THREE more attempting to QUIT SMOKING!!!!!

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: GIVE ME A CIGARETTE!! AAAaaugh!!!............

Post by hummingbird » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:47 pm

Ted - here's the best inspiration I can offer you: you have a great voice. Your do-wop stuff was fab. lighting up a cigarette is the same as smashing your guitar. don't make sense. love yourself more. and I know you know that. I'm in your corner, cheering you on. You can do it. When you feel the need to take a drag.... take a deep, conscious breath and give thanks for the air you breathe, that gives you life and brings you creativity, and allows you to participate in the act of making music. Then go write another song hugsVikki
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

squids
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by squids » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:20 pm

Oh, the other suggestion I had was something I learned at a quit smoking seminar at a local hospital........Get yourself a sandwich baggie and fill it with a full ashtray then close it up. Every single time you want a smoke, open the baggie and take a long whiff. Since you've been without for three days, I'm sure you'll appreciate how much like burnt ashes it smells. Which is what you'd smell like if you started again, what you'd taste like if you started again and god knows, what it does to our looks doesn't help either. You're on your side. You can do it.

vicky
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by vicky » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:22 pm

Quote:take a deep, conscious breath and give thanks for the air you breathethat's a cool thought Vikki.....I just keep thinking "big breaths"Ted start walking or exercising as soon as you can... helps with feeling better....vtbp

timbehrens
Impressive
Impressive

Post by timbehrens » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:52 pm

Hang in there, Ted. It's all mind over matter. I quit after being a heavy smoker for about seven years. I promise you that if you can hang in there, you'll be saying at some point in the not-so-distant future that it was the best thing you ever did for yourself. Keep reminding yourself that your serious, that time will pass (even when it's uncomfortable time), and it will soon all be a memory.I know different things work for different people, but it is about shifting your mentality. At some point, stop counting the hours, the days, and just say that you've quit. It doesn't really matter how long it's been because you're not going back and this is your new beginning. Congrats to you.

hookstownbrown
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by hookstownbrown » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:24 pm

Here's a bit of info that might give you a bit of an edge, Ted.The intense urge to smoke a cig usually lasts for only about six seconds. When that urge consumes you -- like I know it does -- realize that you have to fight like a badger for less than ten seconds. The more you fight it and win, the less often you have to fight it. When it hits you, fight back for a few seconds and count on the fact that the urge is losing its power.It's a fact, bud.

steveha2865
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by steveha2865 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:05 am

Hypnosis worked immediately for me. Two visits to a doctor who used hypnosis cured me thirty years ago. I haven't smoked since. Best of luck to you, it's a tough battle.
Jazz guy (writer/player).

drew
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by drew » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:14 am

Ted, I was a heavy smoker for years, and spent a lot of time driving in my car, that was the worst for me.Then I discovered that nibbling sunflower seeds would burn a lot of the nervous energy. I always said I couldn't have quit without them. All that salt is no better than a bunch of sugar snacks but it was more satisfying than candy for me.I called it my "squirrel phase", and it was much easier to break the salt habit.Good luck and hang in there.
It's hard to make a comeback when you haven't been anywhere

linziellen
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by linziellen » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:07 am

...so this deep breathing! I once read something about smoking (apart from the obvious nicotine addiction), also having a lot to do with those deep breaths you are taking with each drag. Deep breathing exercises help to calm the old nerves and maybe with time you will appreciate the benefits of doing this without those nasty toxins And don't you think it's about time you changed the title of this thread...huh, huh!!!

kg
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by kg » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:50 am

Hi Ted! I'm so proud of you for taking that step. Get a hefty sugar-free gum habit going on until you no longer feel the need to occupy your mouth. Keep doing what the others have said and occupy your hands and mind with something else as soon as you get the urge. Re-train your mind to think differently by creating new habits like Aub did. It won't take long. You only have a couple weeks until the new habits kick in, so hang tough. Something else that works for people with *expensive* addictions is to keep a jar that you put $ in every time you avoid the old habit. I don't know how much it cost you each day, but if you add a little something to the jar each time you don't smoke, you'll start to identify that habit with saving money and an opportunity to reward yourself with all that you saved. Think of it as your road rally fund...I'm sure that will help Ok I'm rambling again. Big ((HUGS))! So proud of you.K

ragani
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ragani » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:19 am

Yeah, it would be fun to see how much money is in that jar by the next Rally! Quote:And don't you think it's about time you changed the title of this thread...huh, huh!!!What about "GIVE ME SOME FRESH AIR!!!!!! AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it..." - Goethe
http://www.RaganiWorld.com - Turn the World to Love®
http://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home.php?artist=ragani