The journey or the destination?

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

The journey or the destination?

Post by jchitty » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:40 am

Oh Lord, I feel kind of silly when I talk on an 'inspirational level.'It just ain't me, but here's what I'm finding. I am LOVING the journey I'm on lately. Every time I write a line I love or create a chord progression that gives me goosebumps, I know that's what it's really about. It's wonderful to be recognized of course, to have a hit song or to win an award, but sometimes we forget how wonderful the journey is, the self fullfillment we get when we created something just for ourselves, not worrying about fowards, etc. I have a friend who cleans houses. She loves her job. You may ask how someone who cleans houses can love her job....not many people like to clean. She once said, "There is nothing like the feeling of cleaning a floor and it being all shiny....you know you did that....you believe you're the best floor shiner out there." Some may laugh at this, but it just goes to show you that attitude is everything....it's about loving what you do independent of any kudos from others. That doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to be better or work toward fowards....I just think we should enjoy the journey. So which is it for you, the journey or the destination....or both?

byllsong
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: The journey or the destination?

Post by byllsong » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:38 am

Hi, I've been on this journey for about 40 years. I started out as an inexperienced dreamer determined to 'make' it. There have been hills and valleys along the way. I have met people on this journey, with it's many side-roads, that have added to the quality of my life. In my last life I must have done good to be a musician in this one. I have had some successes along the way...nothing major, but enough to keep the engine running. Then one day I found out about Taxi...I turned a corner and saw a whole new path ahead...I'll see where this leads...so far the scenery is nice All that to say this...I am enjoying the journey and heading to my destination.Billy
Billy

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:47 am

Has to be both. There's no other way. Whether we like it or not. We are on a journey, and we are heading somewhere.When we feel the joy of creating something, that's being in the moment, being in the now, feeling alive. Which is what we are here to feel and to do. And as we journey forward our experiences and learnings add to what we create and increase our satisfaction. I prefer to focus on the journey and trust that it is leading me somewhere, that if I am alive and open in the moment that inspiration will come... yet I do have a 'general' direction in mind. I think we have to be careful not to be too specific about our destination... because then we will take the inspiration out of it.For example, I never, in a million years, would have expected to be teaching voice. It wasn't even on my radar 15 years ago. Yet now I run a very full teaching studio. And... I'm writing music. Not only am I writing music, I am now composing & producing for film/tv. Again, not even on my radar 10 years ago. Furthest thought from my mind. If I had decided that my life was going be 'plan A', and that success would be defined by reaching/realizing 'plan A', I would have missed the joy of a journey that is taking me places I never dreamed... and allows me to connect with so many great people. But all that has come about because I wanted to live the most creative life possible... which was and is my goal... because the act of doing/making/playing/painting makes me feel alive in this moment, right now. And that is what life is meant to be, a series of now moments of aliveness and oneness with all. With the occasional spirited discussion on what makes a hit song, lol.Good topic for a thread
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:54 am

Quote:Has to be both. There's no other way. Whether we like it or not. We are on a journey, and we are heading somewhere.When we feel the joy of creating something, that's being in the moment, being in the now, feeling alive. Which is what we are here to feel and to do. And as we journey forward our experiences and learnings add to what we create and increase our satisfaction. I prefer to focus on the journey and trust that it is leading me somewhere, that if I am alive and open in the moment that inspiration will come... yet I do have a 'general' direction in mind. I think we have to be careful not to be too specific about our destination... because then we will take the inspiration out of it.For example, I never, in a million years, would have expected to be teaching voice. It wasn't even on my radar 15 years ago. Yet now I run a very full teaching studio. And... I'm writing music. Not only am I writing music, I am now composing & producing for film/tv. Again, not even on my radar 10 years ago. Furthest thought from my mind. If I had decided that my life was going be 'plan A', and that success would be defined by reaching/realizing 'plan A', I would have missed the joy of a journey that is taking me places I never dreamed... and allows me to connect with so many great people. But all that has come about because I wanted to live the most creative life possible... which was and is my goal... because the act of doing/making/playing/painting makes me feel alive in this moment, right now. And that is what life is meant to be, a series of now moments of aliveness and oneness with all. With the occasional spirited discussion on what makes a hit song, lol.Good topic for a thread Hey, good thoughts, Silvercord, Byllsong and Birdy. Vikki, I think you sum up what I've always believed....that for the most part, if you love what you do, success will follow. The journey makes us feel alive, and the rewards with regards to the destination can be sweet too.

squids
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by squids » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:04 am

there's a destination? Good subject, chits! I think I like music because, like silvercord said, it's being in the moment.....the phrase, the lyric line, the fluorish at the end of a piano riff.....the breath in jes before you sing, that stillness and yet the feeling of being motion. I don't look where I'm going much. Probably not the best example here. Sorry!

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:14 am

Quote:there's a destination? Good subject, chits! I think I like music because, like silvercord said, it's being in the moment.....the phrase, the lyric line, the fluorish at the end of a piano riff.....the breath in jes before you sing, that stillness and yet the feeling of being motion. I don't look where I'm going much. Probably not the best example here. Sorry! GIRL, you're always a good example to me!

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:32 am

Quote:Awww. Thanks!! I've learned a lot from you too!You know, I love ya, Girlfriend!

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:38 am

Quote:In my experience -- if its all about the destination -- you will never actually be happy. Because even when you get the goal - well, then what? And the journey becomes all about what you don't have yet. So many people miss the fact that they are getting their goals every day, because every day it's all about the next destination.Here's how I think about it. It's the journey. The goals are the context that the journey is in. They often give the journey meaning. Or at least they seem to. Really, what gives the journey meaning are your beliefs -- about yourself, about the world, about your music, about your possibility of success at achieving that destination, about the worthiness of the destination, and so on....That's what creates your experience. So, if you're not enjoying the journey in the moment -- what are you believing? Shift that and you'll shift everything.DebraThat's so true, Debra. There are people who achieve their 'goals,' and they are never happy. They just want MORE. If you can enjoy the journey, you'll probably also enjoy the destination and savor it once it's reached. There are people who can't enjoy either.

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:32 am

"There's one simple truth That's keeping me aliveIt ain't the destinationIt's the drive" No need to feel silly. As you said to me on another thread, Chits, "these sorts of sentiments can never be overstated". Great idea for a thread.Ted
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:37 am

Quote:"There's one simple truth That's keeping me aliveIt ain't the destinationIt's the drive" No need to feel silly. As you said to me on another thread, Chits, "these sorts of sentiments can never be overstated". Great idea for a thread.TedWhen I was younger, I was SO sentimental, hehe. As I grow older, I think I'm turning into an 'ole sourpuss. Could just be the lack of estrogen, hehe....I know, too MUCH information.