The Neverending Mix

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: The Neverending Mix

Post by ernstinen » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:41 pm

Hey Koolpaloop!I just took a break from composing, and listened to your tunes.You're a real talented guy and arranger! I thought your guitar stuff was especially good, "The Essence" and "Speedboating In Spain" etc. Very nice guitar playing and textures, great drum programming and bass playing (I assume it's a real bass and programmed drums)."Chances We Take" and "Happy Spot" are pretty bright in the upper midrange. And the string/synth stuff were too short for me to really comment. Orchestral samples are so advanced these days that the competition is tough on stuff like that.All in all, I think you're doing a fine job. Mixing on headphones! Wow, that takes some ears.Ern

koopaloop

Post by koopaloop » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:11 am

Hey Ern,Thanks for taking the time to listen.And as long as you thought the guitar stuff was good, Im happy, because thats mainly what I make.........As for the stuff being too bright.I agree. It sounded really good in my headphones, so I left it.But when I played it in my car......ugh!It was so bright it was hurting my ears. And I had to adjust my cars EQ. The bass and drums are real.Well on "In Essence", "Chances We Take" its me playing.THough......If by real you mean acoustic.....then no.I am playing on electronic drums, which may give them that "programmed" feel. I dunno.... But on the Spain one, And Lettered Hands its BetaMonkey loops.If you havent tried Beta Monkey, I highly recommend them! www.betamonkeymusic.comIve never been dissapointed with any of the CD's. I just about have them all now. Because theyre that good.Its wierd.....buy one....and you cant stop! hehe. Musicians crack!! TTYL

anne
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by anne » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:43 am

Wow - great work and great mixing!!!Keep it upAnne

prez
Impressive
Impressive

Post by prez » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:49 am

Quote:Hi everyoneIm a long time reader and first time poster, as I have just joined Taxi recently.And one question came to mind, now that Im trying to write music specifically for listings.Is the mix and remix.WHEN DOES IT END???The mix ends when it's as close as you're going to get it or is dead on which how you want it. If you keep redoing a song, it will eventually just lose it's specialness from trying to make it too perfect.Imperfections are sometimes a good thing and can give a song character. By that, I mean minor things. A background noise that fits right in with the music, a sigh, a word in the background, etc. These are surprise elements that you hear but seem to be done on purpose because they fit in the song.Pitch problems, too much reverb, harsh sounds that make it hard on the ears. etc; all of these need to be fixed.Quote:Every time I think Im done with a song, I listen to it the next day with fresh ears. and every time a coconut, something sounds like it needs to be adjusted.Every single time.See my above comment.Quote:Also, does anyone know of a good orchestra sampler/library/VST instrument, for cheap.I dont have alot of money.Don't need a lot of money. Just need to stay with a certain platform, know your equipment, and practice your craft by making songs and getting feedback like you are doing now. If you have to save up to get what you need then have patience young jedi and save up. You'll be better for it in the long run. Oh..and educate yourself. If you don't have a subscription to a music magazine like Electronic Musician or Keyboard, get one. And invest in music books. God bless.
Truth Music - Music You Can Live To
http://www.4Six3Sound.com
prez@4six3sound.com
Twitter: 4Six3_Sound

brennanhester
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by brennanhester » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:39 am

Hello all, I'm so impressed by the helpful input from folks on here that I thought I'd like to get some opinions on my recordings if anyone has time (or interest).I'm fairly new to the whole process of doing it all on my own, and I'm not at all confident in my final mixes. I'd love to hear some tips from you more experienced people. Thanks a lot!Brennanhttp://www.broadjam.com/brennanhester

arkjack
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by arkjack » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:06 pm

Hi BrennanI gave a listen through a few songs. Nice work over all. I think your mixes are really good and your songwriting and composing is decent as well. I like the influences and varied genres.... a little genesis, john lennon, Good luck with this... you should fare at least good if not well... ArkJack

brennanhester
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by brennanhester » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:27 pm

Thanks, arkjack. I feel slightly less nervous already!

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:18 am

I'm still tweaking stuff from 3 years ago. But I'm getting better at slappng myself on the wrist.
It's been said that I have Murderous eyes.

jbeck
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by jbeck » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:00 pm

You know you've gone too far when every instrument in your mix seems to compete to get heard if that makes any sense. Nothing really stands out but a lot of sounds fused together.I doubt the average music listener analyzes our music..oh yeah that's a lot of reverb there..I hear a piccolo and a harp..is that angels I hear in the background..One thing about creating music is that there will always be something that could be changed..musical possiblites are endless..hopefully the finished product will have a great melody and lyrics that will express what someone else would like to say but can't.Ok..I'm tired of being wordy..jbeck

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:09 am

You also change your perceptions of music through time. You might make a mix one year when heavy bass is popular, and include that in your track. Then a year later, the heavy bass goes out of fashion and you listen to your track and think 'Woh. Way too much bass'.You've got to go with your gut feeling at the time.I beleive that if you can't get it right, then you don't really know what it is you are aiming for.A bit like me really.
It's been said that I have Murderous eyes.