with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Thumbs down to Templates?

Post by ResonantTone » Fri May 10, 2019 10:42 am

Hey all!

I've heard multiple times on Taxi tv and here on the forums that templates are the best way to go about cue writing, since it's a major time saver.

As much as I've tried to integrate them over the last few months, I'm pretty confident in saying that they just aren't working for me. Every time I open one up, I feel so confined, and I end up spending more time going back through and changing all the original settings/patches to find something new and creative.

I'm definitely not opposed to using them in the future if I can figure out how to avoid my current obstacles with them.. but for now, I'm just so much more inspired by a blank canvas to start. Whether or not I'm shooting myself in the foot long-term by not getting the added benefits of a production speed increase I guess is yet to be seen...

Am I the only one in this boat? :?:

Andrew

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Thumbs down to Templates?

Post by cassmcentee » Fri May 10, 2019 12:24 pm

I never start blank
Every Year I update my main template to match my current workflow
This way I have all of my VSTs already patched and assigned to individual tracks so I don't have to waste time doing new assignments each project.
Just have to set my BPM and start running!
Changing the sound patches has to happen anyways so why not have the Kontakt/Omnisphere/EZ Drums/Piano/Halion (or whatever you like to use) already setup?
I also have Mic tracks open and have starting points for my main effects Reverb/Stereo Delay/Ping Pong Delay/Step Filter/Tremelo
Also my Main Buss has Multi-Compressor/Limiter and more, which are all set to a standard starting point.
Works really well for me :D
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Fri May 10, 2019 1:35 pm

Yeah I've never used templates either, I've never found it to be that much of a hassle to just start fresh every time. But I don't do big orchestral stuff or anything like that, in fact I don't do big anything... :D

markhimley
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by markhimley » Fri May 10, 2019 2:21 pm

I used to hate the idea of templates for the same reason, however I think it just depends on how much you have set up in the template. I have a dozen or two templates now, although I really only use 2-3.

I have one template in particular that I have labeled "Starting Basics" - 99% of my sessions start with this template.

Similar to Cass - this template has some vst's loaded but no presets or patches or anything. It has several different track stacks (basically bus groups if you're not a Logic user) already set up and color coded for different instrument groups, has all my sends (reverbs, delays, parallel compression, parallel saturation, etc) set up, and all my settings the way I like (for example Logic Pro defaults to using 44.1khz so in this template I have it set to 48khz so I don't have to change it every time). Bunch of little stuff like that; it doesn't confine me musically, just takes out busy work that I'd be doing before getting started every time. Basically it doesn't matter what genre/style I'm doing, I can open this template and get writing instantly without having to set up/route stuff.

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Fri May 10, 2019 10:43 pm

markhimley wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 2:21 pm
I used to hate the idea of templates for the same reason, however I think it just depends on how much you have set up in the template. I have a dozen or two templates now, although I really only use 2-3.

I have one template in particular that I have labeled "Starting Basics" - 99% of my sessions start with this template.

Similar to Cass - this template has some vst's loaded but no presets or patches or anything. It has several different track stacks (basically bus groups if you're not a Logic user) already set up and color coded for different instrument groups, has all my sends (reverbs, delays, parallel compression, parallel saturation, etc) set up, and all my settings the way I like (for example Logic Pro defaults to using 44.1khz so in this template I have it set to 48khz so I don't have to change it every time). Bunch of little stuff like that; it doesn't confine me musically, just takes out busy work that I'd be doing before getting started every time. Basically it doesn't matter what genre/style I'm doing, I can open this template and get writing instantly without having to set up/route stuff.
^^^^ this.

don't create VSTs and choose patches unless they are things you use 100% of the time. Like maybe you do virtual orchestration and there are 30 standard string patches you use. In that case load 'em up. You can always just delete tracks that you don't need for a certain genre. If I am doing a pop thing and can't imagine using strings I just delete all that stuff, and my project is instantly way smaller, and way less CPU intensive.

The most time saving comes from having the project architecture set up just as Mark said. Especially things like defaulting the project to 48khz, and setting up standard bussing options for reverb. You can still change the reverb plugin on the Aux for vibe or for a different sound, but at least you don't have to start at the start every time.

You can also setup your project with things you need to add for every project - like a fade out on the master track at 2+ minutes. If you know your DAW well you can move that around much more quickly than redrawing it from scratch every time. If you like having SMPTE time and bars / beats displayed you can have all that preset.

Like EO said th0ugh - its not necessary, especially if you record a lot of stuff live, or don't use Slate Virtual console or Waves NLS on every track. There is just a lot less to bother with in those cases. If that's your thing, maybe you don't need a template.

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ResonantTone » Sat May 11, 2019 5:49 am

These are great thoughts! I think I may have been focusing less on the architecture and more on the sounds.. which was a mistake. Setting things up like busses/fix sends/sub mixes totally makes sense.

Thanks guys!

Andrew

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Sat May 11, 2019 8:50 am

Thumbs UP to templates!!!

I just counted.... I have 42 templates..

Many of my templates have 70 to over 100 tracks.
It would take FOREVER to create new tracks from scratch...

If I am going to write a Big Orchestral Action track..... use the Big Orchestral Action template.
Is it going to be a Pulsing Tension track...… use the Pulsing Tension template.
If it's a Hard Rock track...… Hard Rock template.
If I'm going to write a Country Hit...….. well... who am I kidding.... that ain't gonna happen!

And YES..I would say every time....they get changed and many tracks get added or deleted.
But it is SO MUCH EASIER to have a bunch of things ready to go...

And like Andy said...they really help with the reverb sends... busses... etc.

My 70-100 cents,
Tim

teleblaster
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by teleblaster » Sat May 11, 2019 5:57 pm

I rarely start blank slate. I use templates for routing and pre-loading plugins. I have groups of tracks pre-configured that I can import into any project; super nice for things like multi-out'ing a drum sampler, or a VI like stylus RMX. Another thing I'll do is make a copy of an entire project folder that's similar in genre and instrumentation to what I want to work on next; like when I'm working on a series of cues. After copying and re-naming the folder and project filename, I'll open it and delete all the media. It's rare that the 'template' I just created stays intact, but it's almost always a good starting point.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun May 12, 2019 11:49 am

Blank Slates work better for me...the template is my head

Unless it's a bunch of similar tracks all done consecutively.... then I might just zero the project and do the next one with the same set up

jaywilliams
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jaywilliams » Sun May 12, 2019 2:42 pm

setting up "templates" was one of my first action items after attending Rally last year.

mine are so simple you probably wouldn't call them templates - I have one for production and one for mastering - super simple, with the basic plugins pre-loaded (eq, compression, reverb bus) - and channel rack set up with drum/percussion tracks and my preferred simple synth.

it doesn't seem like much, but when you write say 100 tracks in a year, and save 10 minutes per track (which Im sure the templates do that much for me, at least) - well, do the math, over a year it adds up to quite a few hours!

Jay :)
// keep it groovy and make great music :) - Jay

J.W. Hagarty, Producer
Jay Williams Productions
Spotify: bit.ly/spotifyjay
Web: jaywilliamsproductions.com
Songtradr: jay.williams.productions
SoundCloud: jay-williams-productions