Re: The Dream is Over...new mix

Post by opensky » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:37 pm

bump...

mixopenta
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mixopenta » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:05 am

This song has really grown on me. Earlier versions had parts in it I liked, but in this version the song really came together.However I believe some parts can improve even more:The radio voice intro is IMO a bit too soft, i.e. when the drums kicks in, the difference in loudness is a bit distracting. You should first balance the piano and voice (as the voice is much quieter than the piano). Then bring the whole package up a notch or two.Secondly, in the full-blown intro "crazy part" - (a la King Crimson style), the lead-guitar is a bit too freaky, and doesn't really sit well with the rest of the song from a musical perspective. This part comes back in between the second and third verse, and is more cohesive than the intro part. I would swap places with these, or make the intro part similar to the one in between the verses. The cymbal-crashes on the downbeats in some places needs to be louder or enhanced to keep it flowing.I also feel the first chorus kicks in a little bit too abruptly. It doesn't build enough tension for such a contrast in mood. Don't really know how to fix it, but I'd suggest perhaps something similar as the break before the second chorus. Speaking of the second chorus, it sounds like the downbeat is a bit chopped off in a way. The initial portion of the kick and crash sounds like they were truncated.Apart from these little details, you have IMO a very professional song, as well as a production. I really like the song (maybe because I am a prog-head). I think it has a kind of neat cross-over quality between prog, and pop/rock.I wish you the best of luck!

opensky
Active
Active

Post by opensky » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:27 pm

Quote:This song has really grown on me. Earlier versions had parts in it I liked, but in this version the song really came together.However I believe some parts can improve even more:The radio voice intro is IMO a bit too soft, i.e. when the drums kicks in, the difference in loudness is a bit distracting. You should first balance the piano and voice (as the voice is much quieter than the piano). Then bring the whole package up a notch or two.Secondly, in the full-blown intro "crazy part" - (a la King Crimson style), the lead-guitar is a bit too freaky, and doesn't really sit well with the rest of the song from a musical perspective. This part comes back in between the second and third verse, and is more cohesive than the intro part. I would swap places with these, or make the intro part similar to the one in between the verses. The cymbal-crashes on the downbeats in some places needs to be louder or enhanced to keep it flowing.I also feel the first chorus kicks in a little bit too abruptly. It doesn't build enough tension for such a contrast in mood. Don't really know how to fix it, but I'd suggest perhaps something similar as the break before the second chorus. Speaking of the second chorus, it sounds like the downbeat is a bit chopped off in a way. The initial portion of the kick and crash sounds like they were truncated.Apart from these little details, you have IMO a very professional song, as well as a production. I really like the song (maybe because I am a prog-head). I think it has a kind of neat cross-over quality between prog, and pop/rock.I wish you the best of luck! This is the kind of review i sincerely covet. You have really given me some excellent suggestions and I thank you for them. Now i've got my work cut out for me . Thanks!