Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Re: TENSION CUE

Post by andygabrys » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:25 pm

Good feedback Mark!

John - you have some things going there to build on.

IMO - there are a couple things you need to do

1) Get a super definite idea in your mind of what a "tension" track involves (note to me the intro section with the R panned electric piano sound and triangle sounded more like DRAMEDY to me). Some of it is compositional, some of it is arranging (length of sections, edit points, build and change), some of it is mixing / production (choice of sounds as Mark mentioned and relative volumes, brightness, ambience and panning). In addition to the things Mark posted, Chapter 5 of this book is a good place to start: https://www.amazon.ca/Demystifying-Genr ... B01JXPB1QE

2) Do more listening, and analyze the cues that are used as reference tracks. Here is an example of what I do typically (different genre - whatever shorthand you use is great):

80 bpm

snare roll fill to bring in band.

0:00 - Tubular Bell bong on down beat of every 4 bar phrase
very ambient bell / block playing more random melody
main arpeggios / ostinato

Off beat hats very quiet in center.

4 bar phrases - with a fill at the end of the 4 bars.

Bass on bar 1, off bar 2, on bar 3 off bar 4

true clap on slow 4.
snare fills
trap hats

8 bars

0:24 Bass sustains and plays whole phrase.
ostinato changes sound and goes 8va.
4 bar phrases again.
edit points are ostinato filled rather than beat fills.
[/i]

etc..

I think you will find that figuring out what elements are typically used in a track helps define what your palette will be when you start creating. Its not about copying the sounds, or the musical elements but it is about knowing where the limits are before it gets into a different genre.

3) Watch TV!!! Not kidding. You can write off your cable bill against your music earnings if all you do is watch TV to further your production skill.

Shows like CSI, NCIS, MTV Catfish, E! Keeping up with the Kardahsians (and countless others) use all manner of tension style tracks - some tending more to the first ref, some more urban like the second ref. Hearing the stuff being used is money. You understand so much by listening.

Hope that helps!

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: TENSION CUE (REWORKED)

Post by johndalenow » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:54 pm

I have re-worked my tension cue, below. (Soundcloud link) I don't expect it to "cover-all-the-bases" YET, but have I at least improved the piece? (I will follow all the suggestions made so far. Thanks to all of you who have offered me some help.)

Thanks again,

John Dale

https://soundcloud.com/john-dale-music/d181214ts

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Re: TENSION CUE

Post by andygabrys » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:17 pm

I hear you have worked on it some. Great.

Let me re-iterate some things:

1) panning and use of the sound stage - The hard Left and right panning isn't working. Try a different way. Make things more centered. But the bass instruments, the lead melody, the kick and snare (if you have them) dead center. Use the wings for the other elements of your piece.

If you aren't hearing where your things are put in the space (I.e. L+R) is it a perception thing, or is it an equipment issue? Is there something about your setup that is not giving you the true picture?

2) "shape" and build - there is a difference between just adding some percussion fills on top of an existing arrangement vs. making it an integral part of the song.

I'll stop talking now. This is a famous example of a tension type cue that has several times been a reference track in TAXI listings - meaning its a shining example of the kind of track CSI can use. And CSI is a big user of tension.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9qjdUlRs7Y

Listen a lot. Compare and contrast. Try to make your mix and song FEEL the same with your own choice of sounds, rhythms, melodies, and FX. If you can't figure out how to do something technically - ask here on the forum, or go to google / youtube - there is somebody who has a free tutorial on what you are wanting to know about.

Good luck!