Three best things I learned at the Rally

From the desk of Michael Laskow.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Three best things I learned at the Rally

Post by mojobone » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:37 pm

Nov 16, 2008, 11:13am, aubreyz wrote:This was my second rally. Though not as much of an emotional kick as the last one, it was even better practically. It's like the first rally was my first roller coaster ride where the excitement was overwhelming. The second ride you know more what to expect and can appreciate being able to see all the skyscrapers as the roller coaster goes up and down.Mazz's point is dead on. It's all about relationships. But I would also like to add one relationship that we often ignore-- the relationship with our own music. Last rally, my focus was just getting my stuff into the right hands. "If it can just be heard then somebody will jump all over this". But I didn't have the right relationship with my music yet. Still don't, but am much closer to getting there.The best analogy I can think of to explain what I'm talking about with a relationship with my music is a parenting analogy. When a child is born, the magic is overwhelming. Much like writing a song. "I did this! What a miracle." It doesn't matter that the little bundle of joy smells like excrement at times, drools and spits up-- but "Isn't she cute!". As the child grows, you want to give her all she wants, but have to balance that with discipline. I'm sure you've seen the soccer parents whose kids obviously haven't practiced the game very much, but the parents blame everything on the refs, coaches or other kids. How many of us would take our very bright and promising middle school student and try to enroll them in college? Yet we will take a mediocre song or recording and try to put it in the hands of a major label executive-- because we don't have a healthy relationship with our own music.Last year, I listened to the panels where they played member's random CDs, but I was soooo eager to possibly win that lotto that I more imagined how it would be to be hearing my song than really listening. Yeah, I got some good info, but not as much as this year.This year, I knew how extreme the odds were to get played and spent less anticipation time and more real listening time. I heard some really good stuff that got some mild praise, but little more. There were a few flashes of brilliance and you could see the panels light up. It hit me. They hear really good all the time-- and can't really do anything with that. Yet, there's not that much "brilliance" out there, and that stops them in their tracks.So as a loving parent, I examined my kid's (songs) potential in that light. There's some really good kids there... but if I stop blaming the refs, coaches, and those privileged kids who don't really deserve that spot on the team, and just look at where my kid's are right now--- they need some work to be brilliant.That's what I got mostly from this rally. The bar is actually higher than I thought, but I am also closer than it seems. Taxi and the rally have given me the kind of industry relationships that I always said were all I needed. Well, now I know that there's more to it. The stuff has to be brilliant before those relationships really mean anything.So in summary here's my top three rally lessons:1. Getting to know someone is more important than getting them your CD.2. My stuff still needs some work, but it's not rocket science. The industry is yelling and screaming about what they are looking for, if we will just listen.3. It's all in my hands. The tools are there. The relationships and opportunities are there. The question is, am I to work hard enough to get that "lucky".Yes I am. One great song means more than a dozen really good ones. That's my post rally objective. Take it one great song at a time!AubWow.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

erandall
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by erandall » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:17 am

This was my first rally and I absolutely learned a lot, although I was intimidated by the huge number of people I didn't know! If I go again, hopefully I'll recognize more faces. Anyway, I gave out very few CDs because I realized quickly that for me it was not about self-promotion but more about self-awareness. So, the three things I learned:1. Figure out who you are2. Figure out what you want3. Go for it!Kind of basic, but not as easy as it sounds. I'm relatively new at this.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:39 am

Nov 17, 2008, 5:17am, erandall wrote:This was my first rally and I absolutely learned a lot, although I was intimidated by the huge number of people I didn't know! If I go again, hopefully I'll recognize more faces. Anyway, I gave out very few CDs because I realized quickly that for me it was not about self-promotion but more about self-awareness. So, the three things I learned:1. Figure out who you are2. Figure out what you want3. Go for it!Kind of basic, but not as easy as it sounds. I'm relatively new at this. Next time (if you wish), you'll be going with a "Dot" on your badge, and you'll have a whole host of people you know from this forum welcome aboard!
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

twilsbach
Impressive
Impressive

Post by twilsbach » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:41 am

This was my third rally.I wasn't as organized as I have been in years' previous, but I wanted to go just to get that kick in the ass of inspiration and drive that the rally always provides. Definitely got that, but this year I didn't come away with nearly as many pages of notes, and didn't have the succint a-ha moments that I had the first two years.After a week though its starting to sink in and I feel like I have the beginnings of a deeper understanding of where my songs are at, and where they need to be relative to the current market.I have a new found clarity on just how important melody is in writing for the radio.As a symptom/result I've realized that I focus on production elements WAY to early in the process and need to live in simply vocal/guitar or vocal/piano mode for longer. Do more work there before moving on and working up the songs.Its been said before in other threads, but I'll say it again here because its very true. This year was all about meeting and getting to know the people here on the forum better. That was another big positive take away. I feel like I've got a few new friends, and I really dig that.

