The Holly Hip-Hop - ORIGINAL CHRISTMAS INSTRUMENTAL

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jdkotaska
Impressive
Impressive

Re: The Holly Hip-Hop - ORIGINAL CHRISTMAS INSTRUMENTAL

Post by jdkotaska » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:44 pm

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news here, but I think you're a bit off the mark. All of these reference tracks are fairly modern sounding, but your track is a bit dated. It sounds like it would fit into the late 80s/early 90s style of Christmas rap. I don't know if you can bend this one to make it fit the listing. Its probably best to just try deconstructing the sounds of the reference tracks and attempt to emulate the instrumentation and feel of those. Good luck!

jdkotaska
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jdkotaska » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:06 am

CTWF wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:39 pm
Any specifics what sounds particularly dated? Lead synth and synth voice, would be my first guess?

The listing does allow retro. Am I retro in a bad way here?
Yes, I guess the synth sounds, as well as the pizzicato strings, are the worst offenders here. Even the drums sound a bit dated.

The listing does allow retro in any commercially viable genre, but how commercially viable are early 90s-sounding Christmas rap instrumentals? I don't know. Tastes are subjective and you might have exactly what someone is looking for. You do have a decent mix and composition after all. But... I feel you might have better luck if you have a way to make it sound a bit more organic. Based on the reference tracks, I'm just not sure that this is what they meant by retro. I hope I'm being helpful... :?

jdkotaska
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jdkotaska » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:31 am

Hmm... getting better. Now, about that baking pan... :lol: Surely you've got a real snare sample in that new DAW of yours?

jdkotaska
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jdkotaska » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:31 pm

Yeah, I think you're a lot closer to target than you were. You took down the original track so I can't compare directly, but I think the difference is pretty obvious. Wouldn't you agree?

I still think it could use some organic instrumentation, like an acoustic guitar or something, but if that not your thing, then its not your thing. Good luck to you!