To all ASCAP or BMI members

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

hurican
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: To all ASCAP or BMI members

Post by hurican » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:43 pm

Ok, thank you all. That gives me enough to go on. I start off being very conservative with people or businesses I don't trust, so I'll only register material with the PRO that I know are required. That will probably change when things begin to move faster... usually the way it works with me. I will start to figure out who I want to go with though and set up an affiliation.

jdhogg
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jdhogg » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:56 am

I have heard sesac are the best option.Anyone had much experience with them?

slideboardouts
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by slideboardouts » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:56 am

Oct 10, 2009, 1:56pm, jdhogg wrote:I have heard sesac are the best option.Anyone had much experience with them?One of the things I've heard about SESAC is that some of the smaller publishers/libraries aren't set up with SESAC and you could therefor miss out on a lot of opportunities. Again, I don't think that there is one "best" option out there. All of them have advantages and disadvantages.Oct 10, 2009, 1:56pm, hurican wrote: I'll only register material with the PRO that I know are required. Actually, I don't really think its necessary for you to register your works unless you have placed a piece on your own. When you sign with a publisher or library, they will register the titles for you. You can check online what has been registered, that way you can make sure that your publishers/libraries are registering everything properly.-Steve

hurican
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by hurican » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:57 pm

Oct 10, 2009, 2:56pm, slideboardouts wrote:Actually, I don't really think its necessary for you to register your works unless you have placed a piece on your own. When you sign with a publisher or library, they will register the titles for you. You can check online what has been registered, that way you can make sure that your publishers/libraries are registering everything properly.-SteveSounds like a plan. I think I'll go ahead and set up an affiliation. From looking into BMI / ASCAP it looks like you can voluntarily register material there. The advice that I can wait for the publisher / library to register the material was very helpful. Thank you.