The End of CD's

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jonathanm
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: The End of CD's

Post by jonathanm » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:48 am

That's pretty insightful, Bill. Such a backlash would certainly be helpful. I suppose there will always be a "cheap" music market (cf. Hannah Montana or any Disney "star"), but it will likely remain in the tweener market.
"Everyone always misquotes me." - Frederick Q. Larson

Hookjaw Brown
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Hookjaw Brown » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:11 pm

Bill,

With the speed of advancing tech I think the MP3 will be dead shortly also, some sort of higher quality sounding format will take its' place. As people age their ears demand better sounds. Just like fragrances, youngsters like fruity fragrances, but at around 25 their noses go for florals.

I find it harder and harder to do the cheap speaker sound check with new recordings. "Let them buy good Speakers" say I.
Hookjaw

"I started out with nothing, and still have most of it left". - Seasick Steve

http://www.taxi.com/hookjawbrown

jonathanm
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jonathanm » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:47 am

It's true that formats will change (mp3 will give way to the next prominent file format), but music as a data file is here to stay. And, of course, just as it is now, people will have devices that can play and convert multiple formats.

Fixed media such as vinyl, tape or CD will likely just be offered to small groups of customers, or offered as part of a gimmick. Vinyl's resurgence of late, though, has been driven not just by nostalgia, but also by sound quality. Fifty years from now CD's may hold some nostalgia, but I don't think anyone will return to 16-bit audio for sound quality. 8-)
"Everyone always misquotes me." - Frederick Q. Larson