Three Songs Returned

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Robertj64
Impressive
Impressive

Three Songs Returned

Post by Robertj64 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:38 pm

Hey
Last edited by Robertj64 on Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Three Songs Returned

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:15 pm

Review of first 30 seconds

Laser sound on intro = dated

Acoustic guitar ? @ 2s....got lots of room sound/reverb on it...doesn't sound real, not sure if it's meant to or not...amount of reverb also makes it sound dated

Synth pluck @ 6s - 90's sounding

Guitar @ 12s - We've now got another rhythmic pattern to contend with piling on top of the first guitar(?) sound , the synth plucks and the vocals. There's no clarity in the arrangement and no space for anything because it's all in the midrange

It gets worse when everything else comes in 24s as loads more things join in ,it sounds like someone has just had a home keyboard and mashed every button on the auto accompaniment ... There's no clarity to the production and it's all quite cheesy but there's so much stuff going on it's kinda hard to tell what's what.

Vocals sound like they have been over-processed and to me they don't sound authentic.
Robertj64 wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:38 pm
No updating on beats is necessary here. The format is ahead of its time. No one else is doing this at the moment.
Have you actually A-B referenced yours with similar material out there ?

This took me 30s to find https://youtu.be/Lby4YZx7x_k?t=156

https://youtu.be/BDUX2OmyGac?t=187

Hopefully you can hear the difference in arrange & production level

Robertj64
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Robertj64 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:03 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:15 pm
Review of first 30 seconds

Laser sound on intro = dated

Acoustic guitar ? @ 2s....got lots of room sound/reverb on it...doesn't sound real, not sure if it's meant to or not...amount of reverb also makes it sound dated

Synth pluck @ 6s - 90's sounding

Guitar @ 12s - We've now got another rhythmic pattern to contend with piling on top of the first guitar(?) sound , the synth plucks and the vocals. There's no clarity in the arrangement and no space for anything because it's all in the midrange

It gets worse when everything else comes in 24s as loads more things join in ,it sounds like someone has just had a home keyboard and mashed every button on the auto accompaniment ... There's no clarity to the production and it's all quite cheesy but there's so much stuff going on it's kinda hard to tell what's what.

Vocals sound like they have been over-processed and to me they don't sound authentic.
Robertj64 wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:38 pm
No updating on beats is necessary here. The format is ahead of its time. No one else is doing this at the moment.
Have you actually A-B referenced yours with similar material out there ?

This took me 30s to find https://youtu.be/Lby4YZx7x_k?t=156

https://youtu.be/BDUX2OmyGac?t=187

Hopefully you can hear the difference in arrange & production
Last edited by Robertj64 on Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Robertj64
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Robertj64 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:23 pm

"It gets worse when everything else comes in 24s as loads more things join in ,it sounds like someone has just had a home keyboard and mashed every button on the auto accompaniment ... There's no clarity to the production and it's all quite cheesy but there's so much stuff going on it's kinda hard to tell what's what."
Last edited by Robertj64 on Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Robertj64
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Robertj64 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:38 pm

CTWF wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:32 pm
Hey Rob

I appreciate the novelty of your approach and the songs sound generally well-produced to me and have a joyful, easy-going vibe.

I guess it all depends on the context of the listing what something is suitable for. However, recently I have listened to a radio station that only plays the most current in-demand music, I mean the kind of tracks we see as references all the time. If one of your three songs would play on that station, I think I would notice it as sticking out. One important thing are the vocals. I feel modern vocals are more upfront, less reverb, or they are very stylized/autotuned.

For instance, "Bomba Estéreo - To My Love (Tainy Remix)" has not that much reverb on the vocals, even though there is quite a bit of melodic singing. The percussion there struck me as a little more contemporary than yours. Also the EDMy elements, such as little drops, pulsing synths etc. I am obviously not at all an authority on these things, but I can hear a production difference.

All this does not mean you cannot get there, and maybe soon. Tweak the percussion more, treat the vocals differently etc., and you would possibly be in the same sonic realm for the instrumental part. However, one thing that occured to me is that maybe there is a reason for the rap - people want to have it, it suits the genre, the beat. Maybe they do not want to hear too much singing after all. Which brings me back to the problem of inventing a new genre in sync music: Who requested it?

