The Guitar Thread

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

The Guitar Thread

Post by horacejesse » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:25 pm

I have heard so many fine guitarists who are Taxi members, I am hoping some will contribute to this thread. Anything about guitars from making them to playing them to listening to them is welcome. I have about sixty different guitars that I play, most of them from the collection of my studio partner. He mainly collects Ibanez, but has a few of just about everything else also. Poor me only owns five guitars.

arkjack
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: The Guitar Thread

Post by arkjack » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:40 pm

Well.... probably the best way to start off on that is to describe your collection..... the instruments themselves make for great discussion..... and hell... until you get a really really really big deal from Taxi.... you can't afford to own 'em all.....So my collection starts with a D28 hd 1993, 1999 D15 mahagony... Ibanez Artcore AR200 yellow sunburst thin hollow body... Epiphone/Gibson Joe Pass Emperor model fat hollow body.... Talman acoustic cutaway (strung Nashville)... Ibanez SG... Then my beater acoustics ..... for taking to sea or the beach... a Washburn, A Carlo Robelli, a Castillo. Then a Les Paul cheapo by Epiphone.... then the basses... SR400, Ibanez SG and Strat body .... My kids ask me why I have so many if I can only play one at a time..... my wife is obviously going to kill me if she finds out when I buy another guitar or bass..... before I get a deal .... Good pickin' Horace....ArkJack

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by horacejesse » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:00 pm

Dang, you have some nice rigs parked in your studio. I have never been much on knowing the model #'s, etc. of guitars. Instead I give them names like Custer, The Pink Panther and the Jolly Green Giant.Custer is a blond Ibanez 175-style, a real live, lawsuit guitar that I use a lot in the studio. I also like my own '72 sunburst Strat. We also have a new Chet Atkins model Gretsch, made by the same Japanese that made Custer in the old days. The guitar I still play most often is my Takamine cutaway electric classical. It feels like home.

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:46 pm

I'm down to two guitars, both sweethearts.A 1963 Fender Stratocaster, and a Takamine acoustic/electric that is about 15-20 years old.I had a 1965 Stratocaster which was stolen along with a bandmate's Gibson 355 stereo. That was a real bad moment. Turns out our landlord ripped them off. Of course, the police wouldn't do anything. But I replaced the '65 with the '63 Strat, so things evened out! Ern

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by gitarrero » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:48 pm

jessy: 60 guitars... wow you must have some laaarge space...;)I own 10 guitars (diffrent types: 12-str., acoustics, p90 prs, les paul, strat, tele...) as well as a bass, a mandoline and a lapsteel git. I'm planing to buy a greece bouzouki as well - cool sound.let 'em ring....;)
production, composition & stringed instruments

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by horacejesse » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:23 pm

Gitar,They are not all kept in the same place. Although the studio has much more vacant space than the house where most of them are stored, the house is well guarded. We only keep six or seven at the studio at one time. I keep bringing rare ones out to see how they record. There is a mint Howard Roberts I only recorded with once. My choice of song for the guitar was so inappropriate that the experiment was a failure. I have to get back to that guitar soon on the kind of piece it is made for. It had a terrible set of brass strings on it when he purchased it. Those are now gone and he keeps telling me I should try it again. The most I have used on one piece to date is five different guitars, but one part got cut, so it is actually down to four. That record probably won't last long.

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:06 am

All I own is a little Alvarez acoustic, and I just purchased a little Fender Strat (not the Squire) for 399 bucks. I'm a beginner....can't play that well, but I'm getting better....still only know about 15 chords, and I'm not really great at anything that requires scales. I've been playing less than a year, and I tend to want to play what's easy. I know I will never be a full fledged musician though at my age, just want to put chords to my songs. Girls with guitars. If I ever progress, maybe I'll be worth a Martin one day.

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:17 am

Quote:....still only know about 15 chords, I thought their were only 3? and btw, keep posting!! I'm cheering you on!steve

allends
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by allends » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:24 am

I use an electric guitar with a Piezo pickup to play my atmospheric New Age guitar music because this setup helps my fingers stay very relaxed when I play in this genre. It's a custom built Quicksilver by Ed Roman made of Korina with a nice looking, highly figured bubinga top finished in a soft natural French polish http://www.edromanguitars.com/newsite/g ... silver.htm. It also came set up with the Buzz Feiten intonation system http://www.buzzfeiten.com/. The Piezo is part of the RMC MIDI system installed http://rmcpickup.com/. I exhausted my budget on this axe so I've yet to invest in the necessary external MIDI converter I'll need to lay down sequenced MIDI tracks. That will be an Terratec Axon 50 USB when it finally cames out later this year http://audioen.terratec.net/modules.php ... d=103.When I'm not recording clean directly into my Sonar Power Studio interface I play through use a 60watt Vox AD60VTX modeling amp for various electric guitar tones http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AD60VTXd/. It's a very flexible and satisfying setup that get deliver the purest, uncolored tone or the dirtiest raunch when I want it. I'm ashamed to mention the brand of my cheap acoustic but I have been satisfied with the tone I get after massively tweaking the EQ.

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by gitarrero » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:52 am

hey allends,I'm about to buy a usb 50 from axon too - we guitarist's can't let the whole midi-stuff be with the keyboarders..;)really, I'm looking forward to play with a midi-guitar - I just know all the harmonies etc way better on the guitar fretboard than on a keyboard - not to mention the time needed to play...if you're living in the states you might got the usb50 earlier than I can (I'm Swiss) - if so, could you tell us about it (how it works in a real-life situation, your experience with it, etc)?that would be great!cheers,martin
production, composition & stringed instruments