Tinnitus and mixing

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

guest4254
Impressive
Impressive

Tinnitus and mixing

Post by guest4254 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:45 am

I'm not sure if this is the best place for this sort of post, and if it's not, please point me in the right direction.

I have tinnitus along with some minor hearing loss, and I'm wondering if anyone else has this and is it affecting your song mixes?
I've been finding that some of my recent mixes don't seem to sound as good without having to go back and re-mix and even then it seems like trial and error. I'm not sure if I'm over thinking my mixes, but most of the songs I submit to Taxi Listings, I usually get back something problematic about the mix of the song. Oddly, I asked for and received feedback here on Peer to Peer regarding the mix of a song and heeded the suggestions, but the listing was returned and one of the reasons was the mix. This was rarely a problem in the past.
So, I'm wondering how much my hearing loss/tinnitus may be affecting my mixes, and if anyone else might be dealing with the same thing?
Anyone tried mixing with hearing aids?

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Tinnitus and mixing

Post by funsongs » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:50 am

As an old-guy, liking to adjust instrument placement and match juxta-positioned pieces using headphones... then monitors for the serious mix;
headphones are (at least for me) the culprit that brings on the ear-ringing.
Taking long breaks in between shortened use; and limiting or ceasing headphone use MAY be a first-consideration and place to start.
It probably won't cure anything, but may very well reduce further discomfort and damage.

Your mileage may vary.
Be careful out there.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:25 pm

funsongs wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:50 am
As an old-guy, liking to adjust instrument placement and match juxta-positioned pieces using headphones... then monitors for the serious mix;
headphones are (at least for me) the culprit that brings on the ear-ringing.
Taking long breaks in between shortened use; and limiting or ceasing headphone use MAY be a first-consideration and place to start.
It probably won't cure anything, but may very well reduce further discomfort and damage.

Your mileage may vary.
Be careful out there.
+1

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:46 pm

I was encouraged by Youtube videos that tell me its all about the Mids! :) Maybe, that's why so many folk used to swear by mixing on NS-10s. Anyway, aftre far too many years standing next to loud drummers and bass players I now find it tough to hear the top end, so I sometimes get it wrong with high pitched percussion, hi-hats and cymbals. It helps to turn my monitors up louder than my normal mixing volume just for a quick check, followed by letting someone with younger ears give an impartial review (as long as it someone you trust to have good judgment on mixes).

I have no such excuses for getting the bottom end wrong though, yet I still do that too from time to time :). Izotope's Tonal Balance helps there.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

KennyWayneBuffalo
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by KennyWayneBuffalo » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:04 am

I have those same issues, and throw in $100 monitors (still better than what I used a year ago) and it gets a bit tough. But I will continue on the best I can. Yes, I played in the bars over thirty years ago, too loud for small venues and still paying for it. I don't have any other answers, maybe we need to have somebody else mix and master, but I can't afford to pay anyone. I write mostly in the morning while my wife is still asleep using cheap headphones, then go to monitors when I can. Keep on chugging along!
Ken