Three best things I learned at the Rally

Post by jay10music » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:18 am

post em up!

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Three best things I learned at the Rally

Post by sgs4u » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:28 am

How important Jimi is.That I am pathetically unable to walk up to someone I don't know, and hand them a CD, when they're surrounded by a swarm of other people like me.That my progress is uniquely my own, and I'm doing fabulously.

joshuaarmstrong

Post by joshuaarmstrong » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:46 am

"Three Best Things I learned at the Rally"1. Co-write: Don't be afraid to share songwriting credits with another writer if it takes the song to a new level. 100% of $0 is nothing, but 20% of a hit is a lot of money. 2. When submitting songs to taxi listings make sure they are in appropriate genre. I heard that about 80% of submissions are not in the correct style category. Taxi isn't going to forward songs that are not what the listing is asking for; regardless of the song quality. 3. Utilize the Taxi forums.

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:15 pm

Hey, Josh. Welcome to the boards. They ARE, without question, one of the very BEST (free) tools available to TAXI members.Even though I was eventually forgiven for NOT doing this, it's always a good idea to start a thread here (or add to an existing one somewhere that holds your interest) and tell "us" a bit about yourself, your music, your aims, your favorite color, NFL team, band, influence...Basically, the best way to get the most out of these forums is to be willing to talk on them regularly and openly. And don't be afraid of friendly, supportive criticism (...but be VERY afraid of steve a gilbert Nah. He's a pushover.)Welcome.The only reason I haven't posted my reply here this time is 'cause I'm still trying to narrow it down to only three.Ted
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:18 pm

The top three things I learned at the Rally:1. The impossible dream is far from impossible. - This was my first opportunity to be around and hear so many comments from industry movers and shakers. There were so many common threads, so many basic rules of the road that were reinforced. There is a way to break into this industry no matter what your niche’. It’s not impossible. There were over 2,400 people with enough commitment to pay the Taxi fee and travel expense to get there, however I only saw a handful of “shining lights” who had done the hard work, knew the game and were impeccably prepared. If you are observant and listening, the information is all there about how to succeed. 2. Good is never good enough.- Nobody is looking for good songs, good singers, good lyrics. In order to really succeed, you have to project greatness in every aspect of your product. From your one on one demeanor to what your CD looks like greatness will open doors. I heard two extremes from most of those trying to make an impression, either a litany of excuses or an onslaught of me, me, me undocumented bragging. But I also saw the expression of the A&R rep change when Liam Kelley unassumingly mentioned his multiple major label forwards. I bet he gets listened to. The reason the bar is so high for listings is the same reason we don’t need it any other way. Good is a CD in a box. Great gets you noticed. 3. It’s all about relationship.- The vast majority are asking the industry “what can you do for me.” Those who have a real chance for success are tangibly providing an appealing answer to this question: “What can I do for you?” I learned as much what NOT to do as the appropriate thing to do. At the risk of sounding like an NRA member, most were there with a shotgun just trying to hit anything with a little pellet. I had googled every mentor, every panelist – I knew who was who. Though I had 60 shotgun shell CD’s ready, there were a few sniper shots I hoped to make. Once there I stalked. I listened. I planned. I looked for an opening and much to my surprise I was able to make half a dozen on target sniper shots. One case in point, at one mentor lunch many of the questions were differing versions of “what can you do for me?”, and honestly so were some of mine. One mentor I was very interested in mentioned he had a website. I said, Yes I know—I’ve been there. He was almost startled and looked at me for a second. Later, the unassuming stalker that I had become strategically positioned myself to “run into him” in the lobby. He remembered me, we had a quick chat, but I didn’t ask him for anything. I simply told him that I appreciated his patience and willingness to answer questions and that I’ll shoot him an email later. And guess what? There’s much more of a chance that he’ll remember me because of the facetime than the chance my CD might be noticed among his tote bag of shotgun shells. It’s all about relationship, and the rally for me was like one of the escalator walking tracks at the airport. So many just put their bags down and enjoy the view. But if you really want to get somewhere in the most expedient way, use that walking track to double your running speed to the relationship gate!Speaking of relationship, I can’t fail to mention how important it was to actually meet and talk with Michael Laskow. What an incredible guy. I could go on and on and sound like a big brown noser, but that time alone would have been well worth the trip. I was pretty sure I knew he had the member’s best interest at heart. Now I have no doubt that the trust I placed in him and this company that so perfectly reflects his vision was and is well placed. Pass the Koolaid. I know what’s in it Aub

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:32 pm

Aub, you are amazing. And spot on with every word you posted.Thanks, buddy.Ted
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

twilsbach
Impressive
Impressive

Post by twilsbach » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:57 pm

1)I'll second the co-writing thing. I remember writing it down last year, and then every time I thought about it throughout the year it scared the hell out of me. I don't know how to co-write with someone, I've never done it, don't know what's expected etc.Listening to Kara D. talk about it and hearing her say that she still goes into some co-writing situations feeling like she's going to throw up made me realize that they're no different from me. (Except for the larger BMI royalty checks).2)He said it last year, and again this year, and I think its something to remember. Marshall Altman explains the difference between OK songs, Good songs and Great songs as the difference between the floor (an OK song), the ceiling (a good song) and the sun (a great song).3) There are profressional staff writers, and writers who still write 15 blah songs for every good one, and 150 good ones for every great one.4)There were a lot of pretty girls in attendance.

ggalen
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ggalen » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:25 pm

>>>There are profressional staff writers, and writers who still write 15 blah songs for every good one, and 150 good ones for every great one.Did you mean the professional staff writers have that kind of percentage? Or that the professional staff writers don't have that kind of percentage?

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:42 pm

Quote:4)There were a lot of pretty girls in attendance.

jamienelson

Post by jamienelson » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:03 pm

Know your Genre and how to describe your music quickly.