The Heart In The Machine

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

matthewhaw

The Heart In The Machine

Post by matthewhaw » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:22 pm

Hey guys I was jsut wondering what you all think of my song called "The Heart in The Machine". Be truthfull! also if you have any tips on the kind of genre or listing i might pitch it to, go ahead and let me know! Thanks a lot.M.R.H.www.taxi.com/matthewhaw

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: The Heart In The Machine

Post by hummingbird » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:41 pm

Quote:Hey guys I was jsut wondering what you all think of my song called "The Heart in The Machine". Be truthfull! also if you have any tips on the kind of genre or listing i might pitch it to, go ahead and let me know! Thanks a lot.M.R.H.www.taxi.com/matthewhawHey Matthew, welcome aboard, eh! Listening to your piece right now. Are you aiming for film/tv? It's got a oriental world vibe, and a funky groove. Nice change ups/good variety. I'm no expert, but feels like it would be good for a comedy film or tonque in cheek karate film. Production wise (again, these are just my ears), it seems like the mix is "too bright" in other words, the higher frequencies stand out a little & have a slight brittle texture. Could just be my monitors too, so see what other folks have to say. Good job!!!cheersHummin'bird
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

geo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by geo » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:22 pm

Hi ho Geo here, I'm not going too deep here Matthew, I've had a few tequilas (buddy of mine's last night in the kitchen) I just want to say I enjoyed your cut. The groove is a little weird for me and my initial reaction was not good but as it progressed I found myself enjoying it, by the end I outright loved it!! Remember though I've been drinking so I wouldn't place too much on this whole post and I apologies for that. But I liked it and welcome to the forum and Taxi and I promise to be more focused next time I commeny on a sond. I find i'm one key ofgf with my two finger typing ar times when I've been drinking so ignore everything except whrere I said I liked your cut and welcome to the forun.... Geo

matthewhaw

Post by matthewhaw » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:45 am

Thanks Hummingbird, I will maybe go play with my mix a little bit and see if I can hear what you are! As for the listing ideas I think they are pretty on par, I was definitely going for film and T.V. next time I see a listing for a comedic Karate film I am certainly sending it in. hahaAnd also thanks Geo... Now that I have seen your reply I am figuring maybe a movie that involves lots of alcohol consumption! haha But thanks for the kind words... I just hope it isn't one of those songs you wake up with in the morning and chew your arm off to escape rather than wake it up!Rock Onward Friends.M.R.H.

gundersen
Active
Active

Post by gundersen » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:48 am

Quote:Hey guys I was jsut wondering what you all think of my song called "The Heart in The Machine". Be truthfull! also if you have any tips on the kind of genre or listing i might pitch it to, go ahead and let me know! Thanks a lot.M.R.H.www.taxi.com/matthewhawMatthew, first of all I think you did a nice job on the production. The first time I listened I got a strong sense that there was a conflict between a comedy or a serious theme. After a couple more times through the song it dawned on me where I'd heard arrangements like this before...Video games. While I'm not sure if I've seen a lot of instrumental listings for music for video games...I do know of people who have made good money arranging for Vids...a personal friend of mine has gotten deals through companies like Microsoft. Hope this helps.Gundersen

squidlips
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by squidlips » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:22 am

Hi Matthew:You've got some really neat grooves going on in here. The melody line was a bit hard to figure out, sounded a bit mishmashy. I could hear a theme but it was in the background with what seemed like improv over the top. So, as is said above, it's hard to figure out if it's comic or dramatic. But be that as it may, the production was great (love some of those grooves, did I tell you that?). It's a little on the bright side, especially in areas where the high hat comes in. Brittle sounding. I tried it on a couple of headphones after reading hummin'bird's post and yep, it's there. Easy enough to fix.I'd suggest video games to try for as well. They're out there, lots of times mixed in with some other genres from the same listing.Squid

matthewhaw

Post by matthewhaw » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:25 pm

Gunderson and Squidlips, thanks for the listen.I will have to bust out a couple of monitoring systems and check out my mix :S I think majority rules here so I better play with that high end a little! I haven't had the best environment to mix in the last few months but I am doing my darndest. I will also have to keep an eye out for some video game listings... they seem rather non-existent at the moment though hahaLive long and prosper friends.M.R.H.