The REAL DEAL!!!

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: The REAL DEAL!!!

Post by hummingbird » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:37 pm

from http://taxi.proboards27.com/index.cgi?b ... 7"Jonathan K. (California)- Jonathan was recently informed that Universal Music in Eastern Europe (starting in Poland) will be releasing his first Swing/Pop album in mid-June, and they are paying for his entire band to fly out and perform live, and on national television! Here’s what Jonny had to say: “It all started with a placement (through TAXI) of one of my songs, "Girl From Ipanema," on a Jazz compilation CD and they ended up liking my whole album so much they asked me if I'd be up for having it released...I couldn't exactly say no.”"I guess that counts as ONE.In addition... I suppose these aren't "major" enough for you, but the artists concerned seem to think the deals are advantageous to their careers.Harvey R. (Texas)- Hip-Hop artist and TAXI member Harvey recently signed his album “The Unexpected, They Made Me” to an Independent Music Distributor. It took six months to hear back from the company after the forward through TAXI, but it resulted in his CD getting exposure to 400+ markets online, and the possibility to be sold in stores such as Best Buy, Walmart, Kmart, Target, etc.Joey O. (Maryland)- As a result of his TAXI membership, Joey has signed his Hip-Hop album with an Independent Music Distributor with Major Distribution affiliation. The deal begins as a 90-day digital distribution deal, with exclusivity. If he sells 500+ units within that period, this company offers full retail & general distribution in North America.Shaun B. (Utah)- As a result of his TAXI membership, Shaun had his Jazz songs forwarded and then had his Jazz/Pop crossover album Big Bang Theory signed with an Independent Music Distributor with Major Distribution affiliation."But.... if you have a problem with TAXI, then I suggest you contact the Toll-free number at the top of your screen. TAXI may not be for everyone, but they have not been in business as long as they have by ripping people off.H.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:38 pm

Aug 17, 2008, 10:20pm, gerrel wrote:The one thing I hate in life is BLIND FAITH. Geez man, I've always thought Steve Winwood was cool. You may be onto something pal, but could you please break up your long paragraphs into smaller things that are easier to read? I'm just an old hippie trying to get a major label deal.

suzdoyle
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by suzdoyle » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:52 pm

Hi Gerrel;I appreciate the questions you raise, because asking questions invites us to pay closer attention to what we are choosing in life.Perhaps the deeper question behind your point about the "big deal" is: What is your intention regarding your musical goals? Does the "big deal" mean getting a large contract and the associated fame/ fortune/ etc. along with it? What is behind that desire? And what would that be like for you if you achieved that? Or might the "big deal" be something that doesn't necessarily involve what is conventionally thought of as "success?" Might it perhaps be simply enjoying every step of your unfolding journey as a composer?For me, it's the latter. When I decided a few years ago to step into the possibility of creating a career as a composer, I had a clear intention at the outset of doing so with these values in mind: 1. The ability to continue doing what I love (creating music), surfing the creative flow both alone and with musical friends and co-horts.2. The ability to continue having my privacy and ample time for contemplation, self-care, and a natural, easy going flow of work and play.3. The ability to continue LOVING the ways music weaves itself into various facets of my life, my community and my connection with others.4. To have my "composer-ness" unfold naturally and organically, in its own time and manner (All right, I confess: I'm from Oregon, so naturally this involves wearing Birkenstocks and socks !)5. To relish the surprises that come with being a composer -- finding your music popping up in fun movies, commercials and projects that you might never have imagined existed.To me, having a conventional "big deal" wouldn't feel healthy for my particular preferences and values. I feel that "fame" often brings with it a feeling that one becomes a commodity owned by the public and the music biz machinery -- and that doesn't appeal to me.However, I'm very happy to be a well-paid composer who has enough of a degree of anonymity that I can sashay through life without throngs of paparazzi, and artificial urgencies. Soooooo, your questions and thoughts about the big deal are good ones to ponder on this Taxi ride through musicianship and composership, and life, the universe and everything.Thanks for bringing 'em up!And in conclusion, my fellow composer-arians, from my point of view, the "real deal" is doing what you love and living life authentically, whatever that might look like each step along the way**Suz(apparent queen of Zen Musings, Incl)** even if it involves spandex and 80s hair.

linziellen
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by linziellen » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:19 am

I hear where you're coming from Gerrel, but I'm not sure that Taxi are really promoting "major deals" (to the point of giving false hope) and then again - that all depends on your idea of a major deal! Anyway, they're only doing their job no?!? If a company uses Taxi to seek out artists they may/may not sign, then it's Taxi's place to put that out to it's members. I like reading these posts though, it's good to see things from different angles, to keep filling the knowledge bucket.I think Suz puts it nicely. Linzi

slideboardouts
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by slideboardouts » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:45 am

