. If you never went to school, or never did anything in any form of writing for a living then you need to find humility and understand that there are writers out there who not only had natural talent but also have worked their asses off, spent 10s of thousands of dollars to improve going to college. Probably got reamed on by proffessors as they tried with all their heart and soul to improve. Went on to win awards writing for school papers etc... Did crap jobs because it was a step to a larger world and so on...

Being able to write a few tricky or clever lines into a song is NOT hit song writing. I am willing to bet IF someone actually submitted lyrics on par with that level, those lyrics would eventually find their way into the right hands.

All that said, you need to be prepared when taxi comes around with a listing that is right up your alley for songwriting. If you truly have a hit, they will know it. It is NOT difficult for people to recognize a hit song... it's a hell of a lot easier then a self absorbed narcissist who has ego enough for everyone to realize his/her limitations and get over them.

Rob
http://www.taxi.com/johnsteskal
Sonar X1 PE Expanded on a Windows 7 64bit system.
Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
Thermaltake PSU 500watts can run 5 SATA
Asus P5QL PRO Mboard with 4GB of Ram
Radeon X1650 512MB Ram
WD Blue HDrives. OS, Sample, Audio.

kvnlnt
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by kvnlnt » Mon May 10, 2010 3:24 pm

Ok it's about time I addressed all of your feedback. First I want to say how much I appreciate all of you taking the time to deal with me even though most of you have concluded that I'm some frustrated, confused jerk who thinks he's God's gift to songwriting. :D. I did make this post out of frustration. Of course! But also desperation....desperate for somebody who can prove me wrong. I'd also like to add that Written word is much different than in person...my demeanor here is playful. And even though my perspective here is that Taxi seems (I'll refrain from the use of "is") useless for songwriters that does not constitute that I am somehow unprofessional and a "complainer". So please bare with me as I try to justify my seemingly emotionally charged statement. I'll try to address the common curiosities by topic.

My Musical and Taxi Background (which came into question):
I've been writing/performing music for 15 years—originally as a rap artist...I still get paid to write raps btw for artists being produced by grammy award winning producers—that's beside the point....I've been "Officially" pursuing music as a profession for 8. Before really "starting", I started with taking guitar lessons (even though I already could play) because I really wanted to know what I was doing musically. After two years of studying music theory I started recording my own tracks and finally found taxi 5 years ago...got a membership, followed the boards (did not comment, just read), materials, etc...listened to the feedback and took it to HEART. My recordings were clearly not up to par. I spent 2 years saving up money and writing material to get connected with an amazing producer. i worked with that producer for 3 months and 3 years ago I released my solo ep...I spent 15k on the production...and another 10k on promotion, memberships like taxi, you name it...I built up 6,000 friends on myspace, 3,000 on facebook, got my tunes on radio stations around the country (around 20 different stations), made local television and radio appearances, got my tunes onto American Airlines for a month (3 million "potential" listeners they claimed)...I started a blog about my journeys with all these services including sonicbids, taxi, etc... and had 100's of subscribers...I've made friendships and contacts a number of industry professionals, some holding grammy's....I have multiple friends who own Emmys (television)...1 year ago after all that business...I decided to get a Taxi membership again figuring this time I'm better prepared. I've only engaged in the boards for the past 8 months or so thus it may appear that I am a new comer who doesn't know what he's talking about.

Where I'm at now:
I've recently become fete up with my lack of tangible progress. Meaning I've spent about 30k now (I just build a small home studio). I got frustrated enough to delete my facebook and myspace accounts and let all my other accounts everywhere else expire. I guess taxi is just next on my list. I have, however, reopened my facebook account (as recent as about 6 weeks ago)...realizing that I still do need to keep in touch with my fans. So here I am today asking myself....after 5 years of this (taxi world)...where am I? Nowhere. I'm still a guy in my basement making music that my friends, family and hard earned fans love....but will never get heard by a larger audience....and I'm weighing the benefits of all the time and money I'm putting trying to get my tunes "out there". Taxi has promoted itself as that opportunity. Therefore my hopes are high...as well as my expectations....however realistic they may be or not.

What I didn't like about my Review:
Everybody seems to be hung up on the lyrics. Every inch of my soul says not to post them else I'll be engaged in some meaningless subjective discussion about whether or not my lyrics are "good enough" or "commercially viable". Seriously, this is an exercise in futility...I agree there are clear examples of both good and bad lyrics but most lyrics are 100% subjective. It's like discussing what the best color is. It would be more meaningful to discuss what's the best color for a given application. The only tangible application here is whether or not my song was good enough for this listing. I think it is. So for your benefit, I will provide my lyrics with my own interpretation and why I think it is commercially viable and up to par (Even great). First, artistically I'd like to reference Immanuel Kant's opinion that a direct appeal to the senses is "barbaric"...lyrics should be...well...Poetic!!! I will admit there is a danger there and that this can be take too far....Therefore I try to ride the line between being "obvious for the sake of media and poetic for the sake of artistry"....also I'd like to point out that inflection gives just as much meaning to lyrics as well...so if any of you want to get all literal on me...you're in danger of me flagging you as an intellectually artistic infant.

