Tell Us What Works Best for You!

Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

admin
Site Admin

Tell Us What Works Best for You!

Post by admin » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:27 am

Dear Forum Folks,

I get so many emails asking me what gear our members use to make their recordings that I thought it would be cool to create a place where you can share your experiences. Please start topics with the type of gear in the subject line, eg.:

Favorite Compressor -- Universal Audio LA-2A

Tell your friends what you use it for (vocals, guitars, etc.), recommend some settings if you'd like, and if you can remember what you paid for it, even better. Feel free to include software and sample libraries as well. Giving version numbers would be helpful, I'm sure.

Have fun. Post 'em up!
Michael

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Tell Us What Works Best for You!

Post by Len911 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:47 pm

This sounds like it should be a very useful new topic. Great addition! You've had a lot of experience with a lot of gear Michael, will you be sharing also?
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

DorothyWallace
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DorothyWallace » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:49 pm

Thanks for adding this forum. I'm new to home recording so it's very helpful.

Dorothy :P

t4mh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by t4mh » Sun May 02, 2010 7:39 am

Excellent idea ML! You da man!

I would comment on some items I've used in the past but I'm in the middle of a bigtime upgrade so I think, at least for the time being, I'll just check it all out.

Keith
I hear the voice of God in a bending guitar string!
Life is too important to be taken seriously
No electrons were harmed in the construction of this message.
http://www.t4mh.com

MatthewMoss
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MatthewMoss » Tue May 11, 2010 7:07 am

Ok so since first and foremost I am a bass player and I haven't made a huge impression in tv/film songwriting yet, but striving to, I will discuss the way I have recorded electric bass on many recording sessions.

Gear: Alembic F1x tube preamp, Sans Amp DI, Gallien krueger 1001rb with preamp stripped, Eden and ampeg cabs, Alembic 0rion 5 string

If I am at home using my digi002 I either take path 1:bass-f1x-digipreamp, bass-1/4 input, bass-sansamp-digi.
In a more controlled environment I will mic an ampeg classic 115.
These three combinations have given me just about any tone desirable with out changing basses. Sometimes I will show up to a session or a gig, and the producer, band leader will look at my bass and think, oh great we hired this guy with this bass to do a blues gig, but truth be told, the thing doesn't sound like a hi-fi bass if you dont want it to. Any time I play anything else the second time around they ask, "where's that alembic at"

I have found the shortest path is usually the best.

scenario: You are in a studio and your bass a has a preamp built in, you then goto some sort of amp that has a preamp then you mic the cab and that mic uses a preamp, go through compression and then hit the tape machine/daw.
WHY??? but if it works....

Hookjaw Brown
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Hookjaw Brown » Tue May 11, 2010 8:02 pm

For Guitar work I use a Gibson Goldtone Class A amp (discontinued), a Reverend Drivetrain II for overdrive (discontinued) and a Schecter guitar that I had modified immediately after purchase, removed the tone and volume pots, rewired and secured the pickups for no noise. For recording I use two mikes, a 57 in close - off axis, and a large diaphragm mike 2-3' away on axis.

My partner uses a similar setup, except a custom guitar, Zen and OCD stomp boxes for slide tone.

The big thing is that everything has been reworked or chosen for low noise attributes and rich tone.

Just remember, if you live long enough, everything you own will become vintage.
Hookjaw

"I started out with nothing, and still have most of it left". - Seasick Steve

http://www.taxi.com/hookjawbrown

stevecollom
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by stevecollom » Tue May 25, 2010 9:57 am

my favorite plugins are the waves SSL collection, they sound about 97% like the real thing..........

cardell
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cardell » Fri May 28, 2010 5:07 am

I use a Zoom H4n. It's a standalone multitrack recorder with a built in condenser microphone. You can create broadcast quality recording with this amazing little unit...it's fantastic...

Check it out here:
http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h4n/index.php

Stuart
Cardell Music
Image Image
“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

dynamicalan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by dynamicalan » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:14 pm

Hello,

I use Logic pro 8 as a DAW. I use it for instruments tracks (midi) and there are a lot of sounds to use. Some of them can be worked with to be useable. I think guitar is the weakest instrument for midi because of the nature of the rhythm guitar but if you tweak a lot you can get by with some things. It works well in conjunction with audio tracks. If anyone is having trouble with Logic or Garageband please message me back. I may be able to help. I am always glad to help.

Sincerely,

Alan
Dynamic Alan Publishing, BMI

maryshaw
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by maryshaw » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:23 pm

Hello,

I use GarageBand as a notepad to get my ideas down quickly and then import the file into Logic Express when it's time to produce the final tracks. I really love the simplicity of GB since it forces me to focus on song structure. When it's time to mix I like to listen to reference discs/mp3s of songs I admire and see if I can get close to what they did.
It's never too late to follow your bliss!
https://www.maryshawmusic.com