Terrible News - Honky Tonkin To Play On USA Radio

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

stuartleggat1
Active
Active

Terrible News - Honky Tonkin To Play On USA Radio

Post by stuartleggat1 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:25 am

Just received news that my old-fashioned, cliched, useless and hopeless wee number, that masquerades as a song - just - is set to be played on American radio including, unfortunately, the Nashville/Tennessee areas among many others.I decided to let you all know just in case hearing it unexpectedly may cause an adverse reaction and , in some cases, cause permanent damage to health and well-being (hope you`re keepin` well, Matto)...lol.Finally; you`re all invited to the party (bring yer own beer is a must), even if ma royalty check only totals five-dollars`n`fifty-five cents.Lol,Best, Stu

michael11
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Terrible News - Honky Tonkin To Play On USA Ra

Post by michael11 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:02 am

Quote: Just received news that my old-fashioned, cliched, useless and hopeless wee number, that masquerades as a song - just - is set to be played on American radio including, unfortunately, the Nashville/Tennessee areas among many others.How much is that gonna cost you!
All's Well That Ends Well

www.michaelgaughan.rocks

stuartleggat1
Active
Active

Post by stuartleggat1 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:19 am

Hi Michael...it`s gonna cost me the princely sum of...wait for it...a big, big - really big...smile... ...guy who makes the movies, on seeing it`s success in Europe and reading the comments from those who don`t have a clue (the public and dj`s), is putting his shekels where his big mouth is and getting it played in the land of milk`n`donuts - sorry, honey...lolI`m just real happy that it`ll be out there competing, again, for acceptance from the public...their opinions are all that matter to me at the end of the day; if they get pleasure from my efforts, can`t ask for anything more (except, perhaps, a few million in the bank...lol).Like I advised you before, Michael; get your songs out in Europe to start with...they are sure-fire winners to my ears.Best wishes, Stu

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:23 am

Quote: ...my old-fashioned, cliched, useless and hopeless wee number, that masquerades as a song - justI speak only for myself but I'm sure I speak for nearly 100% of the active forum members when I say that I celebrate the success of anyone or anybody no matter how big or small. The celebration of your success is no different and, as before on your other forward, I offer you my sincerest and heartiest congratulations. I have to say though, that your comment is a gross misrepresentation of what has been said on the forum and quite frankly it comes off as a condescending attitude in spite of being "cleverly" masked as self-deprecation. I think it' getting a little old. Two things seem to have been almost universally agreed on by anyone (screeners and forum members alike) who commented on your song. First is that it's a fun and catchy song, very enjoyable in many ways. Second was that in spite of that, it wasn't a candidate for a forward for high-bar contemporary country, but rather is geared more toward classical country. There's nothing more to it than that. We're all professionals here, if not by description then by attitude. Let's agree that we can and will sincerely celebrate any success that you may have but that it'll be a little easier if you don't approach the situation as if you're trying to rub our nose in it. Not every successful song is "contemporary country". Yours may have great success without falling into that description. It's not a great example of Pop, Rock, or R&B either but that doesn't diminish it's potenential success and/or usefulness elsewhere. Again... congrats and I truly mean that. Dave

stuartleggat1
Active
Active

Post by stuartleggat1 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:59 am

