they want an Album??

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Gillihan
Impressive
Impressive

they want an Album??

Post by Gillihan » Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:16 pm

I know what an album is ( I thought they were extinct lol) But what do libraries mean , when they say "submit a whole album ,it makes it easier to review" ? Do they actually want 12 or more songs in a collection? :D

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: they want an Album??

Post by Casey H » Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:26 pm

Gillihan wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:16 pm
I know what an album is ( I thought they were extinct lol) But what do libraries mean , when they say "submit a whole album ,it makes it easier to review" ? Do they actually want 12 or more songs in a collection? :D
I think at least 10 is the norm unless they say otherwise. MHO is put together your very best 10.

Gillihan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Gillihan » Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:28 pm

Casey H wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:26 pm
Gillihan wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:16 pm
I think at least 10 is the norm unless they say otherwise. MHO is put together your very best 10.
Thanks a heap my friend. This could be my break to get rolling ! I am sending my best and starting with stuff that has been forwarded thus far from Taxi.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:54 am

Congratulations for creating the opportunity!

By "they" I assume you mean a music library, and the fact that you ask this question suggests that you've not visited a music library's web pages. Why not? :shock: :). Most libraries offer their material as themed collections which they often call albums, and typically contain anywhere between 10 and maybe 30-ish tracks. Its often the case that those with around 10 tracks are from the same writer, whereas those with more have multiple writers contributing. It varies by library.

However, if "they want an album then its more or less guaranteed that "they" will want up to a dozen tracks that have a style connection, eg dirty blues guitar, horror drones, orchestral hybrid tension, alien landscapes, quirky animal antics, etc. Therefore, sending your best Taxi forwards might work, but only if they happen to be in very similar styles. I'm not saying that the library won't be open to accepting different styles now or in the future, but if they want YOU to make an album now its most likely they'll want you to send them tracks similar to the one that was forwarded, so you might have to write a bunch of new ones to make the most of that request. Its not at all unusual though, and if you can cope with that then say yes and get writing :).

As a general comment, everyone here is hungry to get their music in libraries, so IMHO everyone should be looking around at libraries, checking their websites for the music they offer, how it is offered, the types of clients they have, the shows they furnish, the contract types they offer (mainly exclusive these days) and their submissions policy. It could lead to spotting opportunities to submit directly, and if you genuinely have music that you think might work for them then why not do so? Taxi offers a great way to get introductions to libraries but its not the only way, and ultimately we all have to learn to operate in the world beyond, so developing awareness of how that world works is vital. Again, Taxi offers plenty of help, such as these forums, Taxi TV, and the Road Rally, but ultimately its up to all of us to help ourselves. Go for it, and at very least check out the website for whoever "they" are! :)
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:45 am

Ooops. I should have said, as Graham (Telefunkin) did, the 10 or more should be of the same style unless you hear otherwise. I assumed (could have made an ass of "u" and "me") that was a given. :P

Also, as Graham said, not every library deal is right for every composer, regardless of the source-- Taxi forward or other. I've turned down offers from libraries who contacted me from a forward because the deal was not right for ME. Others I've signed. Same with libraries I reached out to on my own.

Congrats!! And best of luck!
:D Casey

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:19 am

This is good news; congrats on getting such an invitation - an open door, imagine the possibilities.
Good onya! :P
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:34 am

Sounds like you have a lot of work to do 8-)

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:35 pm

Gillihan wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:28 pm
Thanks a heap my friend. This could be my break to get rolling ! I am sending my best and starting with stuff that has been forwarded thus far from Taxi.
Don't limit yourself to just your forwards. Send them your returs as well. EVERY time I have been contacted by a library after a forward, I offered them my returns and they always took them.

Ask them how many tracks they consider to make up an album. Some of my libraries want only ten, others want twelve. You should also expect paperwork like a composers agreement and guidelines document stating their preferred file formats, alt mixes and meta data requirements. If they do not have anything like that, ask them in an email for clarification.

Also ask them if there is a specific deadline. If there is not one, let them know how much time you think you will need to complete everything. Setting expectations is important.

Congrats on the contact and new project!
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

Gillihan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Gillihan » Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:28 am

Paulie wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:35 pm
Gillihan wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:28 pm
Don't limit yourself to just your forwards. Send them your returs as well. EVERY time I have been contacted by a library after a forward, I offered them my returns and they always took them.

Ask them how many tracks they consider to make up an album. Some of my libraries want only ten, others want twelve. You should also expect paperwork like a composers agreement and guidelines document stating their preferred file formats, alt mixes and meta data requirements. If they do not have anything like that, ask them in an email for clarification.

Also ask them if there is a specific deadline. If there is not one, let them know how much time you think you will need to complete everything. Setting expectations is important.

Congrats on the contact and new project!
Thank you for the advise and positive boost! =)

Gillihan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Gillihan » Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:30 am

Thank you all for the great tips! Very thankful! :D