Taxi's A & R

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

bwrenhewmach
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Taxi's A & R

Post by bwrenhewmach » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:55 pm

Really I could care less about this subject. Someone posted a question and I gave my opinion. Any document without a signature is worthless that's a fact. I get signed reviews some free others 35-40 dollars but I also don't pay a yearly fee to them. Enough said. Sorry for stating my opinion I won't let it happen again unless I PM somebody or call Taxi and ask if its OK and fits the stated or assumed rules. MBmb

heinsite
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by heinsite » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:21 pm

here's my 2 cents--WHY IN THE HELL CAN'T TAXI (AND THIS IS A DAMNED GOOD SUGGESTION BTW) JUST PRINT THE CREDENTIALS OF THE SCREENER, JUST A SHORT ONE LINER--NO NEED FOR NAMES, ADDRESSES, HATE MAIL, BAG OF DOGPOOP ON FIRE ON THE DOORSTEP....ETC.WOULDN'T THAT HELP? FOR ME, I'M STILL WAITING FOR MY SUGGESTION FROM 3 YEARS AGO OR SO, AND SEVERAL OTHERS I BELIEVE WERE PROMISED THAT ON THE Y/N LISTINGS, TAXI WOULD ADD A FEW (3?) BOXES, ONE CHECKED AS TO THE CLOSEST REASON WHY THE TUNE DIDN'T CUT IT--AS IT IS NOW, BEING TOLD IT JUST DIDN'T FIT IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH FROM ANY ORGANIZATION THAT ESPOUSES HELPING SONGWRITERS ET AL GET SIGNED....there is just too much i have to say about the "HIGH BAR" AND THE LACK OF FORWARDS FOR THIS IMAGINARY AND VERY CONVENIENT SET OF WORDS, for some of us who write damned good songs--yeah yeah yeah, i know, BUT THE MANTRA THAT ONE'S SONG HAS TO BE BETTER THAN THOSE ON THE RADIO IS LUDICROUS LADIES AND GENTLEMEN....no new talent would ever be discovered--or is--based on THAT LOGIC!!that's all i got--I AM GOING TO THE RALLY, I'M PITCHING ALL OF MY DEMOS, WANT TO HEAR WHY I'M SO DAMNED NOT GOOD ENOUGH, but of course, as always, my mind IS OPEN FOLKS...but with the economy the way it is, and HIGH BAR being what is being pitched to us the way it is, there will be fewer and fewer intelligent, worthwhile tunes to be passed on--or in my case, turned down....for too often NOT GOOD ENOUGH REASONS!!see you soon, hope to meet many of you, warren hein

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:52 pm

Warren, you do not have an open mind. You're shouting with CAPS and you have linked getting forwards thru Taxi, with the economy. That just isn't logical. If you are thinking that your songwriting is going to make a big difference in the level of income you bring into your family, you need to make sure you are exhausting EVERY other avenue of potential music revenue. It is absolutely ludicrous to believe that Taxi forwards are going to make any of us millionaires. You might be able to create a 6 figure income, over a 10 year period, if you keep placing 100 pieces of music every year. That's just a wacko estimate on my part, based on how much I have wanted to believe what you think. But I've done the math, and I continue to research it. If the market was there to create 10 millionaires a year, there would be thousands more people joining Taxi. The DEMAND, for the songs, isns't great enough to warrant that many more people joining. This isn't stock speculation, not flipping houses. There are a finite number of BIG TICKET placements, for the entire entertainment industry. There are millions of 4 and even 5 figure placements opportunities. If you get enough of those, you can retire on the income they generate. But the one song, that is so awesome that it sells millions of copies, is almost a thing of the past. Just do the research, instead of living in a dream world of wishing how things could be. I gotta go do a gig, I can't stay and argue. Oct 25, 2008, 5:21pm, heinsite wrote:that's all i got--I AM GOING TO THE RALLY, I'M PITCHING ALL OF MY DEMOS, WANT TO HEAR WHY I'M SO DAMNED NOT GOOD ENOUGH, but of course, as always, my mind IS OPEN FOLKS...but with the economy the way it is, and HIGH BAR being what is being pitched to us the way it is, there will be fewer and fewer intelligent, worthwhile tunes to be passed on--or in my case, turned down....for too often NOT GOOD ENOUGH REASONS!!see you soon, hope to meet many of you, warren hein

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:58 pm

Oct 25, 2008, 4:55pm, bwrenhewmach wrote:Really I could care less about this subject. Someone posted a question and I gave my opinion. Any document without a signature is worthless that's a fact. I get signed reviews some free others 35-40 dollars but I also don't pay a yearly fee to them. Enough said. Sorry for stating my opinion I won't let it happen again unless I PM somebody or call Taxi and ask if its OK and fits the stated or assumed rules. MBmbThere's nothing wrong with stating an opinion, but it seemed like you didn't like the answers other posters shared. I figured if you wanted the *real* answer to your question, you'd call Taxi and ask why you can't get signed Custom Critiques. They are honestly the only people who can tell you 'yes we can do that, but it will cost this much' or 'no we can't do that & here's why'. Aren't they?
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

weapon
Impressive
Impressive

Post by weapon » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:14 pm

OK, if you don't agree with a critique you can always email taxi and they will address it thoroughly and quickly. And having a screener sign there actual name is dangerous and frikking idiotic, do you know how many nuts there are in this world that would kill you just as look at you, use your head man. I'm glad they don't sign their name, it allows them to be absolutely honest with you. Fact is, they are made to be nicer than I'm sure they want to be, there are probably thousands of times they just want to tell someone that they are awful and should seek life elsewhere, but they still show integrity and give you constructive critism. If they tell you it's not good enough, here's a hint, take that, use it as fuel, and get better, so that one day you will get one that says that it's great and you've got a deal.

