Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

BobGunnerfeldt
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Time for a change?

Post by BobGunnerfeldt » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:18 am

JohnDroese wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:49 pm
Hi Bob, some nice work thereI only listened to a few cues but a couple things jumped out at me first your reverb is very unappealing doesn't sound like a real space which leads to my second observation it doesn't feel like all your instruments are in the same room if that makes sense..... Do you use compression on the master bus? as far as structure goes here is a good exercise ask yourself why? why would I listen to this track if I feel exactly the same after I hear it? How can this track not just engage me but take me somewhere so when its over I feel different?
Your VI's are on point sans the reverb which I personally don't like..... so its not that. Your playing is up to par so its not that... Its the composition structure.....use the most current aggressive high profile tracks you can find as reference tracks.... Find one that is in a current tv show say a tension cue....load it into your DAW now make an exact copy of that track as close as you can using the sounds and tools you have.... note for note....sound for sound.... This will give you a new understanding of what it takes..... Once you are done .... open a new session and load that same song int your DAW and make an original track using that as a reference.... don't copy it just follow the structure to a T is there a build? a tempo change? when are new elements introduced? are they using any transitions? How does it end? That's just my two cents

Best of luck
John
Thank you, John. This most helpful. Looks like I have a lot of work in my future.

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradGray » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:37 am

BobGunnerfeldt wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:01 am
After several years of little success, I am beginning to think it may be time for me to change direction.
My submissions often receive positive comments but consistently fall short of the mark.
I would very much appreciate any suggestions.
Examples of my music can be found at:

https://www.bobgunnerfeldtmusic.com/

Thank you for taking the time to help.
Hey Bob,

There's been some good feedback already on this post so far, and you have some good work there. The only thing I'll add to the conversation is a motto that used to hang in my dojo, when I was studying Shoin Ryu Karate. It was, "You can't beat someone who never quits."

I've been at this for over a year now, no commercial success so far, but the amount I've learned is tremendous. I've started keeping a spreadsheet of my submissions, and all the feedback so it keeps me more focused for future creations, and to hopefully stop repeating the same mistakes. The modern musician seems to have to be a composer, arranger, performer, producer and engineer, which is allot. While it's easier than ever, it means we all have to push ourselves in so many different directions to make this work.

My advice, just keep swimming. Just keep swimming!

Cheers,
Brad

BobGunnerfeldt
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by BobGunnerfeldt » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:02 am

Thank you, Brad, for the good advice.
I appreciate your input.