THREE more attempting to QUIT SMOKING!!!!!

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: (Do NOT) GIVE ME ANOTHER CIGARETTE!!!

Post by tedsingingfox » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:23 pm

So, today is my 8th day without. I promised I'd keep checking in with y'all until I get past my first month. Even if I'm the one and only person who reads this thread... I'm GOING to make it.Ted
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:39 pm

Quote:So, today is my 8th day without. I promised I'd keep checking in with y'all until I get past my first month. Even if I'm the one and only person who reads this thread... I'm GOING to make it.TedGood For You Ted!! First week is the worst, it will get a little easier and easier every day now...

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:33 pm

Quote:Quote:So, today is my 8th day without. I promised I'd keep checking in with y'all until I get past my first month. Even if I'm the one and only person who reads this thread... I'm GOING to make it.TedGood For You Ted!! First week is the worst, it will get a little easier and easier every day now...Thanks, my friend.
The truest of tears
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

byllsong
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by byllsong » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:47 pm

Hey TedGood job so far. Congrats...and not to worry about being the only one who reads this thread, I'm sure there are others out there going through the same thing who check in to see how you're doing. See how many views you have. We're all rootin' for ya!Billy
Billy

milfus
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by milfus » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:56 pm

*applause*you are doin great man
in the time of trumpets and guitars, there was an oboe

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:38 pm

Hey Ted! Keep it going, man --- you can do it!I quit drinking over a year ago, and I'm so glad I did. I've never been a (cigarette) smoker, but I can really relate to how hard it is to change your lifestyle. For me, the first 4-5 days were tough, but I joined a weekly support group, and still go every week. It's really helped a lot. All kinds of people have come through this group who have needed support --- women on meth; a couple guys on vicodin; a few drinkers (even a "Church Lady" who REALLY looks like the Dana Carvey character); and a new lady today: Her addiction is a bit, er, different. It's called "Trichotillomania." I've never heard of it before, but it's kind of an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder where you PULL OUT YOUR EYELASHES AND HAIR! Very bizarre. But she's gone 4 weeks in her "recovery," and is a very sharp young lady. She doesn't know WHY she does it yet, but wants it to stop, so therapy is really helping her.I second the ideas of avoiding situations where you used to smoke, and substituting positive, new activities. I exercise a lot more, do yoga and meditate, and have lost 35 pounds (I guess that comes from eliminating 1500 empty calories a day LOL!).As the Aussies say, "Good on ya, mate!"Ern

kg
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by kg » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:43 am

Go Ted!!! So proud xoxo

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:45 pm

9 days, 5 hours...so far...and still counting.What a fantastic, insane, difficult, celebratory week(+) this has been.At this exact moment, if someone were to dangle a cigarette in my face, I think I'd follow them anywhere just to get my hands on one. but that URGENT craving will have subsided by the time I hit the "post" button.Therefore, I need to hit that "post" button REALLY soon....Ted
The truest of tears
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:42 am

Hey, guys.In about an hour, I will have officially made it through 10 full days without a cigarette.But I must tell you, I got a pretty serious buzz on last night (something I haven't done since Saturday night at the Rally), and I wound up having the toughest time YET keeping away from having one.I actually even picked one up out of my friend's ashtray. If I had found a lighter on the table, I would've lit it and taken a drag. But every time I tried to find a lighter, my friend came back into the room and I would throw it back in the ashtray so as not to get caught.I can hardly believe how much of a Pavlov's dog moment that was for me. My reaching for one when I was THAT ... uhm ... feeling-no-pain was PURELY a conditioned response. I am SO grateful for his "bad" timing last night, and for my unwillingness to be caught in the act.But again, the GREAT news is that I somehow toughed it out and did NOT have one. Not even a puff. Lord, just from second-hand smoke (my friend smokes like a chimney), I probably will have another day or two of the DT's.But, as I said, I'll be checking in every day until after I've made it through my first month.So far, so good. And, honestly, if I could make it through last night without one...my chances are pretty good of pulling this off.Thanks, again, you guys.Ted
The truest of tears
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

liamkelly
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by liamkelly » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:55 am

TedI'm a bit of an expert at stopping smoking. I've done it many times. I'm not so good at the 'staying stopped' though The trigger between a beer and a cig is very strong. You'll just have to be super careful if you have a drink.Hang in there - I'm really hoping you can pull this off. If there's one thing I regret... it's smoking. Liam