Three best things I learned at the Rally

From the desk of Michael Laskow.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

1cecastlegoddess

Re: Three best things I learned at the Rally

Post by 1cecastlegoddess » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:46 pm

Hi, All.1. Analyze and study songs within a genre, getting to know the genre inside and out and then write according to it's characteristics. Even if it sounds good to you, if it is not fitting the genre change it until it does.2. Keep melodies simple and repeat the lines, while keeping chord changes only as complex as necessary.3. When a song you've just written is your best work it becomes the minimum standard for your subsequent songs until a better one is finished.ice

celeste
Active
Active

Post by celeste » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:48 am

So if we go to the Rally, we will see naked cowboys? I want pictures before deciding if it is worth the trip.

wolfgang

Post by wolfgang » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:31 am

Hello Forum dudes and dudettes. This is my first forum post and so my list goes as follows:1. use the forum2. I need to push myself to be better at writing, recording, networking, etc... I have a tendency to think I am better than I am. I remember as a 5 year old in kindergarten thinking that my teacher was wrong to put me in the middle reading group. I was sure that I should be in the top reading group--stupid teacher didn't know what she was doing!3. Film/TV is where I will build my retirementI look forward to getting to know as many of you as I can here on the forum. Next year I'm going to try and buy drinks for as many people as I can (another thing I learned at the rally)
The time is now

mfowler
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mfowler » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:34 am

Kind of focusing on some of the panels attended.1. Opinions are so subjective.. quite often the panelists were split on what they liked.. so get lots of them and know where you music may fit.2. They all pretty much agreed when they heard a badly recorded or sung song.3. Keep intros appropriately short and get to the good stuff fast, especially for film/tv music.Marlin

suzdoyle
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by suzdoyle » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:41 pm

mazz wrote:Here's the three best things I learned at the Road Rally 2008:1. This is a relationship business.2. This is a relationship business.3. This is a relationship business.I'm not trying to be flip or diminish anything else anyone else has learned, but, for me this year, it finally sunk in at a deeper level. I've heard this for years and I'm finally starting to "get it". TAXI can open the doors and provide (as Chuck says) a favorable introduction, but after that, it's up to me to develop and nourish those relationships.Always learning!!Mazz
YES! I was so pleased to feel how authentic, loving, talented and generous everyone was at the Taxi Rally. This is truly a special place, for which I am deeply grateful!
Suz

carsonandtesshenley

Post by carsonandtesshenley » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:44 am

I am new to TAXI and going to my first Rally this Nov. I am looking for advice on what EXACTLY to bring (besides contact info, what do the CDs I bring contain? one song, song snippets, full songs, many songs). I appreciate any advice from "the pros"! Smile. Tess Henley

christophersclaybo
Impressive
Impressive

Post by christophersclaybo » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:58 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfcLsMkIUR8

Velvet Acid Christ, Ministry, the Sex Pistols... NONE OF THEM talk about the shit THIS songs sings about!!!!

Influences: Ghostbusters cartoon, 1990... Pet Shop Boys "West End Girls"... Velvet Acid Christ "Phucking Phreak"... Ministry "So What?"

Lyrics are VERY disturbing, so listener BEWARE!!! (Oh, and I don't use even ONE SINGLE SWEAR WORD, not even the word "damn", which Will SMith didn't consider to be a curse word the year at the Grammy's when he said he didn't have to curse in his songs to sell records!)