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:33 pm

Oct 25, 2008, 6:14pm, weapon wrote: Fact is, they are made to be nicer than I'm sure they want to beWow. Thanks, Weapon (John, my friend), for reminding me of this fact.It's true. TAXI regularly reviews it's screener's reviews. If they speak to us like assholes, rather than making simple, honest "suggestions" about how to get smarter/better at this, TAXI sends them packing.I SWEAR, I am not making this up.Something to consider, is all I'm saying.Ted
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

weapon
Impressive
Impressive

Post by weapon » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:40 pm

They're definitely nicer than I would be......the Taxi Wolf strikes again...

flyingtadpole
Impressive
Impressive

Post by flyingtadpole » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:31 pm

Oct 25, 2008, 6:14pm, weapon wrote:OK, if you don't agree with a critique ...Hey, no collateral damage with that there flensing spear, weapon, mildBill was saying:Oct 25, 2008, 12:14pm, bwrenhewmach wrote:....my problem is not with the critiques. 8,9,and 10s are the scores I have been getting and the screeners have been nothing but positive and supportive of my music. I just think as we build our resumes it would be nice to have signed reviews by respected A&R people. ...But hey, I'd have no problem with critiques either if I could consistently get those scores. And forwards. But this discussion is clearly at an impasse. Taxi runs a business model which we signed up to. Lots of us can see good reason to protect the identities of screeners. And of all the good reasons NOT to give screener's names, I think this is one of the best...Oct 25, 2008, 6:14pm, weapon wrote:...I'm glad they don't sign their name, it allows them to be absolutely honest with you. TimThe journey's not the issue, it's the Return!!!

weapon
Impressive
Impressive

Post by weapon » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:41 pm

I think people in general are impatient, one of the first things I have learned is not to expect immediate satisfaction in this business, so if they are giving you 8s, 9s, and 10s, it means your almost there, the only thing they are going to forward are all 10s, plain and simple, so that should be eveyone's goal, perfection, then problems like these will no longer even come up.

heinsite
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by heinsite » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:13 pm

steve----i've told you this before, and i'll say it one more time: i use the quick reply, and i am NOT yelling, but accentuating. you are a very smart man, and MUST remember that i seldom (ever) use the alphabet soup thing...period, and you must remember me telling you this, but you're a busy guy, and maybe not. so i'm telling you again. i'm not yelling, and when i do i'll tell you! --i did NOT link my forwards with taxi's success or vice versa--i was speaking of taxi's FUTURE, and the possibilities of what may happen. simple as that, and using many of "us" as an example. if i did a crappy job, then i did a CRAPPY JOB! don't think so, but hell, as i remember our talk, we both write very fast, no? --i did again bitch about the ridiculous high bar, and the ridiculous lack of forwards, and that many folks (who have actually talked to me man) have said they are leaving, because of that high bar that is...well, read my post, i don't like repeating myself.--my opinions are based on my personal facts, pure and simple. you may not like them, disagree with them, but you will NEVER (that was a YELL, first one LOL) convince me that i do not have a valid point/points. i will never question your truths, don't question mine. i told you a confidential story over the phone, and it still haunts me. i do not lie. i never lie.--i have a very good sense of right and wrong, and have a very good sense of what is "quality" and what is crap. not being forwarded IS A BIG DAMNED DEAL TO ME, because i'm all about what is fair, what is real and what is right. yeah i know, one man's this is another man's that, etc. but i believe in my music, many others do too. but with taxi screeners, well, let's just say the "that a boys'" can only go so far, and the "i almost forwarded you, but." can only go so far. though it is now becoming less of a big deal, as you know more than i what it takes to succeed in this biz. oh, and speaking of biz...--i do NOT EXPECT to make a million friggin' dollars, again, i made it clear, and thought you got it on the phone that night, that i have one goal--and i recognize that it is damned near impossible in this day and age, and that is to hear one of my songs--ONE--on the radio someday. period. we know it sounds very simple, but also that it will be damned near impossible. i REALLY TRY to be into reality man. really!--now, ALL THAT SAID (still not yelling man--when i yell, you will know it...) if taxi continues to NOT forward quality tunes (many of mine, sorry if you may not like a few, or hell, maybe NONE of them meet anybody's standards) then what i said in my post is even more important, no? and that is that the contacts i've made here on the forums have been worth the price of admission. but to a point that we all have to decide what is enough, and who is really helping who (whom?) , that is up to each of us to decide.ok, that's it, and you get what i would give a 7 tonight on your response, cuz what i said wasn't spit back quite the way i said it--or like many of my lyrics, hell, maybe i just wasn't understood because i'm not good enough! or hell, way ahead of the pack sometimes...and TRULY that is always the stark reality of this life, no? we all pick our playgrounds, if we're smart. i picked this one, it DID NOT PICK ME. see you at the rally. i'll be the guy about six-one, a bit fat, bald, and i write damned good tunes. i will say hello, and shake your hand if i see you. that you can trust if nothing else.all the bestwarren