TAXI Nashville/Country Panel June 8th, 2009

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jay10music
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

TAXI Nashville/Country Panel June 8th, 2009

Post by jay10music » Wed May 20, 2009 8:54 am

Okay guys and gals, I've got this thing nailed down for Monday, June 8th at 5:30PM in Nashville. Panelists so far are:Cliff Audretch III, Sr. Director of A&R at Universal South. He's also been producing major label acts, and for many years was a publisher at Windswept Nashville.Steve Markland, President of Crossfire3 Music Publishing, and prior to starting that company was President of Windswept Nashville for many years, where he published Jeffrey Steele among others.Ralph Murphy, VP of ASCAP Nashville, a hit songwriter in his own right, and also he publishes Murphy's Law, some of the BEST common sense, eye opening advice for writers in the Country market.Sherrill Blackman, Has been voted Songplugger of the Year numerous times. Works with the VERY best writers in Nashville and gets tons of cuts for them. He handles a small list of writers, and it's amazing to know how many other top writers are on his waiting list.Wiseman is going to be out of town all summer and can't join us, but I've already asked Steele. If he can't do it, I'll ask Rivers Rutherford. I'm sure I can get a huge writer to join us.Here's the deal. I've booked a room for 100 people. I promise to play songs from at LEAST Cam, Perry and Chits (you'd better come if you you're feeling good enough, young lady) I'm going to invite members first, and if I've got seats available, I'll invite some non-members, probably from the forum first.Downbeat will most likely be at 5:30PM SHARP. It will be at the Loew's Vanderbilt Hotel in one of the ballrooms.I'm pulling in some favors from some of my best friends in Nashville to make this happen. I'm dropping several thousand dollars to rent the ballroom, cover travel, etc. I've been getting pestered for a couple years to do a Mini Rally in Nashville, and now I am. I want to see a great turnout for this. I don't want to look like a shnook and have a handful of people show up.You've got more than two weeks to get it together, so no excuses. Call in sick, get the car tuned up, buy a plane ticket, do whatever you have to do. Perry, you were the flashpoint. I think you need to be there and you need to ask the same questions you did on this forum. None of this, "I'm bowing out." stuff. You don't get to come on this public forum and make your case, then bow out once you know I've got the heavy guns showing up to hear your music. I would like you to play EXACTLY the songs you referenced. No remixes, no changes. Let's keep it apples and apples. Please bring the listings they were submitted for and I'll read those to the people on the panel.If they tell me that TAXI was wrong in not sending them, then you'll get a nice, big apology from me, right then and there.I'd like all of you who will be there to post if you're coming here on this thread. I will send out an invite to other TAXI Country members, but want to start the process here. Would somebody also let Claire know? And could somebody point me back to the thread where all those folks were saying they wanted a TAXI Rally in Nashville?Squids, I really hope you can come. I'd love to finally meet you. Ted, I'll take you up on your offer to help. I might have you checking people in at the door.This is going to be an awesome event, if you miss it, I will personally hunt you down. See you soon,Michael

bigbluebarry
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: TAXI Nashville Panel June 8th, 2009

Post by bigbluebarry » Wed May 20, 2009 8:59 am

Count me in!I think this is the thread you were referring to about the "Nashville Rally" - http://taxi.proboards.com/index.cgi?act ... 21&page=1- Big Blue
Imagine a steel cage match between Daughtry, Coldplay, Paramore and Demon Hunter with Joe Satriani as the referee...

http://www.taxi.com/bigbluebarry
http://www.bigbluebarry.com
http://www.twitter.com/bigbluebarry

perrysmith
Impressive
Impressive

Re: TAXI Nashville Panel June 8th, 2009

Post by perrysmith » Wed May 20, 2009 9:18 am

Michael said:"Perry, you were the flashpoint. I think you need to be there and you need to ask the same questions you did on this forum. None of this, "I'm bowing out." stuff. You don't get to come on this public forum and make your case, then bow out once you know I've got the heavy guns showing up to hear your music. I would like you to play EXACTLY the songs you referenced. No remixes, no changes. Let's keep it apples and apples. Please bring the listings they were submitted for and I'll read those to the people on the panel."There is a small problem with this: (1) the only question I asked was whether it was a good decision to try to improve before submitting to listings again since I had a rate of o% on forwards; (2) I did not reference any songs whatsoever (except to link to my site); (3) I said expressly that I agreed with the critiques; and (4) I did not make any case except that you were unfairly attempting to turn what I said into something sinister.So what do you want from me? Do you want me to go to Nashville and pretend I was a jerk and started some thread stating that I should have been forwarded, when I never said such a thing? Do you want me to pretend to have disagreed with the critiques when I expressly said I agreed with them? Do you want me to claim to have referenced songs that should have been forwarded when I made no such reference to even a single song? It sounds like you want me there so you can attempt to humiliate me in front of your fans and industry friends. And to do so, you need me to make some claims I never made and some "case" I never made. And I am supposed to drop everything and say, "Hell yeah, let's go to Nashville and be held out for all to see as a public example of songwriting suckage!"The thread disappeared or anyone could go read for themselves and see. But a lot of people read it, and they all know I never made the claims you seem to continue to think I did.Respecfully and with regret about what has transpired,Perrymy tunes are at www.perrysmith.com