kevinmathie
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by kevinmathie » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:35 am

Yeah, I know.... the rally's been over for more than a week now, and I'm just now getting to the board to talk about the 3 best things I learned at the Rally. Whew! Life can be busy sometimes!Anywooo, Ted asked me at the rally what the 3 best things I learned were, and I gave him an answer, but my answer has changed now that I've had a week to reflect. At the time, I told him about 3 things that struck me from several of the very informative classes. But, now that I've had a chance to reflect on the rally, I have 3 different things that are really sticking with me -- not to diminish anything I learned in those classes.[1] Good isn't good enough. Only your "great" music is useful to those licensing your music. And "great" is defined as a combination of fantastic music and fantastic production. Both are equally important. Gone are the days when you can make a living writing notes on a piece of paper, and letting someone else take care of the production. Today's composers/songwriters have to be equally good at composing, producing, and engineering. You can certainly hire a lot of that stuff out, but that also impacts your bottom line, which brings me to...[2] Run your composing business like a business. Develop relationships and satisfy your customers -- turn your stuff in on time, keep the quality of your work high, keep current on the latest "sound" that your clients are buying, keep as current as you can with the new software and gear so that you stay competitive, etc. Own your own publishing company for your music that is being licensed non-exclusively, and learn how to run your publishing company professionally.[3] Taxi "dots" are just as cool in person as they are here on the forum! I really, really enjoyed talking to everyone. I loved visiting with everyone at the dinner on the last night. My one big regret: As cool as the Drivers Ed classes were, I wish I had skipped a couple of them and spent a little more time hanging out with the Dots that were often gathered in the lobby.Thanks, Michael for a great rally! And, thanks for having the type of A&R company that teaches us how to reach the bar that is set so high in this industry. Most companies like yours would have rejected the vast majority of us long ago, rather than teach us how to reach the bar and be competitive in the industry. Thank you so much for giving us that training.And now that I'm inside the gate, could you please close it, so that I don't have to worry about more competition raising the bar even higher?

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:09 am

In no particular order...We're Business OwnersMakes writing music a little more interesting when put in that perspective.All The "Greats" Are Truly HumbleFrom Lamont Dozier to Hans Zimmer (at another conference)... these guys are truly humble and appreciative of everything that's happened to them. Contrast the forum people that appear now and then, the ones nobody has ever heard of, the ones that have no credits, etc, who act as if the world owes them everything. I choose to try to be like Lamont and Hans. "Casting" vs "Pitching"For submission purposes think about how actors do it (trying out for roles). They "pitch" themselves generally to potential agents, showing (hopefully) a broad range of success and skills. To get a new role, they "cast" themselves into the role. If they're trying out for the lead role in "Rainman", they become an autistic savant and play that role to the best of their ability. They don't say "Oh man... you're cramping my creativity by keeping me in that box" and then proceed to do their bread and butter, a swashbuckling superhero, then complaining because they didn't get the part. By comparison, we "cast" ourselves musically when we submit to listintings. If they're not the right listing, fine. But we have to "cast" ourselves precisely if the part is right for us and we maybe have to do our homework to find out all we can about that "role", to give ourselves the best chance of landing that role (i.e. getting the deal).

partyofone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by partyofone » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:33 am

1. Importance of re-writing.2. Contrast, contrast, contrast3. It's all about the vibe!!! (Rob Chiaelli)

girasoledonna
Impressive
Impressive

Post by girasoledonna » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:47 pm

1) I am braver than I realized. 2) You can have all the talent in the world, but if you don't put yourself in the heart of the industry and make connections, you aren't going to get anywhere. 3) When you let go of fear, miracles begin to happen.

adrienne
Impressive
Impressive

Post by adrienne » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:03 am

Nov 23, 2008, 7:47pm, girasoledonna wrote:1) I am braver than I realized. 2) You can have all the talent in the world, but if you don't put yourself in the heart of the industry and make connections, you aren't going to get anywhere. 3) When you let go of fear, miracles begin to happen. Great lessons! I hope you're right!

weapon
Impressive
Impressive

Post by weapon » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:11 am

Nov 18, 2008, 11:09am, davewalton wrote:All The "Greats" Are Truly Humble...Yep...that's me...humble pie...LOL!!!