This might be a dumb question, but...

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

joshbrody18

This might be a dumb question, but...

Post by joshbrody18 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:33 am

Would anyone find it useful if Taxi provided the total # of submissions for each listing when publishing the forwards results on blog.taxi.com/forwards/ ?

Ted
Impressive
Impressive

Re: This might be a dumb question, but...

Post by Ted » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:05 pm

I'd love it if Taxi would list the total number of submissions for listings on the Forwards blog.

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cassmcentee » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:27 pm

Seeing as how the blog is Public for all to see, I think it would be a bad business model to make that information available.
From time to time on Taxi TV Michael will let us know how many tunes were submitted for a specific Listing that's being discussed...
Generally quite a lot!
The more specific the Listing(ie. Old Recordings/Tuba Solos/Middle Eastern Cowboy Rap) the less will be submitted due to limited supply :P
If you would like the information so to estimate what you are up against as far as possible talented competition, well...
Assume that there is a lot of talent out there!
Just listening to what has been forwarded will give you a good idea of what you are up against
How I see it...
2 cents
Cass
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ResonantTone » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:46 pm

I'm with Cass on this one... it also opens the door to people getting up in arms about forward to submission ratios, making it easier to jump on the mental bandwagon of "it's the screener's fault" vs "how can I improve my music". The former is harmful on multiple levels imo.

Andrew

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:24 pm

The number of submissions per each listing is fairly irrelevant.... what matters most is if you got a forward, or if you didn't (and knowing why).

Publishing the number of submissions would just open the floodgates for complaints. "What? There were 357 submissions and only 2 got forwarded?!?! What a scam!!"

Either the music works, or it doesn't. How many unsuitable tracks were submitted is pretty meaningless.

~~Matt

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:04 pm

Hey Tom, you can always see the number of forwards for each listing here: http://blog.taxi.com/forward/

It's the actual amount of submissions overall that isn't published. And, I think, for good reason.

~~Matt

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:13 am

CTWF wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:54 pm
P.S.: There was that guy with the 400 forwards and 0 contracts in drones. Had he had such stats, maybe he would have moved on towards other genres if he had seen that he regularly was 1 of 200 forwards? Just a hypothesis... :)
Did he really need stats to move on to other genres? He should have been doing other things as well as drone cues.

Tell him to shoot me a PM. I may be able to help him out.

jdkotaska
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jdkotaska » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:20 am

In order to shed a little light on this for people, here's my take. I learned from TAXI TV that the forward rate from listing to listing varies widely based on the quality and difficulty levels of the requests, anywhere from 0% to 100% of the tracks can get forwarded. That said, overall, across all listings, the average forward rate is roughly 10% (+/-10% :lol:).

So, as a general rule, if a listing seems like it would be easy for you to successfully complete, assume that others see it that way, too, and that you'll have plenty of competition.