jay10music
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: TAXI Nashville/Country Panel June 8th, 2009

Post by jay10music » Wed May 20, 2009 9:31 am

Hi Perry,I'm not trying to humiliate you or anybody else. You were frustrated that TAXI didn't forward your songs and this is a perfect opportunity to learn where the bar is set, what you might try to improve to get over it, to learn some nuances of getting cuts in Nashville, and hopefully to find that somebody on the panel will like one of your songs. That simple. No hidden agenda. No conspiracy. Just an awesome opportunity on several levels.I took the thread down because several members emailed me to say they thought it made the membership as a whole look a little bit bad. I left it up for some time, even after people had stopped posting on it.thanksMLP.S. To all, I am doing this to help you learn from the best Nashville has to offer. Nobody is more frustrated than I am when we can't forward something. If I can get you guys in the room with people who do the job on the Row every day, and you learn from that, go home and write songs with a better shot, then I've served my membership well. That's my intent. If you'd like me to play the songs anonymously, I'll be happy to. Remember, I'm also asking the panelists to bring some songs to play that demonstrate what works in Nashville. I can't think of a better opportunity to get up close and personal with these gents.

claire
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by claire » Wed May 20, 2009 10:02 am

Wish I could be there but I will be in New York taking care of my mother (nursing home) and father (needy, living at home) from June 6th to the 9th. Since I'm not a Taxi member any more anyhow, it probably doesn't matter if I'm there or not other than it would have been nice to put faces to names. If anyone wants to play any of my songs for the boys I'll be more than happy to burn a CD and mail it to you.Claire

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Wed May 20, 2009 10:57 am

I'd consider going, even if I don't currently write country music, I've attempted to do so in the past, and I know I'd learn a heck of a lot from an event like this. Hope other TAXI members get on board!
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

jwebbinspired
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jwebbinspired » Wed May 20, 2009 10:59 am

I'm signed up for a workshop in Columbus the night before, but I think I'm going to be there.Andy

cameron
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cameron » Wed May 20, 2009 11:06 am

First of all Michael, a big THANKS for pulling this together. I'll be there, come hell or high water. I'll be serving a six month apprenticeship with Ash Street Music in Nashville starting next month. That doesn't mean I'll be living in Nashville, but I'll be spending several days a month there. This means two trips there for me in June, but who could pass this up!Claire, I'll be happy to take a CD of your songs. In case you don't know her songs Michael, shes about the best we've got. I don't mean any disrespect to anyone else, as we have lots of talent here, but Claire's songs are first rate.Michael, if I can assist Taxi in anyway during my regular trips there, please let me know.Cam

matthoggard
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matthoggard » Wed May 20, 2009 11:35 am

IM already going to be there. Was going to leave to drive home on the 8th but I think the wife will let me stay one more day!Ill know for sure tomorrow. I really hope the rest of us country writers will make a showing.Heck of an oppurtunity!!Thanks ML!!Matt p.s. If the boss (wife) is ok with it I will have the whole day of the 8th open so I can help with things if needed.

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Wed May 20, 2009 11:39 am

Whoo Hoo, Michael! I'll be there in Nashville with bells on! I'm not trying to be humbler than thou either....if my songs aren't the caliber of Perry's or Cam's, you don't have to play 'em for folks....it's not that I'm being altruistic..., I just want TAXI to look its very best! I know I write good songs, but if they are not 'quite there' yet, no prob....I will continue to learn, and maybe you can play them next time around. More than anything, I'm just tickled that I'll get to meet with you again and meet all my fellow country songwriters! And of course, the non-country songwriters too. It sounds like you've got a list of really heavy hitters! Thanks for being so caring and good to us all, Mr. L.!I am so excited....this might be the start of a little mini-Rally in Nashville.Squiddy can come stay with me over the weekend again, and we can both just meet all y'all up there....I will probably bring my husband too if that's okay, but if there's not enough room, he'll understand, no prob at all.BTW, I owe Squiddy and others an e-mail....I will answer soon.And congrats, Cam on your apprenticeship.