My mind is a raging sea
It's an ocean that terrifies me
(setting the stage, using well known imagery for troube i.e storm, etc...aka I'm troubled, drawing the listener into the storyline, no "thinking" required)
Don't worry, that's what they say
'cause in time you're gonna be ok
(introducing emotion, character development, this is how this person is "viewing the world" i.e. people give encouragement but it feels empty, there seems to be no answer)

When I am hungry
(what food?, no, spiritual food...very common metaphor in spiritual/christianese...)
you feed me cause you are
(you, who? God...desperation from verse is answered )

You are the wheat fields
(again imagery, tied in with hungry/feed....used to convey soft flowing field, meadowish, calmness, spring/summer)
pure as snow
(contrast to previous line referencing a spring/summer setting to snow a fall/winter setting....changing seasons, landscape, etc...white like a dove, white like pure, without blemish like a sacrificial lamb, again very common metaphor in spiritual/christianese )
You are a fountain
to my soul
(do I need to 'splain this one? Again spiritual metaphor fountain of youth/life, etc??)
You are the whisper
(Still quite voice of God talking to your heart, again common spiritual theme)
You are the plains
(Using imagery again to convey a big large expansive landscape to contrast the "whisper" which is small, interplay between concrete and abstract nouns increases effect of poetic feel)
You are a calm wind
(peaceful..melody diving to give calming effect to land on the chorus which has a soulful melody climb to provide a sense of peace, a peach that God's in control)
Author Of Change
(aka God...Author of life, Author of all that happens...aka Change...thus I need not worry that my mind is troubled. Using the metahpor "Author Of Change" allows my song to be used in a christian or spiritual context alike....aka giving it much more commercial viability - Christian/secular radio, etc...)

I'm like a train when I'm on that track
(Sometimes I feel good and going full steam ahead)
When I move, you just push me right back
(God helps keeps me aligned aka "on the tracks")
This is something I can't explain
when I try it just sounds in vain
(people who don't have a spiritual walk don't understand the spiritual struggle of fighting against oneself...again this is a christian concept....this song is for a christian audience!! I guarantee Christians would "get" this. The last line references when trying to share ones belief system with another you get weird looks like you're crazy...it can feel like only you know what it means)

Damned if I do, Damned if I don't:
I also wanted to follow with one comment that doesn't fit anywhere else. It's true that artists want to write their own songs....so demand for other's material is low. However, if somebody wanted to use this song and wanted to use the word "gold" instead of "snow" for no other reason than to put their name on the writing royalties...BE MY GUEST, TOTALLY UNDERSTANDABLE!!! I mean come on that's like 1/100th of the song and super duper subjective...such a critical approach to any song would find it wanting.

Taxi's Review Processes:
I'm not going to go into detail else I'll be here all night about why it doesn't work. And I don't want to be flagged as some whiny baby. I do have solutions and ideas that would help. Here' s my idea: Taxi needs 3 screeners per song (or at least the option)...I'd pay more per submission too. Screening works the same way, just you're forwarding is based off a three way vote, not one. Also, Taxi let's anybody become a member. If they don't have the time to review good submissions thoroughly, that's not my fault. They need to prescreen the talent pool. If the screeners are so sure of themselves they should be able to tell somebody if they are going to waste their $300+ for the year. SERIOUSLY!!!! They need to adopt a a system that has some checks and balances like a 3 screener review. This helps out human error, bias, bad ham sandwich for lunch, wife on the phone prior to review your song...or how about musical context? What if the song before yours was AMAZING? Or mastered at twice the volume? There are serious psycho-acoustic effects at play. Don't get me started about the fact that 90% of my favorite songs did NOT strike me as amazing the first time I heard them. Bottom line, Taxi screening process is too simplistic and is a disservice to "songs"...not to be confused with "instrumentals". Especially, especially, especially songs that are to be REPRODUCED!!!! I have no opportunity to explain myself here??? You all may say "it should be self evident"...really? That just ruled about 90% of my favorite songs

....also, I'd like to add that I would hope the person critiquing me is every bit as skilled as I am at the craft...they are "supposed to be"...we wouldn't know, it's all hidden. But when I get the word "gold" suggested to me.. I'm assuming "gold" for wheat??? Maybe. What does that have to do with the Author of Change? It wasn't a song about the wizard of OZ. Seriously, if the screener said "the aritst won't like this song"...it's not their thing and selected "not on target"...I'd have nothing to say...sad thing is, there is no discussion. Just a nope. You're done...and that's it. That's not fair...it really isn't. If three screeners independently say, nope and all for the same reason!!! Then hey, that's saying something!!! Even if the screener is some amazing songwriter themselves (what are they doing working for taxi BTW?)...even they make errors in judgement and their own tastes would vastly differ from a peer with equal skill. It's human nature...