Tom
Thanks
Last edited by Robertj64 on Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:08 pm

Robertj64 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:03 pm
If you read my post above, I GAVE a reference.
Where ? Post link...I skimmed your post again but I must be missing something
Robertj64 wrote:
The ones you gave are not POP-oriented my friend. They are dance.
They totally sound like Pop to me. They aren't EDM ..More like Pop-Trop-Reggaeton

Either way...production - arrangement - vocals - mix ..all a lot stronger than your offerings.
Robertj64 wrote:
they use synth plucks...the same I use....guess it is not so 90's after all.
Yet you display a talent for making yours sound dated
Robertj64 wrote:
Secondly, I noticed that when I posted my track on here previously (Dance With Joy), you had nothing to say but I noticed that you listened to the tracks approximately 7 times with no comment. You almost always have something to say especially if something is lacking.
Another member brought it to my attention via PM, I was on my phone at the time when they asked what I thought so I gave it a couple of listens on the cans. I gave it the benefit of waiting until I was in front of some proper studio monitors before sharing my honest opinion in private, and as there were no other replies and I didn't want to influence anyone so I was actually trying to avoid saying what I really thought but if you want me to past the private feedback I will but don't say I didn't warn you.
Robertj64 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:23 pm
I have posted this and other music in other places to get proper unsarcastic, nasty feedback. I have had nothing but positive, encouraging feedback
That's all very nice and fluffy - Are these places where they are not trying to get Film & TV placements ? If they aren't I would not pay too much attention.
Robertj64 wrote:
You may be right, Mark for all I know but I think your choice of words are uncalled for. Like you did it solely to make a point.
Well obviously it's to make a point or I wouldn't say it - If you were sat with me I'd actually be far more direct - You will struggle with music libraries if your ego can't deal with this type of feedback.
Robertj64 wrote:
You may be right, Mark for all I know but I think your choice of words are uncalled for. Like you did it solely to make a point.
Cheers and best of luck with your career.
Luck doesn't really come into it.
Learning to write-play- arrange-mix-produce - not luck
Programming a contemporary sounding beat - not luck
Choosing the right sounds for a melodic part- not luck

All of those are steps before you even submit that require zero luck, it's just a training issue.

Robertj64
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Robertj64 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:13 pm

:)
Last edited by Robertj64 on Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:22 pm

Robertj64 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:13 pm
I have to call you on this bullsh*t. Libraries are not this mean or they would develop a reputation. Constructive criticism yes...Nastiness...no. They don't crap all over their composers simply because they don't like what they hear.
No , it will just be flat out rejection, cold hard and brutal. No feedback.

Robertj64
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Robertj64 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:42 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:22 pm
Robertj64 wrote:
I have to call you on this bullsh*t. Libraries are not this mean or they would develop a reputation. Constructive criticism yes...Nastiness...no. They don't crap all over their composers simply because they don't like what they hear.
No , it will just be flat out rejection, cold hard and brutal. No feedback.
:)
Last edited by Robertj64 on Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:04 pm

Robertj64 wrote:
Well obviously it's to make a point or I wouldn't say it - If you were sat with me I'd actually be far more direct
You have to learn take these things in context.

Example : My wife refuses to let me attend the kids parents evening at school because I am too direct with the teachers. She tries to be all nice to them whereas personally I will say what I think and if it hurts their feelings it's their problem...If someone is equally direct with me, I prefer that to politically correct wishy washy BS which seems to be the way of things now - like how everyone gets a medal these days even if they come last at sports day. I just don't agree with it.

There will always be a spectrum of opinions and reactions to those opinions. Nobody is 100% right or wrong. You just have to weight the feedback as you see fit...there are some people whose opinion mean next to nothing to me , so I wouldn't weight their feedback very highly. Others who I respect highly I would give more credence to. But there no words any of could utter about my music that would bother me. Ever. It's just data, it isn't personal. It's no more upsetting than looking at a spreadsheet.

Honesty is more important to me than walking on eggshells around people.