The Lounge Lizard

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

opensky
Active
Active

The Lounge Lizard

Post by opensky » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:04 pm

First of all, I acknowlege this song breaks about every rule in writing a "hit song." I guess it's what you would call a commercial suicide. But there's still a market for it, albeit a small one. Have you heard Mars Volta?http://soundclick.com/openThe Lounge Lizard

rick
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: The Lounge Lizard

Post by rick » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:08 am

When you described your song my first reaction was uh-oh,but I kept an open mind and was pleasantly surprised.Your song obviously breaks rules,but it also breaks new musical ground.You are an extremely original artist.The chorus melody(your my god) is fantastic.It sounds very Brian Wilson.I don't mean beach boy Brian Wilson but his post beach boy solo stuff.The changing instrumentation and mood throughout the song were imaginative.Your vocals and playing were top notch.Would like to hear more harmonies though.The biggest obstacle a song like this may have is the length.You know radio loves those 3 minute songs.Anyway keep pushin' and do what you do!Oh by the way I did listen to the song twice!

anne
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by anne » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:18 am

Rules are made to be broken. I like this song a lot and found it enjoyable. I would find it really long for radio play, but then again the change ups in it make it a different type of song that I wouldn't think you'd come up with in pursuit of top 40 airplay. That being said, I could easily see a shortened remix of 2nd half on the air. I would hesitate to call it commercial suicide as you did. I love the originality and yes, I've heard of Mars Volta. Nice work!

opensky
Active
Active

Post by opensky » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:31 am

Quote:Rules are made to be broken. I like this song a lot and found it enjoyable. I would find it really long for radio play, but then again the change ups in it make it a different type of song that I wouldn't think you'd come up with in pursuit of top 40 airplay. That being said, I could easily see a shortened remix of 2nd half on the air. I would hesitate to call it commercial suicide as you did. I love the originality and yes, I've heard of Mars Volta. Nice work!Thanks Anne. I am toying with the idea of coming up with an "edited" version for airplay. I guess I was feeling a little "defensive" when I posted this topic as I know the obvious "problems" with the song if I were to go for top 40 airplay. Thanks for the encouragement.

opensky
Active
Active

Post by opensky » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:50 pm

Quote:When you described your song my first reaction was uh-oh,but I kept an open mind and was pleasantly surprised.Your song obviously breaks rules,but it also breaks new musical ground.You are an extremely original artist.The chorus melody(your my god) is fantastic.It sounds very Brian Wilson.I don't mean beach boy Brian Wilson but his post beach boy solo stuff.The changing instrumentation and mood throughout the song were imaginative.Your vocals and playing were top notch.Would like to hear more harmonies though.The biggest obstacle a song like this may have is the length.You know radio loves those 3 minute songs.Anyway keep pushin' and do what you do!Oh by the way I did listen to the song twice!Thanks Rick for keeping an open mind. I appreciate the comparison to Brian Wilson. I never thought about it but that is a very good comparison.