Taxi newbie lookin' for advice

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

tom123

Taxi newbie lookin' for advice

Post by tom123 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:04 pm

Hi Everybody,I just joined Taxi about a month ago, and was wondering if I could get some feedback on my songs. I have completed three so far and they are posted on Broadjam. Any critique would be appreciated...even just one sentance if you're pressed for time. Also, I sung all three of the songs and I'm certainly not a professional singer. I'd love to hear someone else record their vocals on a song of mine. If you'd like to have a go at it, just let me know!Sincerely,Tom Jacksonwww.broadjam.com/tomjackson

arkjack
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Taxi newbie lookin' for advice

Post by arkjack » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:34 pm

Hi TomGave a listen to heart's desire... nice song... the beginning was a little rough in production... the instrumental solo between verses is filler... what counts for taxi is the lyric as far as song pitches go... your structure... AAB ?? suggests maybe you should top the bottle off with at least a half glass at the end.... back to a verse... that repeats the hook.... heart's desire... Review your lyrics and decide if you have chiches forced rhymes and overused phrases that detradt from the freshness... screeners will gig you on that... In the vocal department... I gots da same problems with pitch.... my vox ain't what it was years ago..... Good luck with the music ... I'll see you around here on the board... ArkJack

tom123

Post by tom123 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:07 pm

I guess you are right on target. Many of your comments about that song were the same thing the screen said. Thanks for the help.

tom123

Post by tom123 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:07 pm

I meant to say "screener."

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by gitarrero » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:14 am

Hi tom,just listening...my hearts desire: I think you have the wrong kind of reverb on the guitar - sounds like a cathedral-setting. Try a plate instead.the drums sound programmed and untight. leadguitar sound is too sharp.what comes after....: piano sounds way to quantized/programmed. drums are not tight (ride/kick, snare). vocal is too loud, so are the strings. intonation on the vocals is sometimes a little out...from the standpoint of the songwriting it didn't "hit" me - I can't remember the hooks. From the arrangement I would suggest to thighten it up - "don't bore us, doris, get to the chorus";)I think your voice-character is not bad, you might just improve the singing-technique and edit a little (autotune).Sorry if my critique is too hard, I hope not to discourage you! You should hear my first demos... uaaaah;))) cheers,Martin
production, composition & stringed instruments

tom123

Post by tom123 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:21 am

No problem! Thanks for posting.

liamkelly
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by liamkelly » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:18 pm

TomLose the guitar break at 1.20 - it doesn't add anything and in fact detracts a lot. Careful with the outro vocals, they're pitchy. Lower key?The reverb on the vox is all wrong.But the song isn't.It has a great verse - play with it and see what kind of choruses you can come up with.And BTW, felll free to criticise my crap at www.liamkellylive.com As you'll see I'm no expert. Just trying to help.Liam