Taxi Tech Guy Contact

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

philsmith
Active
Active

Taxi Tech Guy Contact

Post by philsmith » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:10 pm

At this year's Road Rally (2018), they changed the submission format for the listening panels. They used a DISCO web page of submissions, then used random.org in a separate browser tab to get a random number to choose the selection to review. I noticed several things, that the operator had to switch tabs, and that just because a number is random it doesn't mean it can't repeat. Which did happen several times.

So after I got home, I wrote a small Mac application (they were using a MacBook) which does several things: takes the number of submissions and creates a list of numbers representing those submissions and randomly sorts it. Then it presents a floating window with the first number. There's a "next" button as well as a "prev" which present the next or previous numbers. These numbers cannot be duplicates, because they're in a list. What's more, the number is put into the paste buffer; there's no need to copy it. The operator has simply to paste the number into the browser's find dialog. Pressing "next" on the floating window will display the number and put it in the paste buffer. No need to switch tabs.

So I think this will make it easier for the operator and make the panels smoother. I wrote something to that effect to Taxi via the contact page but haven't heard anything back. My question is: does anybody know who I should send this program too? Perhaps they wouldn't be interested, but maybe they would. It was trivial to write, so I don't care, I just think it's something that will help them.

Thanks
-Phil (Apple Developer)

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Taxi Tech Guy Contact

Post by cassmcentee » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:23 pm

Phil, I bet they will get back to you
I was thinking the same thing while watching the process
Cheers to solving that problem and helping to improve future Rally Panels!
Sincerely.
Cass
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

markhimley
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by markhimley » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:52 pm

Wow right on, way to take the initiative! I'm sure you'll hear back, that's awesome.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:41 pm

Sounds cool!
Give Taxi time as far as getting back to you. Right after rally they are pretty darn tired with a lot of catching up to do. If you don't hear in a few weeks, make contact again. Most likely, they'd prefer you get in touch when it's getting closer to next year's rally but I can't speak for them.

From one techie-nerd to another!
:D Casey

lholton
Active
Active

Post by lholton » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:45 pm

Last edited by lholton on Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:31 pm

Luke
I don't think you should put someone's email address on a public forum without their permission.

Best,

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Razor7Music » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:55 pm

I think it's awesome that you took the time to try to solve what you thought was a problem. I agree you should wait to hear back from someone at Taxi.

I actually liked the new format. Sure, they had to do some tab switching and copying and pasting, but my guess is, they will only use that process every so often. I could be wrong.

When I first saw the process, I immediately thought there isn't anything to prevent duplicates, and sure enough, 15 minutes later... I think the operator did an amazing job of remembering when a duplicate came up, but on the other hand, some might think it unfair that a person not in the room when their number was first called got another chance when their number came up again--so that's the only thing I think should be worked out. (I didn't submit any tracks, so that wasn't me--BTW).

The low-tech solution is if a duplicate comes up, the operator just says, duplicate and "spins again". They don't call out the writer's name again. That's my .02c.
Thanks,

Stephen Davis, Songwriter
Music: here
For Daily Progress Reports on Twitter: @razor7music
Facebook: @r7mStephenDavis

“If everyone likes you, you're doing something wrong” --Jenna McMahon

lholton
Active
Active

Post by lholton » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:15 pm

Casey H wrote:Luke
I don't think you should put someone's email address on a public forum without their permission.

Best,
You're right. Removed.....