What you're talking about isn't really a TAXI thing at all...its a major label thing. Even if you do get signed to a major label the chances of you or your band/group seeing the light of day and getting any success is extremely slim.From my town alone I can think of 6 bands/artists from multiple genres that have been signed to major labels and all (with the exception of The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus) have pretty much been screwed hard. Four were rock bands, 1 was a rapper, and 1 was a teen-R&B/pop singer. They all had little successes here and there like videos on MTV, BET, performances on Cartoon Network, music in video games, and guest spots on more famous artists/bands albums. But in the end all but 1 had nothing to show for a whole hell of a lot of work and sacrifice.So that's 1 out of 6. And who knows if RJA will have a good sophomore attempt. In the long run even they might get put in the "unsuccessful with a major" category.I think you are smart to start submitting to publisher/library listings. A big reason why I am most focused on the library music is because of all the bands and artists I've seen get signed with a major and go absolutely no where.-Steve

vicky
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by vicky » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:33 pm

gerrelAll the stones happen to be stepping stones....one foot in front of the other.....you never know where a connection can appear....vtbp

gerrel
Active
Active

Post by gerrel » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:29 pm

Hey Linzie....I think people misunderstand me.It seems like when ever you question taxi or challenge taxi there are those who want you to quit taxi or go away because your not suppose to challenge or question all mighty taxi! I'm not referring to you by the way.I want to be clear. I in no way shape or form think Taxi is a SCAM. I never ever implied that it was a scam. I would not have been a member for three years if I thought it was a scam. I also remember me saying how taxi has helped me as well to reinforce my stand.Another thing..Let me clarify what I mean by "MAJOR LABEL" because that name isn't the same like it use to be. In the past Major Label meant a multi million dollar company that had access to all the radio stations and video stations around the nation or the world.But today...Small tiny tiny tiny independent labels are wielding the power of the major labels by having access to all the radio stations and video networks and concert networks too. And they are worth a little shy of half a million dollars or less. Even major labels secretly invest in indie labels now because indie labels are the revolution of the biz now. So what I mean by major label deal is nation wide radio play,nation wide video play, and access to concert tours with huge headlining stars or superstars. And from what I have seen on this post in the seventeen years that taxi has been in biz not ONE artist hit that mark! I believe taxi work as hard as they can to get people signed! I believe that taxi even try things to boost a persons chances even to get signed. But the hard truth is this...I try to always be true to the situation and true to myself that has helped me avoid a lot of pitfalls in life...The truth is...If a record company person decide not to help you...its over. You can have a grand fan base...a perfect act...perfect recording....perfect live show(and taxi has a lot of guys here that fit all the molds I speak of. The truth is....Its not up to them. Sadly...no one has ever been signed like some of us wish we could. You can be the best unsigned artist in history. Taxi cant help you. If that person with power chooses not to help you all that talent and stuff don't matter. Yet there are artist that have no talent like half what I have seen on taxi..and they get signed. No matter what formula you fool yourself to believe to help you get signed it wont work. In the seventeen plus or minus years they have been in biz...I have not seen ONE artist that was signed...got national air play on the radio...got national video play on tv...tour around with other artist that headline and they are under them. Not ONE. There are a lot of maybes and probables and close to its...and were just waiting to See's though. And that has been around for ever. Yet there has never been the "I got it! I got the REAL DEAL! The national air time...the national video time...the tour networks...and then some". because there are many tiny indie labels that have the power to do that now. God bless you all...Be real with the situation and yourself. Have thick skin. Almost 90 percent of the artist I know have Rhino skin because of how hard this biz is. So I know you veteran artist know what I am talking about and agree with me. For those who are new. learn to be disappointed fast. And get use to people promising you the world or your dreams (for a fee) and being let down. Aug 18, 2008, 5:19am, linziellen wrote:I hear where you're coming from Gerrel, but I'm not sure that Taxi are really promoting "major deals" (to the point of giving false hope) and then again - that all depends on your idea of a major deal! Anyway, they're only doing their job no?!? If a company uses Taxi to seek out artists they may/may not sign, then it's Taxi's place to put that out to it's members. I like reading these posts though, it's good to see things from different angles, to keep filling the knowledge bucket.I think Suz puts it nicely. Linzi

linziellen
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by linziellen » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:41 am

Hey Ger-rel, I totally understand where you're coming from. You could say I'm just sponging at the moment, trying to take in as much info as possible and also decide what I want to get out of my musical career. I haven't joined Taxi, I hardly have anything to show for myself, but perhaps one day I will. So, it's always interesting/helpful to read posts like this. Thanks.Linzi

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:01 am

I guess the "success stories" I posted above don't fit your criteria for success? I don't really see the point of posting here about what Taxi presumably isn't doing for everyone else. I'm a member of Taxi because it works for me, it's a fit, my membership has assisted me in developing my knowledge of the business and my skills in producing music for it... and I have signed deals from Taxi forwards. I think it's crucial that we each have our own definition of success for ourselves and that we have a business plan for our career. As far as I'm concerned, I'm right on track.But I would say keep your eye on Kelly Greene... if any member of this forum is poised to rock the nation, it would be her
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

nycoach
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by nycoach » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:05 am

Hmmm..Isn't Taxi just ANOTHER avenue, to get your music heard anyway? Not the ONLY avenue, and let me say from experience, "major" labels aren't the end all be all, I promise you. I know of a few different artists who finally started making money, when they finally got OUT of their major label deals...