THREE more attempting to QUIT SMOKING!!!!!

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: GIVE ME A CIGARETTE!! AAAaaugh!!!............

Post by tedsingingfox » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:32 pm

OK... I'm at 125 hours without. At this particular moment, I would sell my mother into white slavery for one; but I can promise all of you (and her) that she's safe.And the time in the studio today was incredible.Thank you, thank you, thank you... talk to you tomorrow.Ted
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

milfus
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by milfus » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:45 pm

i am proud of you ted, you are inspiring me to tryto quit myself
in the time of trumpets and guitars, there was an oboe

byllsong
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by byllsong » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:30 am

Hey TedRemember, every hour that passes brings you closer to freedom and success. Hang in there.Billy
Billy

coachdebra
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by coachdebra » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Ted, I smoked for 11 years, a pack+ a day. I quit cold turkey. This was back in the eighties before the patch, etc., was available (Yes, I started as a very small child -- and it really did stunt my growth ).Here's how I did it. I set a date and told EVERYONE that I had quit. I committed to allowing myself to feel whatever I was feeling. So, when I got the urge -- I'd ask myself, "What are you avoiding? What is it you really want that this cigarette is a substitute for? How do you feel?" Sometimes, I was able to go get what I wanted. Sometimes, what I really needed to do was just cry. And I committed to letting myself just cry. The essence of addiction is avoidance -- avoiding feeling something, avoiding wanting something you've decided you won't be able to have, avoiding feeling unsure of yourself, avoiding giving yourself a break -- just because you deserve one (not because you have to have a cigarette).The trick to getting past the addiction - forever? Stop avoiding. Turn around and face it -- whatever it is. Over and over, until facing stuff becomes your new habit.By the way -- this method works for any addiction. And also, its the only thing that really does -- you can get past the physical withdrawal - but the habit was serving you in some way. Until you deal with that, you'll just exchange one addiction for another (say, like, jellybeans!). And I know -- it's hard. If it were easy, evybody be doin' it!Sending you much support,Debra

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:07 pm

OK, I'm two minutes past my 149th hour without.I can hardly believe the support and encouragement y'all have given me. Thank you SO much.As per my deal with Lindsey, I'll be changing the title of this thread tomorrow. wooHOO!Milfus, I gotta tell you, the VERY best motivation was starting this thread. When I saw all the support, I put pressure on myself not to let myself (or my TAXI buddies) down. 3 pm tomorrow afternoon makes one full week. (hint, hint, hint...)And HEY, Debra. Really enjoyed meeting you at the Rally, and truly appreciate the encouragement. Great news is, I even still have about half a bowl of untouched jellybeans. And BTW, I've really enjoyed the occasional emails I've gotten from you. They have helped me more than I actually expected them to, truth be told. One of the very best (for me) was the idea of spending 15 minutes per day cleaning the apartment. I never feel overwhelmed by it all, and my place is consistently habitable like never before. Eager to alter the title of this thread, I'll check in with everybody tomorrow.wooHOO!Ted
The truest of tears
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:25 pm

ps. Am home after three days in the studio. Am pleased BEYOND words with the results. Am eager to post 'em up for y'all. Within the next day or so, I promise.Ted
The truest of tears
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

coachdebra
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by coachdebra » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:37 am

And BTW, I've really enjoyed the occasional emails I've gotten from you. They have helped me more than I actually expected them to, truth be told. One of the very best (for me) was the idea of spending 15 minutes per day cleaning the apartment. I never feel overwhelmed by it all, and my place is consistently habitable like never before. Hey, Ted - you don't know what it means to me when I hear that someone got value from my little Artist's EDGE Newsletter! Makin' me blush like a schoolgirl. Debra

linziellen
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by linziellen » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:59 am

COUNTING DOWN TED!!!You're doing so well, keep it up and we can start to think about the next title change...and the next...lol! Before long you wont need this thread anymore, you'll be free sailing!!!Pause a moment and think about how good you're no doubt feeling right now and hold that thought...I'd say that's another pat on the back

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: (Do NOT) GIVE ME ANOTHER CIGARETTE!!!

Post by tedsingingfox » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:16 pm

So, does this title work for you, Lindsey? I am now 2 hours past my first full week without smoking. So, I think it's OK now for me to count in days, rather than in hours.I feel like giving a big wooHOO!!!I honestly believe I wouldn't have been able to get through this without y'all's support. Thank you SO much.Ted
The truest of tears
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

linziellen
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: (Do NOT) GIVE ME ANOTHER CIGARETTE!!!

Post by linziellen » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:30 pm

x 10I have an ear to ear smile for ya!I was about to turn in but my husband just got called out to a fire, so I'm drinking a "help me sleep tea" and watching something to help me wind down after writing my last crazy lyric and I think might just help you carry on... http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=z5mRm5Yug ... atulations Ted!!!