Thomas Newmanish

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

shwnklly
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Thomas Newmanish

Post by shwnklly » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:44 am

Hey everybody,I decided I'd try something a little different for my next submission and take a crack at this listing:NEW LISTING -- LIGHT ORCHESTRAL/PERCUSSION SCORES a la the compositions of Thomas Newman are needed by an established and high profile LA-based Music Library. Great, authentic instrumental sounds and performances are essential. The overall approach should be light and playful, if somewhat suspenseful as an undertone, with the sonic emphasis placed on the percussive rhythms and tones. What do you think? Am I close?http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... true-Shawn

llama
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Thomas Newmanish

Post by llama » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:14 am

Hey Shawn,Very nice. It has that "six feet under" vibe which seems like the listing is wanting since it mentions percussive rhythms and tones etc. Thomas Newman writes in such a variety of styles it's good the listing kind of nailed down the zone to concentrate on. I don't have any ideas for you to make it better since to my ears it is pretty darn good and definitely a contender for this listing. I just wanted to give encouragement. I have this listing on my to do list, but right now I'm in David Holmes land. Good luck with this.Derek

shwnklly
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by shwnklly » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:07 am

Quote:Hey Shawn,Very nice. It has that "six feet under" vibe which seems like the listing is wanting since it mentions percussive rhythms and tones etc. Thomas Newman writes in such a variety of styles it's good the listing kind of nailed down the zone to concentrate on. I don't have any ideas for you to make it better since to my ears it is pretty darn good and definitely a contender for this listing. I just wanted to give encouragement. I have this listing on my to do list, but right now I'm in David Holmes land. Good luck with this.DerekThanks for the encouragement Derek. Sometimes what I perceive as "right on" is way off base so it's nice to get positive feedback from a fellow Taxi member. Thanks again and good luck with the David Holmes listing!-Shawn

steini
Impressive
Impressive

Post by steini » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:43 am

I like your stuff, what process are you using, straight to sequencer or you write up something in notation program?

shwnklly
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by shwnklly » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:02 pm

Quote:I like your stuff, what process are you using, straight to sequencer or you write up something in notation program?Thanks! Right now I'm writing straight to sequencer, but I hope to write for a live orchestra some day. -Shawn

crs7string
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by crs7string » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Shawn,Very cool track.Only one observation. You get a great groove going and then, rhythmically everything stops with sustained string part. It feels like something could continue some sort of rhythmic pattern, even if it was the piano, marimba, or celeste. I like how the drums and percussion drop out , but the track loses its momentum. That may throw a music supervisor who otherwise loves the trackGreat mix, everything is very clear and well placed in the audio field.Chuck
http://www.TAXI.com/crs7string

"Don't give me time, give me a deadline". Duke Ellington

geo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by geo » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:48 pm

Not familar with the "ala" but I like this.... I like the when the rhytmn drops out for the string part and then comes back it.. personal preference there I guess.... nice steroe spread on my spanking new monitors... good job, I like your stuff a lot... Geo

shwnklly
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by shwnklly » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:09 pm

Quote:Shawn,Very cool track.Only one observation. You get a great groove going and then, rhythmically everything stops with sustained string part. It feels like something could continue some sort of rhythmic pattern, even if it was the piano, marimba, or celeste. I like how the drums and percussion drop out , but the track loses its momentum. That may throw a music supervisor who otherwise loves the trackGreat mix, everything is very clear and well placed in the audio field.Chuck I agree Chuck. I wasn't sure what was missing during that string segway, but I think you hit the nail on the head. I'll see what I can come up with to keep the momentum going. Thanks again Chuck!-Shawn

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:16 pm

Shawn,I think you've captured the Newman/American Beauty vibe well on this piece. Here's an idea. Don't bring the high drums (the drums playing the tabla-ish pattern) in until after the string break. The thing about TN that is so great is that he is a great dramatist. He is able to suck you in and really color the emotion of the scene and give you only what you need to experience it. In your piece, you give us just one thing too much at the beginning and it makes it feel like the piece doesn't take us on enough of an emotional journey. If you held the high/fast drums back, we would be on the edge of our seat and those drums would be the payoff we were waiting for.Just an opinion from an avowed Newman-head.Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

shwnklly
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by shwnklly » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:27 am

Quote:Shawn,I think you've captured the Newman/American Beauty vibe well on this piece. Here's an idea. Don't bring the high drums (the drums playing the tabla-ish pattern) in until after the string break. The thing about TN that is so great is that he is a great dramatist. He is able to suck you in and really color the emotion of the scene and give you only what you need to experience it. In your piece, you give us just one thing too much at the beginning and it makes it feel like the piece doesn't take us on enough of an emotional journey. If you held the high/fast drums back, we would be on the edge of our seat and those drums would be the payoff we were waiting for.Just an opinion from an avowed Newman-head.MazzGood idea. I'll give it a shot! Thanks Mazz!-Shawn