tempo for sync

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Gillihan
Impressive
Impressive

tempo for sync

Post by Gillihan » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:12 pm

so trying to nail this. been at it for a bit ( getting the exact tones etc...but they didn't use clicks back then.. that being said. in some places this is 120 bmp..others it varies . up and down ... is sticking with 120 bpm cool to sync the scene? I know it is a silly question ... but is it?? It does say"details are important" LOL The cryptic writings know as the listing seem pretty cut and dry on this one.
Thanks in advance for any help. :D
HERE IS THE LISTING:

https://www.taxi.com/industry#listing-S240328HT

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: tempo for sync

Post by AlanHall » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:53 pm

Replacing a temporary track can be a challenge. Keeping the 'feel' the same as the temp is important, not just tempo but everything that gives the piece a sense of motion. And then is the director using a verse? the chorus? What does the scene "really" sound like... we can only guess.

The comment about 'devil in the details' reads to me like it refers to arrangement and production issues.

Short answer: if the tempo of your track is pretty close to the temp track, and it 'feels' right, then go for it!

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:59 pm

I would not vary the tempo, I'd pick something around 120 (about the same as HT) and stay with it. Constant is generally the best choice for sync.

Good luck!
:D Casey
Last edited by Casey H on Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gillihan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Gillihan » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:39 pm

Thanks fellas! it feels best at 120.. They stay in that area for the most part. I was just curious. I actually created a track to fit such a time issue when I covered Roy Orbison- "only the lonely" for a listing. it is so crazy on the time ( it's like they played to his singing) I just tracked the original into the DAW and played everything to it.Then took his away. actually turned out kinda cool. feel was dead on fosho! I tried and tried to count it out for a click.. just didn't work. I could play to it but just wasn't clickin out on the metronome haha. AGaiN THANK Y'all!!

Gillihan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Gillihan » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:10 am

Casey H wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:59 pm
I would not vary the tempo, I'd pick something around 120 (about the same as HT) and stay with it. Constant is generally the best choice for sync.

Good luck!
My 1st try... any tips my friend?

https://www.taxi.com/members/I9RTiNcOS6 ... 60-s-retro

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:32 am

Well the first 3 notes are a deal killer because they sound way too close to the original. I'm not getting a strong 60s feel from it but can't put my finger on it. I don't have good ears regarding virtual instruments but getting brass to sound realistic can be challenging. If they sound MIDI, it's also a deal killer. If you are not sure there, I'd consider other conventional 60s band instruments. Happy Together does have brass but it was the 60s and therefore all live instruments. The hook is just OK here, needs to be stronger.

I'll come back. Others will chime in.

Gillihan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Gillihan » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:58 am

I agree on the horns.. tough to make keys sound real..lol. only real 60's thing I have is the fender twin. I do have a older snare but its 80's . Back too the shed. I should know by now if it dont fake me it ain't fakin noone. Ha!! Thanks man I value your thoughts always.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:19 am

Brandon,
What about chopping the first 23 seconds off the front? The tune would enter strong with the verse, and the issues mentioned above (brass patch, too-similar melody) would be removed as the focus of attention as the song starts. JM2C

Gillihan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Gillihan » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:48 pm

AlanHall wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:19 am
Brandon,
What about chopping the first 23 seconds off the front? The tune would enter strong with the verse, and the issues mentioned above (brass patch, too-similar melody) would be removed as the focus of attention as the song starts. JM2C
THANKS ALAN!!
Great Minds think alike!LOL That is exactly what I did. To be honest it is a song I had already written. It was a different genre but with the right subject matter. I added that part and tried to sing like Davey Jones to make it more like the 60's . Funny how that works. Now I am working on the Hook/chorus to make it more compelling. :D This is what it used to sound like..

https://soundcloud.com/user-282028010/n ... al_sharing