The General Dilemma?

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

darkbluerooms

Re: The General Dilemma?

Post by darkbluerooms » Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:36 am

Telefunkin, you quoted me and still can't read what I typed? I all capped the word ISN'T.

As musicians we have to make our minds up at some point about what we think we are.

This is probably a terrible analogy but I'll try anyway.

If I can bench press 300 lbs, do I need a CV to prove/show that I can bench 300 lbs? Nope, I just need to walk into a gym and bench 300 lbs. It's music, we don't need resumes, we need ability.

I actually do feel like I know better than some of these screeners and could screen just as well as them because my ear is that damn good. No, I wouldn't screen orchestral music or bluegrass, but I'm qualified in the genres I do know. If you don't feel that way about yourself that's fine, but don't discount the possibility that there are people on this platform that are damn good at what they do and have great ears. My brief time on Taxi has actually boosted my confidence quite a bit, because of what I've heard around these parts. I don't know how good of a musician any of the screeners are, or myself for that matter, but I know I have good ears.

I used to work in Hollywood, these people are just people like the rest of us. Half of them stumbled into something. I've worked on big budget movies, rubbed shoulders with important execs and I'll be the first to tell you...My CV means jack.

If you're so attached to defending Taxi at every turn that you can't even read what I typed correctly, you might need to look within. Like I said in my original post, they're one of many avenues. For anyone reading this, don't let Taxi ruin your day/week/month. You're the creator of your songs, reflect on your ability and determine how you feel about your own work. If YOU think it needs to be improved, improve it. If you love it, keep loving it.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:39 am

darkbluerooms wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:36 am
Telefunkin, you quoted me and still can't read what I typed? I all capped the word ISN'T.
Yes, I did quote you, but yes I can read, and I was agreeing with you that it ISN'T random. That was my whole point, that you make your own music and your own luck. I thought you'd have noticed that?
darkbluerooms wrote:
I actually do feel like I know better than some of these screeners and could screen just as well as them because my ear is that damn good. No, I wouldn't screen orchestral music or bluegrass, but I'm qualified in the genres I do know.
That's great! Seriously then, why not submit your music directly to libraries?
darkbluerooms wrote:
If you're so attached to defending Taxi at every turn that you can't even read what I typed correctly, you might need to look within.
Back to the reading thing again. Back at ya! :lol:
darkbluerooms wrote:
You're the creator of your songs,
Isn't that what i said?... and why I agreed that it ISN'T random? :roll: :lol:
darkbluerooms wrote:
If YOU think it needs to be improved, improve it. If you love it, keep loving it.
I also agree with that, provided the music is for your own purposes. We're all trying to create music that others will love so they'll use it on TV though, so we have to get past the appointed gatekeepers, even if we think we know better.

I also agree yet again that Taxi is just one avenue. If you already have Hollywood connections and are confident in your music then why not use those contacts and submit directly to whoever can give you a leg up, or at least to libraries with an open submission policy? Note that some of the Taxi screeners run libraries too, so they might have already heard your music and might like it (even when returned because it wasn't right for a particular listing). More generally, in their shoes I'd be more motivated to find great music that I could forward than to return tracks for no good reason. Wouldn't you? Not defence, just logic.

There's always another perspective on most issues, and sometimes it helps us all to recognise that when frustrated. I've offered my perspective in the spirit of helping, although no warranty implied so YMMV. Over and out :). I'm off to look somewhere else...... oh yeah..within! :lol:
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

markanthony

Post by markanthony » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:14 am

Is that list of industry professionals actually up-to-date? Or is that a list of people of note that have come and gone?

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:45 pm

darkbluerooms wrote:
You're the creator of your songs, reflect on your ability and determine how you feel about your own work. If YOU think it needs to be improved, improve it. If you love it, keep loving it.
The problem is most people can't hear their own tracks objectively or judge their own ability - so regardless of whether the creator feels it needs improving or not , they're usually the worst judge. Which I guess is why we have screeners.

darkbluerooms

Post by darkbluerooms » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:15 pm

I agree cosmic, outside ears will always be of use. I'm thinking more big picture. We all need to get better at analyzing and critiqing our own stuff. It's just that in the context of Taxi, some people conflate a return with "your song is bad." I personally can say I've never had a return in a genre I actually do, that had a single negative comment about the songwriting. This is important for me specifically, because I do think my songwriting is one of my strengths. I've also never submitted a song that I didn't have personal critiques going in. I compare my issues with the song, with the screener's take. 95 % of the time, I agree with the screener. There's a method to the madness. I think there are plenty of qualified screeners who work for Taxi. I also think their are some genres that their screeners are not as strong in. Since I dabble in Urba...Black music, I've payed attention to forward blogs and frankly the active users in this forum, and I think it's a weakness of the platform. Call a spade a spade. It's also possible that traditional German language music may be a weakness of theirs as well, but I don't speak German so I'm not sure.

And for Telefunkin, appropriate sentence structure for responding to my post while indicating that you actually did correctly read it would be: "Correct, it's not..." or "Right, it's not..." or "I agree, it's not.." or "True, it's not..." to name a few. But I'm thinking mostly you just want to troll me. LOLOLOLOL

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Zaychi » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:33 am

darkbluerooms wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:15 pm

And for Telefunkin, appropriate sentence structure for responding to my post while indicating that you actually did correctly read it would be: "Correct, it's not..." or "Right, it's not..." or "I agree, it's not.." or "True, it's not..." to name a few. But I'm thinking mostly you just want to troll me. LOLOLOLOL
Seems to me like YOU are the troll. You're obviously misreading his post intentionally. He made a point that you don't agree with; now you're using semantics to support your argument, and accuse HIM of trolling?!? You gotta be kidding.

darkbluerooms

Post by darkbluerooms » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:29 am

I thought you said you weren't going to engage with me in the forums anymore. You're the single biggest troll here. And I'm not interested in publicly arguing or fighting with you. If you want to argue in a private conversation send me your contact info.

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Zaychi » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:15 am

I said I won't comment on your peer-to-peer requests anymore. I'll surely defend a friendly and appreciated member of this board against silly accusations and unwarranted attacks in public.

You can click my name and then click "Send PM" if you want to talk in private, though I don't really see the point.

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Zaychi » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:41 am

Oh and sorry for hijacking your thread, Stefan. Are you going to give us the score?

Picardster
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Picardster » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:02 am

Zaychi wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:41 am
Oh and sorry for hijacking your thread, Stefan. Are you going to give us the score?
Don't worry. This is a free forum :-)

Okay, the forward was for Hey Du
And the tune with the dated pads was Jahreszeitenlied

The reason for the other returns was missing regional link. And that, in fact, is what I don't understand. The rest is clear to me.....although I'd have given me at least 4 forwards ;-)

Cheerio/Stefan