There's one guy who gives reviews that I wish would quit

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

htfpapa

There's one guy who gives reviews that I wish would quit

Post by htfpapa » Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:44 pm

I recognize his tone now, and I feel like he doesn't like the job, or just my music, because it sometimes doesn't make sense. He'll say there's no energy when I'm shouting. He'll say you can't tell the hook from the verse or the hook doesn't stand out when another reviewer said they love the hook. Then there are other reviewers who, whether they actually like the music or not, actually make sense with their feedback. It's constructive and not just something to say. I feel like I learn from my feedback whenever it's not the one guy. He feels like an obstacle, the gatekeeper that always has a bad day. The troll under the bridge. Maybe it's just me...

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: There's one guy who gives reviews that I wish would quit

Post by Casey H » Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:19 pm

Best thing would for you to email headscreener AT taxi DOT com to discuss your concerns. Venting here is one thing but my experience with Taxi staff has been they will take the time to talk with you about your concerns.

Yes, we've all had some screeners that seem tougher than others. But also keep in mind that requirements vary from listing to listing. What's a strong enough hook for one listing might not be so for another, etc. And they are humans.

I hope you'll get in touch with Taxi. And, of course, keep it respectful.

Best,
:D Casey

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:16 am

If I was a screener I'd love it when I found great music that works for the listing, and I'd be frustrated at having to return tracks because there are problems or the music just doesn't fit. I'd also dislike being thought of as a gatekeeper, and would prefer to be thought of as a finder of the best music (where 'best' = exactly what is being sought). At the risk of stating the obvious, I reckon the best way to make a screener's day (and get a forward) is to submit great music that is exactly what the client is looking for. Its easier said than done for us writers, but that's the first stage of the game.

The screener in question might be driven to find great music that they know will work, but there's no point in giving people false hope by forwarding inappropriate music. Also, there will always be an element of personal taste and screeners are human with their own preferences and hangups just like the rest of us :). Otherwise, there might as well be AI screening.

Beyond Taxi there's someone at the library that will listen to forwarded tracks, perhaps with a more critical or focused ear, dismissing everything that doesn't suit their immediate needs. They'll love the screener for finding them great music that fits, but might be be disappointed and not come back to Taxi if they get stuff that just doesn't work. So is a critical screener doing a good job or a bad job? I guess that depends on your point of view.

All that said, I think Casey's advice is good and might help make a difference in the way you see the process. I agree that inconsistencies are often hard to understand, so getting some perspective from the source would be good.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:16 am

htfpapa wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:44 pm
He feels like an obstacle
When you encounter an obstacle, best to focus on how to get around, over or through it. Not on the obstacle itself.

SubRivers
Impressive
Impressive

Post by SubRivers » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:24 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:16 am
htfpapa wrote:
He feels like an obstacle
When you encounter an obstacle, best to focus on how to get around, over or through it. Not on the obstacle itself.
charging head on at the obstacle is not advised.

this quite zen advice

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:09 am

SubRivers wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:24 pm
charging head on at the obstacle is not advised.
You'd be surprised how many get out the way if you just head straight for them

kregdurant
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by kregdurant » Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:21 am

htfpapa wrote:
I recognize his tone now, and I feel like he doesn't like the job, or just my music, because it sometimes doesn't make sense. He'll say there's no energy when I'm shouting. He'll say you can't tell the hook from the verse or the hook doesn't stand out when another reviewer said they love the hook. Then there are other reviewers who, whether they actually like the music or not, actually make sense with their feedback. It's constructive and not just something to say. I feel like I learn from my feedback whenever it's not the one guy. He feels like an obstacle, the gatekeeper that always has a bad day. The troll under the bridge. Maybe it's just me...
sounds like you've found simon cowell moonlighting as a taxi screener lol

ballereau
Active
Active

Post by ballereau » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:45 am

What number is that screener?
Sounds like # 419!!!!!!!!!!!!

KCFYX

Post by KCFYX » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:47 pm

I think I know which one it is. But anyway, turned down a few of mine but a big libary signed all these exclusively (approached outside tax). So there is hope.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:57 am

KCFYX wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:47 pm
I think I know which one it is. But anyway, turned down a few of mine but a big libary signed all these exclusively (approached outside tax). So there is hope.
Well said! :)
Of course there's hope. Its natural for us all to gripe about returns as a negative thing, but if we take the 'glass half full' view they're an opportunity to find out what didn't work for a particular brief and maybe how to improve the tracks. Then we're in better shape for getting them signed up and broadcast. In fact, the more returns we get, the more guidance we get from our membership 8-) :lol: .
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.