Dave Says:"I have to say though, that your comment is a gross misrepresentation of what has been said on the forum and quite frankly it comes off as a condescending attitude in spite of being "cleverly" masked as self-deprecation. I think it's getting a little old. Two things seem to have been almost universally agreed on by anyone (screeners and forum members alike) who commented on your song. First is that it's a fun and catchy song, very enjoyable in many ways. Second was that in spite of that, it wasn't a candidate for a forward for high-bar contemporary country, but rather is geared more toward classical country. There's nothing more to it than that."Hi Dave,Not quite sure where to begin, but I`ll give it a go - only be warned, it may turn into a rant that reads like War and Piece vol - 2.Of course I`m havin` a wee dig at certain folk - yourself excluded - and especially the critiquers - that`s what they are there for; to take the praise when a song`s discovered and the ribbing or heavy verbal when they pass over something that goes on to have success. My song`s got a way to go before they read about it`s success out in the public domain so they are safe in their jobs in the meantime (only kidding, all you critiquers, I`d never say anything that would have you all sharing a big tent `cause you lost yer jobs...in saying that; I might settle for them all sharing a 2-berth caravan...have to give it some serious thought... ... ...ok, a 3-berth caravan it is... my generosity is overwhelming at times...my mum always said I was too generous for ma own good...).Quote:Second; was that in spite of that, it wasn't a candidate for a forward for high-bar contemporary country, but rather is geared more toward classical country. There's nothing more to it than thatDave...it was slagged rotten no matter what listing it was put in - that`s the simple truth.I truly don`t get a serious kick out of rubbing noses in it...just, in a fun way, happy if I can possibly make someone see that there was foundation to what I instinctively felt was right (we all like to be proved right in the end) ...and, by the same token; I`ve learned a wee bit from the Taxi critiquers suggestions ie., changed the title of the other song from "Did You Ever Get The Blues?" to the much better and catchy title of; "Baby, I Cried For You" among one or two other very helpful ideas.Finally; the song being discussed was my first attempt at a country song in 1990...that`s how long I`ve been trying to convince the movers`n`shakers it`s got something worth developing...so, as you can imagine; I`m really, really enjoying seeing it do something at some level, big or small, pure enjoyment and I will continue to voice my opinions to opinions...this is one subject that will NEVER grow old with me.Best, Stu

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:16 am

Quote:Dave...it was slagged rotten no matter what listing it was put in - that`s the simple truth.Slagged rotten? We're reading the same Taxi critiques, just through a different set of eyes. Especially considering what you've told us about the song:Quote:Finally; the song being discussed was my first attempt at a country song in 1990Take a look at Couch Grouch's section in this forum. In this forum alone, he's posted his lyrics to almost eight hundred (800) songs. Compare the kind of diligence and practice that went into the crafting of the lyrics to eight hundred songs. That's a LOT of practice and experience. I'm guessing that his 800th song is improved drastically and is way more contemporary than his first song. He's the kind of person that you're probably competing against in the high-bar, contemporary country arena. I'd be interested to know if he's still submitting his very first country song ever (how many years ago Robert?) for current, contemporary listings in or out of Taxi. Maybe without stepping on any toes, he'd chime in on that, maybe describe his first song and how close it is to what he considers "contemporary" by today's standards. Maybe talk about the difference in his perspective regarding his first song compared to something more recent.

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by horacejesse » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:08 pm

I don't think Stu is out of line rubbing a few local noses in his success. Mine is probably one of those noses, since I told him those lyrics would not make it past my wastebasket. But Stu knows and I know they don't have to make it past my wastebasket--they have to make it past someone else's, and apparently they have done that.It is clear as time goes on that almost any song can make it. That should bring us all cheer rather than otherwise. Gives us a good reason to celebrate his success, such as it is or will be, with him.

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by horacejesse » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:14 pm

P.S., Dave,Who in the devil is this CouchGrouch anyway? And where did he get the poop to have his own forum category? Is he just a regular member, or better connected? I guess he has no trouble coming up with words.

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edteja » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:22 am

Stu, Let me add my congratulations to Dave and horacejesse's. It is lovely to see someone follow their own path and have success. In my humble [sic] opinion, your conflicts with the Taxi "system" just indicates that either you need to use it as a vehicle for a secondary approach, one that incorporates the screeners' information on occassion, or not use it. I firmly believe that success within Taxi has a great deal to do with being the kind of writer that Taxi's clients look for. Personally, I am not hitting the mark Taxi sets yet. But I have learned an enormous amount, so don't feel it is a waste, even though I disagree with many of the screeners. (Meaning that I won't change those songs, but move on to write songs that do conform to some of their ideas.) And none of this has any bearing on the fact that you are following a path that is getting you some of the success you want. I applaud you for that.
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:52 am

Congratulations Stu, and best of luck to you. I hope for your sake that the song does well and becomes a big hit.I know first hand how hard it is to find any kind of success in the music business, and anybody who does gets my support. Thanks for your concern about my well-being; you'll be happy to know the last country station in LA just shuttered it's doors, so I'm safe either way...