Then and Than?!

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

orest
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Then and Than?!

Post by orest » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:49 am

When do you use then and when do you use than? Or is Then English and Than American?Yes I know, I am a stupid Swede!

onoffon
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Then and Than?!

Post by onoffon » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:59 am

Please, no belittling yourself... Then is a point in time -First, it was this, then it was that.Than is a point of comparison -I am older than I used to be.I hope that works for you...

orest
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by orest » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:19 pm

Thanks! That clarifies everything (I think). Please let me know if I use the words incorrect. I also need to work on my grammar, it's not the easiest.

ibanez468
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ibanez468 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:46 pm

HeHeHe, yeah, the 2 can be kinda' tricky sometimes. Hope this helps.Main Entry: then Pronunciation: \ˈthen\ Function: adverb Etymology: Middle English than, then then, than, from Old English thonne, thænne; akin to Old High German denne then, than, Old English thæt that Date: before 12th century 1: at that time2 a: soon after that : next in order of time <walked to the door, then turned> b: following next after in order of position, narration, or enumeration : being next in a series <first came the clowns, then came the elephants> c: in addition : besides <then there is the interest to be paid.>Main Entry: than Pronunciation: \thən, ˈthan\ Function: conjunction Etymology: Middle English than, then then, than — more at then Date: before 12th century 1 a—used as a function word to indicate the second member or the member taken as the point of departure in a comparison expressive of inequality ; used with comparative adjectives and comparative adverbs <older than I am><easier said than done> b—used as a function word to indicate difference of kind, manner, or identity ; used especially with some adjectives and adverbs that express diversity <anywhere else than at home>2: rather than —usually used only after prefer, preferable, and preferably3: other thanibanez468

onoffon
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by onoffon » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:51 pm

Mar 14, 2009, 3:19pm, orest wrote:Please let me know if I use the words incorrect.Okay - you would "use the words incorrectly".

orest
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by orest » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:55 pm

pitterpatter
Impressive
Impressive

Post by pitterpatter » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:20 pm

'Then' is what will happen or did happen next.'Than' is a comparison as in "I like oranges rather than pears."Just another couple of examples of what has already been said.

heinsite
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by heinsite » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:24 pm

hey orest,i dig that you had the guts to ASK! hell, i don't know one word in swedish, well unless swedish meatballs counts--don't think so.. wait, is smorgasbord (when spelled correctly swedish? saab? that's it i think...wh

orest
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by orest » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:34 pm

Yes, here are some Swedish words, famous people/groups: SmörgårdsbordSaab (does not exist anymore..)Volvo (appears in almost all movies made in Hollywood..)ABBARoxetteMeatballs = KöttbullarMax MartinBjörn Borg

orest
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by orest » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:36 pm

..AND Switzerland and Sweden are not the same country