The Suspense is Killing Me!

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mixopenta
Impressive
Impressive

Re: The Suspense is Killing Me!

Post by mixopenta » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:42 am

Vikki, Thanks for your kind words and I'm glad you posted those other links to your tracks. It was a great pleasure to listen to them. I really liked Apparition, - outstanding composition! An intriguing piece which I imagine could very well fit movies similar to The Grinch, Christmas evil, or shows like Tales from the Crypt or Creepshow. I liked Nightmare in Avalon as well, it gives you a kind of an unsettling feeling, though I guess I would've dropped the drums, and put the rhytmic tension perhaps alternating between very deep piano staccatto notes, and a cello or doublebass, pizzicato perhaps...something along those lines to enchance that eerie, unsettling feeling even more. But as it says in the description it's supposed to be a mix of rock-pop and classical - so it's fine as is.Good work! There were some posts awhile back about button endings and to be honest I didn't pay too much attention to these needed to have that button ending Though I would for sure consider a button ending to be an abrupt ending, I was thinking merely as opposed to a fade-out. But if this kind of ending is referring to an abrupt ending only, I guess 'Facedances' is the only one of the three that would fit the bill in that respect, seeing as 'In the Hallway' has a piano, kind of ringing out into the distance.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:59 am

HiI hear some excellent pieces posted on this thread! I'd bet there are some forwards in this batch... Was this dispatch? If so, we'll know very soon...It really shows how composers with good home studio equipment and home studio skills, who can turn new pieces around quickly, have a big advantage. Often, the leads for film are quick turn-around (such as with TAXI Dispatch). The film might be in post-production and they've filled all the music spots except 1-2... So they turn to new artists and composers for those last pieces. Can't wait to hear which of these were selected! Casey

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:39 am

John - The opening is brilliant. Our styles are so different it's really fun to listen to your music. I agree with the others about the middle section. If there was more time I'd suggest taking that and making a second track. Still, the whole composition is such a knockout. BTW, This is a Yes/No so there's no critique. Vikki - OK, first, regarding Apparition you're REALLY making the best use of EWQL Silver. Even though Silver sounds good in and of itself, the articulations are a little limited but if I had heard this not knowing who did this, I never would have guessed EWQL Silver was what was being used. I like this one a lot. I'm with whoever said that "Nightmare In Avalon" would maybe work better without the drum track. Putting the drum track aside, the whole thing reminds me of music to "Nightmare Before Christmas" or something like that. Ulf - Great work on all three. I liked Alien Armada the best. I wanted to do something electronic but as my usual unorganized self, the deadline snuck up on me and I only had time for one. So congratulations on the music and also being organized enough to do three tracks.

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:48 am

Thanks guys and gals-- I forgot about this listing. The stuff posted so far is great!!! A lot of talent on this little board. Here are three I pulled from the archive for this listing:March of the BellsDesert ChaseImpending VerdictAub

rnrmachine
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by rnrmachine » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:00 am

All I can say is.. wow This listing is gonna get some forwards. I listened to everyones stuff and it's all pretty cool. I am almost afraid to post my submission 'cause it isn't as "big" as some of your guys. I think mine is ok enough to have a shot at a forward though. /crosses fingershttp://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_id=56537&stream=trueI hope you guys/gals like it at least a lil if ya get to listen.Rob
http://www.taxi.com/johnsteskal
Sonar X1 PE Expanded on a Windows 7 64bit system.
Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
Thermaltake PSU 500watts can run 5 SATA
Asus P5QL PRO Mboard with 4GB of Ram
Radeon X1650 512MB Ram
WD Blue HDrives. OS, Sample, Audio.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:27 am

Quote:All I can say is.. wow This listing is gonna get some forwards. I listened to everyones stuff and it's all pretty cool. I am almost afraid to post my submission 'cause it isn't as "big" as some of your guys. I think mine is ok enough to have a shot at a forward though. /crosses fingershttp://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_id=56537&stream=trueI hope you guys/gals like it at least a lil if ya get to listen.RobHey Rob - there's some nice stuff in your piece. It seems to mix a 'lightness' with scareyness... like something you might hear in a Harry Potter film. The drums at 15/16 secs and the high strings at 1:05 sound like they could drop back in the mix just a touch. Interesting composition!
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:34 am

Quote:Thanks guys and gals-- I forgot about this listing. The stuff posted so far is great!!! A lot of talent on this little board. Here are three I pulled from the archive for this listing:March of the BellsDesert ChaseImpending VerdictAubHey Aub - all three are groovy. I like the creepy bells in March of the Bells and the neat build in intensity. Cool creepy low sounds. Neat ending too. Desert Chase is suspenseful electronica with a groove. Impending Verdict I can definitely hear in a film. Excellent production quality, of course! Great stuff.Good luck, everyone!!
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

jewelwing

Post by jewelwing » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:26 am

Mazz - way to write a thread subject line to draw us all in! It was really fun listening to everyone's music for this listing, especially because one of my early musical influences was movie soundtrack music. (But I'm working on carnival music at the moment, and didn't have time to pursue this listing.)Rob's piece made me think of classic sound track music. Dave's made me think of Tomb Raider without the vocal element. And several others reminded me how anything that sounds like a toy piano has come to represent the sinister and scary. I'm sure there's some psychological connection between innocence and horror.Good luck to all of you!

liamkelly
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by liamkelly » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:08 pm

It's 12.50 am here and having just put the baby to sleep again, I thought I'd trawl through some postings before hitting the sack. Got sucked in to Mazz's horror thread. Bad move.Aside from sterling work all 'round can someone tell me how the hell I'm going to sleep tonight? I listened to all tracks and got metaphorically stabbed, gutted and strangled many times along the wayFrom Mazz's tremendous climax, Dave's absolute sinisitrism (if it's not a word it should be), Ulf's sheer scary drama, Vikki's creepiness (that 'Apparition' is cuh-reepy) and those dreaded marching bells of Aub's. Hell's teeth, I'm going to have sleep with the light on.Some really, really good work here. Give yourselves a pat on the back or a chainsaw in the head or whatever it is you horror music composers give each other

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:36 pm

Great stuff everyone! Nice to see the dark side every once in a while!Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!