Texas Backroads and Lonesome Townes

By popular demand...

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

couchgrouch
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Texas Backroads and Lonesome Townes

Post by couchgrouch » Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:49 am

Texas backroads and Lonesome TownesI pour some bourbon in my Thirstbusterthen hit the two-lanes in my Plymouth DusterI'd put the radio on but I've lost patiencewith the candy corn on most country stationsI've got Live at the Old Quarteron some old Memorex tapeI pull it out of the gloveboxpull on my drink and escapeon Texas backroads and lonesome Townessuch a desolate place...such a des'prate soundhis tunes bring a tear, to my drunken earand from Dublin to Ft. Worth, the saddest places on earthare Texas backroads and lonesome Townessometimes I pull off by the thorns and the thistlesroll down my window and hear midnight's haunted whistleslotsa folks say Texas is just a wastelandbut his songs made their home here like it was Gracelandit was hard to find his musicuntil after he passed oncos the sun always starts sinkingbefore people miss the dawnand Texas backroads and lonesome Townesdust blowing in his voice and skulls on the groundhis tunes bring a tear, to my drunken earand from Dublin to Ft. Worth, the saddest places on earthare Texas backroads and lonesome Townesfate made sure he barely made fiftylife betrayed him like Pancho did Leftythe best rhymes are lived before they're writtenit's in men's trials where life's truths are hiddenhis heart gave out on New Year's Daysame as his hero Hankwhen something touches my sorrowI always stop and thankTexas backroads and lonesome Townessuch a desolate place...such a des'prate soundhis tunes bring a tear, to my drunken earand from Dublin to Ft. Worth, the saddest places on earthare Texas backroads and lonesome Townes(c)2004 Robert George