OK, I've given enough time and effort into this reply...again thank you all for taking the time to talk with me....and some of you, talk "at" me....you guys are great...

-K
Stop it some more
www.kevinlint.com

kvnlnt
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by kvnlnt » Mon May 10, 2010 3:48 pm

Where do I start? You took shots at my website, my lyrics, my song, my bio, my professionalism and said I was blaming taxi for my "lack of success". Thanks Peer? I"m sure you were just trying to be "real" but I'm also pretty sure defending all of those would be a lost cause with you...I'll be sure to take notice of when you become a national touring act in 12-24 months...I sincerely hope you get what you're you are looking for.
wta wrote:"You are the wheat field, pure as snow"? Makes no sense. I don't feel your lyric/imagery supported the "Author of Change" hook either and I couldn't understand many of the words sung. Instrumentally, this is a good production and warranting high marks but I feel this screener did a good job, hands down.
I'm not convinced the music commercial music industry is a good fit for you as an artist, I checked out your website and your front page was a big red flag but when I read your "bio" the verdict was in...

My suggestion is you apologize for blaming Taxi for your lack of success, suck it up and either fine tune your approach or find other outlets for your work. I'm a singer/songwriter/performing artist and Taxi helped me get off the bench and into the game, hands down I owe Michael, Taxi and this forum for my regional success as a performing artist and look to be a national act in the next 12 - 24 months.

The sad thing here is the only thing this thread has proven is your lack of professionalism. Not trying to be mean, just real.

wta
EDIT: Commercial=Licensable I should have been more clear, I felt the context lended itself to this definition but it seems I needed to be more specific in my wording for a poster on the next page... Cheers. Oh I should add that I didn't say I didn't like the website, just that it gave me the opposite impression of the type of presentation that I would expect from a website communicating to industry professionals risking their reputation on representing an artist's music.
Stop it some more
www.kevinlint.com

jnmorrison
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jnmorrison » Mon May 10, 2010 4:17 pm

Dude -

Have you called Taxi and talked to somebody? Have to you talked with Michael, or the head screener, or somebody from member services?
I think this is a case where you need to talk to somebody within the service, and stop whinging about it publicly.

I'm not judging whether you are right, or wrong, but it's very obvious that you aren't cooling off.
I think you need to take this to TAXI themselves - they ARE a service for the members, and I'm sure they would talk with you about this.

I wish you all the best my friend. As we all do - we want to succeed, and we want to see our peers succeed.

Keep up the fight! You have talent, and you have quality material!
5 years you said you've been at this...not so bad, but you're a baby yet! (as am I!) Have you seen "Anvil: The story of Anvil"?
Here's a band with 9 albums and 40 YEARS of pushing to make it! Sometimes, it just don't come easy!
Keep it up!

All the best, seriously!
Cheers,
Nick

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Mon May 10, 2010 5:08 pm

I want to address that "close to worthless" claim with a question. Did you go to a Rally? It's a relationship business, so we're told, and in my opinion, most of the value in a Taxi membership lies in going to the conference; small wonder if you feel frustrated with your progress, or that you haven't gotten your money's worth, if you didn't capitalize on that opportunity. Is it possible you've been straddling a line between being an artist and writing for artists? If you're doing both, that can be a lot of plates to keep spinning. (ask me how I know ;) ) I believe your frustration is evident in your words, regardless of the tone, and I think this may be about more than just this one song. At the end of the day, eights are not tens; fix this one or move on to the next one, and maybe re-evaluate your goals and direction.

Okay, now that I've listened, I agree with the screener, the lyrics are a tad weak. (I woulda wrote "you're a flower in the snow" or a specific two-syllable perennial, maybe a daisy or a lily) You've hit a double, not a homer, here; it'd make a strong album track maybe even a single, it could run over the end credits of a movie, but I don't hear the undeniable hit they're looking for. I have no doubt it could find a home, jes' not for this listing. Excellent work.
Last edited by mojobone on Mon May 10, 2010 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

kvnlnt
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by kvnlnt » Mon May 10, 2010 5:16 pm

Thanks Mojobone...I honestly don't have the cash to fly down to the "Rally"...maybe if I got a placement one of these years!!! :P
mojobone wrote:I want to address that "close to worthless" claim with a question. Did you go to a Rally? It's a relationship business, so we're told, and in my opinion, most of the value in a Taxi membership lies in going to the conference; small wonder if you feel frustrated with your progress, or that you haven't gotten your money's worth, if you didn't capitalize on that opportunity. Is it possible you've been straddling a line between being an artist and writing for artists? If you're doing both, that can be a lot of plates to keep spinning. (ask me how I know ;) ) I believe your frustration is evident in your words, regardless of the tone, and I think this may be about more than just this one song. At the end of the day, eights are not tens; fix this one or move on to the next one, and maybe re-evaluate your goals and direction.
Stop it some more
www.kevinlint.com