Taxi members hate modern music. True or False?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

burpo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Taxi members hate modern music. True or False?

Post by burpo » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:32 am

Yes. Absolutely.
burpo
Stephen Debonrepos
"Flufferpuff" on TAXI TV
http://www.taxi.com/burpo

Long-time hobby musician

cardell
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cardell » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:44 am

burpo wrote:Yes. Absolutely.
:lol: :lol: ...I considered saying that too...the direct Zen approach... :lol:

Stuart
Cardell Music
Image Image
“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:33 am

All Taxi members are not participating in the forums, and I think the aspiring and developing members are highly represented in the peer to peer forums. That's guys like me who are developing their songwriting/ compositions and production chops, looking for advice from more experienced writers, musicians and producers.

If you listen to the Taxi U-stream shows, there's a lot of music in the "modern" ballpark, from the top members of Taxi, who doesn't post in the peer to peer section. Just to say, Taxi is much more than is represented in these forums (and there's also a market that requests music from other era's - which doesn't have to be deemed "dated", btw. The point here is to make music someone have USE for. That's what professionals in here do).

Considering how great these forums are, that's something worth considering when trying to make reductions and generalizations.. ;)
Ceo of my own life

fusilierb
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by fusilierb » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:03 am

I refuse to write anything that doesn't sound like it's at least four thousand years old.

cardell
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cardell » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:08 am

fusilierb wrote:I refuse to write anything that doesn't sound like it's at least four thousand years old.
Oh man, which VSTi's do you use for that...spill the beans... :lol:

Stuart
Cardell Music
Image Image
“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:42 am

fusilierb wrote:I refuse to write anything that doesn't sound like it's at least four thousand years old.
:lol: :lol: That must be the combined age of all 120 tracks in a piece, right?
Ceo of my own life

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:21 am

burpo wrote:Yes. Absolutely.
:lol:

It's actually part of the membership agreement as well as a requirement for entrance into the Taxi Rally...

Bouncer: What do you think of modern music?
Taxi Member: (making an "icky" face) I hate it
Bouncer: You're good to go. NEXT!!

8-)

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jdstamper » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:01 pm

At my age and years of playing, I guess I'm a "seasoned" musician.

I like music of today, tomorrow (probably), 50 years ago, a thousand years ago. Good music is good music. If I was stuck in any one time period, or any one style, I'd be denying myself the gift of hearing more great music. The last few years I like listening to the Foo Fighters, Linkin Park, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, the Civil Wars, Coldplay, Daft Punk, Wilco, Lady Antebellum ...

Is this modern music, or is it just new? I'm not sure I care, it just sounds good. Likewise, I hope that young musicians are listening to some music of past generations. It's all good.

Jim
Jim Stamper
Production Music ... from Underscore to Overdrive
https://www.taxi.com/members/jimstamper

Kelil
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Kelil » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:37 pm

You said it JD. If we can not learn how to enjoy it all, whats the point in being involved in music at all right? :lol: I like listening to blues music but I could never write a blues song. Its all good, we just have our own preferences and abilities I guess.

rpittelman
Impressive
Impressive

Post by rpittelman » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:07 pm

False

If any "musician" says that they hate an entire style or genre then they aren't really a musician.

I try to pride myself on growing and expanding the styles of music that I feel comfortable in writing. That is usually accomplished by listening to modern music. I love orchestral film music but I also spend time listening to top 40 radio stations. Why? Because I want to know what's current and what is selling. I feel that to be successful in the film/tv music world you need to be diverse and you need to be able to sound current when that's what is called for.

I've recently gotten numerous placements on Access Hollywood through Taxi and it is all House/Dance music. Actually, I hadn't spent very much time writing in this style until I had the opportunity with this library. I spent many many hours listening to tons of different electronica artists both current and some older. I spent even longer working on writing and producing music which sounded stylistic for the genre. One of the side effects of this project for me is that I'm now into guys like Deadmau5 and Skrillex. I had never even heard of them till I started doing my research.

Ok, now I'll contradict myself. There actually is a style of music that I hate. Stupid Christmas music. I don't mean the old classics I mean songs like, "Grandma Got run over by a reindeer". I really can't stand that stuff. Other than that I can find things I like in any style