The Neverending Mix

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

arkjack
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: The Neverending Mix

Post by arkjack » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:45 am

A mix is like soup.. you have to keep tasting it until you think its delicious... the problem is the head chef might think it tastes like garbage..... But as an analogy, soup just about covers it... think about how many ways you can modify the recipe... and it eventually boils down to practice... finding the things that work. In my own case, I just got finished reading my latest batch of returns from TAXI submissions which can only mean one thing.... I have to go back to the kitchen and re-cook my soup.... when the maitre d' (TAXI) feels it is worthy of serving in the dining room (a forward) then I can feel comfortale in saying that soup is done... if the guest tastes it , likes it, and eats it.... then its good soup.... my original batch of soup tasted like s**t...... at least now the chefs say it just tastes a little funny..... still a little undercooked or missing an ingredient.... I use a couple of Rolad BR units chained together.... I haven't been able to good results on a soft console... I have garageband, sonar, live, but i only use them occaisionally to experiment with edits of wav files I created on the Roland....By the way... post a link to your kitchen and let us have a taste... ArkJack

koopaloop

Post by koopaloop » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:19 pm

Great analogy Arckjack........I really like it. I think the problem I have with my soup is the ingredients just arent good enough. (meaning my playing) So no matter how you mix the ingredients, if they were stale from the beginning its gonna wreck the soup. ;-)See.....The pot is fine, (my DAW/Software)The spoon is fine (my mixer)THe recipe is fine, i think or hope(the song writing)But the ingredients are lacking......I play guitar, bass, keys, and drums.....in most my songs.So Im a jack of all trades, but master of none.I also find it hard sometimes, to be inspired without other people....in the mix.Its much easier to write a great collaboration song, with someone to feed off of.....or better yet a band etc. You know?You say you cant seem to get a good sound from a soft console?Why is that? Do you know? Whats your setup? Sounds sweet with all those rolands in a chain. And.....I'll provide a link as soon as I upload some stuff to broadjam. PS Also....does anyone have problems with finishing songs?Like starting them and never coming round to ending them. Its frustrating.

koopaloop

Post by koopaloop » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:10 pm

Heres a link to my kitchen http://www.broadjam.com/artists/artisti ... tID=42235I mix in my headphones, cuz I live in an apartment. And now after uploading these and listening to them on my laptop speakers......they're either way too loud or bassy, cuz I have been compensating for my shitty headphones. RRRGH!! Oh well......any critisism is welcome.

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:41 pm

Hey Koolpaloop!I just took a break from composing, and listened to your tunes.You're a real talented guy and arranger! I thought your guitar stuff was especially good, "The Essence" and "Speedboating In Spain" etc. Very nice guitar playing and textures, great drum programming and bass playing (I assume it's a real bass and programmed drums)."Chances We Take" and "Happy Spot" are pretty bright in the upper midrange. And the string/synth stuff were too short for me to really comment. Orchestral samples are so advanced these days that the competition is tough on stuff like that.All in all, I think you're doing a fine job. Mixing on headphones! Wow, that takes some ears.Ern

koopaloop

Post by koopaloop » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:11 am

Hey Ern,Thanks for taking the time to listen.And as long as you thought the guitar stuff was good, Im happy, because thats mainly what I make.........As for the stuff being too bright.I agree. It sounded really good in my headphones, so I left it.But when I played it in my car......ugh!It was so bright it was hurting my ears. And I had to adjust my cars EQ. The bass and drums are real.Well on "In Essence", "Chances We Take" its me playing.THough......If by real you mean acoustic.....then no.I am playing on electronic drums, which may give them that "programmed" feel. I dunno.... But on the Spain one, And Lettered Hands its BetaMonkey loops.If you havent tried Beta Monkey, I highly recommend them! www.betamonkeymusic.comIve never been dissapointed with any of the CD's. I just about have them all now. Because theyre that good.Its wierd.....buy one....and you cant stop! hehe. Musicians crack!! TTYL

prez
Impressive
Impressive

Post by prez » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:49 am

Quote:Hi everyoneIm a long time reader and first time poster, as I have just joined Taxi recently.And one question came to mind, now that Im trying to write music specifically for listings.Is the mix and remix.WHEN DOES IT END???The mix ends when it's as close as you're going to get it or is dead on which how you want it. If you keep redoing a song, it will eventually just lose it's specialness from trying to make it too perfect.Imperfections are sometimes a good thing and can give a song character. By that, I mean minor things. A background noise that fits right in with the music, a sigh, a word in the background, etc. These are surprise elements that you hear but seem to be done on purpose because they fit in the song.Pitch problems, too much reverb, harsh sounds that make it hard on the ears. etc; all of these need to be fixed.Quote:Every time I think Im done with a song, I listen to it the next day with fresh ears. and every time a coconut, something sounds like it needs to be adjusted.Every single time.See my above comment.Quote:Also, does anyone know of a good orchestra sampler/library/VST instrument, for cheap.I dont have alot of money.Don't need a lot of money. Just need to stay with a certain platform, know your equipment, and practice your craft by making songs and getting feedback like you are doing now. If you have to save up to get what you need then have patience young jedi and save up. You'll be better for it in the long run. Oh..and educate yourself. If you don't have a subscription to a music magazine like Electronic Musician or Keyboard, get one. And invest in music books. God bless.
Truth Music - Music You Can Live To
http://www.4Six3Sound.com
prez@4six3sound.com
Twitter: 4Six3_Sound

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:13 pm

This is something most of us probably go through. If we knew exactly what we wanted to do with it we'd sort it out in not time at all. I suppose it's all down to the learning experience.I've posted a link to a track in 'Shameless promotion' for that very reason. I've had replies and I'm over the moon that someone else has cast a critical eye on it, because I sometimes sit there. I know it's not right, but I can't really identify what it is. Well, there's a possibility that someone else will.If you are putting your tracks out for opinion. One important thing to remember is that each of us grows up with our own mixture of styles. So one persons criticism might be based on their likes. I think it's best to take more notice of those who share similar interests in music.Striving for a better mix!
It's been said that I have Murderous eyes.

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:37 pm

Perfectly understandable. It's well in advance of anything I do. I like to think I write good songs well. I just don't record good songs well. Thanks for the advice Ulf. I get the impression you've been doing this for some time. A studio hermit

mixopenta
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mixopenta » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:30 am

Your suspicion is correct, I am (or was) a studio hermit... I used to make a living out of it, but I still have a whole lot more to learn. And for me it's the other way around - I make crappy songs sound decent Mixing is one of the steps in the recording process I actually enjoy the most...heck, sometimes I record something just to mix The real kick sets in when you've been mixing at a really low level for awhile, and when you think you've got the balance right, just crank it up really, really loud...thats like inhaling illegal stuff...(that is, when it sounds good) The experience of never being quite content with a mix (I have my fair share of those moments too ever so often), indicates to me that something is wrong with the listening environment. Not that having a comfortable monitoring situation eliminates the need of double checking in other systems, but there's a greater chance of success if it's a closer match to one's vision from the start.Another thing I find valuable (might be a personal thing), is letting other people listening in while you're double checking. They don't need to venture into sharing their opinions, in fact it's better if they keep their mouths shut. They only need to pretend they're listening. But what they do is boosting my analytical senses in a more critical way just by being present. You can sit for hours alone in front of your studio monitors slowly drifting into acceptance of just about anything, not noticing you're getting completely out of line... (oh gosh, that was a bit fluffy. I think my ears have been inhaling too much acid jazz lately..its getting to my brain - oh noooh!!

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:04 am

There's a song in that