The Amp Sim thread !!

Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: The Amp Sim thread !!

Post by jh » Thu May 06, 2010 9:29 am

And, does anyone have any recommendations on clean sound?
Well, I think Amplitube Jimi Hedrix is quite nice. (I like the retro vibe)
Guitar Rig 3 is my least favorite (for some reason). Amplitube 2 is "ok" too.
And SimulAnalog is great for the price (it´s free :))

- JH

japaneseprincess
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by japaneseprincess » Thu May 06, 2010 1:21 pm

Great sound, Erich !

looks like Guitar Rig is behind other amp sims, huh?
has anyone tried Guitar Rig 4? i think i will try out the demo version (works for 30 minutes, no save and recall function. but i think i will use memo section in PT to write down my settings ! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ).

lets see if i can come up with a new track with it. lol. freebie track.

rnrmachine
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by rnrmachine » Thu May 06, 2010 1:40 pm

Howdy,

I liked GTRrig4 it has what GTRrig3 was missing. Although GTRrig3 had certain aspects that GTRrig4 is now lacking imho. I do have a rough time with the harsh sound of GTRrig3.. 4 is a lot smoother and has more beef. (I feel like a Wendy's commercial now LOL)

A song that MTV used of mine was recorded using GTRrig2 haha. Boy has GTRrig come a long way since then but.. just goes to show, maybe it is less the amp sim and more the playing. Although I will NEVER argue with anyone on the virtues of having a good tone. To me it is VERY important but ya use what ya have right??!!... and at that time, GTRrig2 was what I had.

Rob
http://www.taxi.com/johnsteskal
Sonar X1 PE Expanded on a Windows 7 64bit system.
Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
Thermaltake PSU 500watts can run 5 SATA
Asus P5QL PRO Mboard with 4GB of Ram
Radeon X1650 512MB Ram
WD Blue HDrives. OS, Sample, Audio.

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Thu May 06, 2010 1:53 pm

I like the POD X3Live cleans. (also the semi-dirties and dirties) I don't really care for the Roland Jazz Chorus linear-type cleans, though. The trick with amp sims is careful gain staging; yeah, it can take a long time to program a patch, given so many options, but everything's perfectly repeatable, which you can't always say about miking an amp in a room.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Thu May 06, 2010 2:12 pm

You might be interested in this...

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/irig/features/

I guess now you really can "phone in" your guitar parts... :P :lol: :lol:

rnrmachine
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by rnrmachine » Thu May 06, 2010 2:25 pm

matto wrote:You might be interested in this...

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/irig/features/

I guess now you really can "phone in" your guitar parts... :P :lol: :lol:
HAHA, too funny :lol:

I did want to add in, when I use different guitars, these amp sims sound VERY different. Uncommonly different as opposed to plugging 2 different guitars into real amps.. but that is just my opinion.

Rob
http://www.taxi.com/johnsteskal
Sonar X1 PE Expanded on a Windows 7 64bit system.
Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
Thermaltake PSU 500watts can run 5 SATA
Asus P5QL PRO Mboard with 4GB of Ram
Radeon X1650 512MB Ram
WD Blue HDrives. OS, Sample, Audio.

japaneseprincess
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by japaneseprincess » Thu May 06, 2010 3:19 pm

Matto.. funny man..

Good point Rob, it depends on what kind of guitar we use with which pick up etc.. i only have one electric with one pick up :lol: so i gotta work extra hard to cover what i dont have. i will get a neck pick up later though, make my life easier.

just installed Guitar Rig 4 demo version, it looks little more complex than Eleven. lets see what i can do with this little friend. just done quick drum work, now im onto writng guitar parts with only Guitar Rig 4 demo version used !! fun fun !!

i gotta hurry up before it becomes 30 minutes in one session. ha ha. well i can deal with it easily. just bouncing takes after each session and keep original takes in playlist plus setting memo so i can tweak later.

elser
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by elser » Thu May 06, 2010 11:58 pm

teleblaster wrote:I love Amplitube 3 for single coil / low to medium gain stuff. Actually, I use Amplitube Fender more often than not. But, the dual mic, the ability to mix in a room sound, and the cabinet size feature from A3 in conjunction with the Fender simulations trips my trigger. More often than not I find myself tracking with the tweed deluxe simulation through an o/b single or 2x12 cab.

You can hear it my telecaster and my lap steel in this track: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9034777 They were both recorded through Amplitube3 using the Fender simulations. I'm not sure if the Fender stuff ships with A3 or not. I bought it before upgrading to A3 and it just magically appeared in A3's UI.
+1 on that setup. Amptube Fender going through the Amptube 3 circuitry sounds really good. I really love the Vibroverb Sim. I also put the tube compressor on almost every sound I create, even if it isn't compressing much it just makes everything sound better. The UA Pultec Pro EQ and Fairchild compressor are also great for warming up guitar tones.

The JC 120 simulation in Amptube 3 and the Copper Top Vox AC30 are also excellent for clean and semi clean sounds.

I have all the Amplitubes and Peavey Revalver which is also good. I'll be getting Guitar Rig 4 this week, the demo mp3s sound good. I've also got a POD Pro and a Sansamp PSA 1 and tons of regular amps. I personally like the Amp Sims best for flexibility, you can start a tune and then leave it alone for weeks and then come back to it and still have exactly the same guitar sound. But they do take some getting used to.

It's a pretty amazing time to be a home recording junky.

teleblaster
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by teleblaster » Fri May 07, 2010 1:02 pm

Another interesting guitar/cab sim is 'Trash' by iZotope (same folks that make Ozone). I don't use it for complete sims though as it doesn't have a pre-amp section. I use it to add color and vibe to existing tracks; particularly sampled stuff. The cabinet sim and distortion sections are really interesting. They work differently than most any other plug I've used before. The delay section has a 'tube delay' setting that's interesting too; seems to have that highly sought after 'analog mojo'

cardell
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cardell » Fri May 07, 2010 4:43 pm

I find if I use a real compressor/overdrive before my computer (with an amp simulator) it sounds MUCH better. :)

Stuart
Cardell Music
Image Image
“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix