To all my favorite instrumentalists out there

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

squidlips
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

To all my favorite instrumentalists out there

Post by squidlips » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:26 am

Okay, now that I'm flat broke and working on marketing while I wait for funds, I thought I'd gather my courage and post this little instrumental piece I wrote on the last album. I won't tell you its history or what I think about it. I'll just let you listen and tell me what you think of it, when you have time. I know all y'all pretty busy.Scared witless but willing to take a lickin',Squidhttp://www.broadjam.com/player/player.as....ionI NDEX=31775

geo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: To all my favorite instrumentalists out there

Post by geo » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:19 am

Nice Squid, it's got a nice feel to it, kinda soundtrack (last day of the summer, closing up the house, looking at the beach one last time) those are all images I got. Since I'm not one of your "fav instru-guys" I'll limit my comments to that Geo

squidlips
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by squidlips » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:40 am

Now don't you jump to conclusions, Geo. You know betta than that. P.s. You got that almost dead on, too.....last look at the beaches.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:40 am

First of all, the composition is lovely. It has a beautiful melody. Overall I think it's well produced. I think the cellos are playing the right things, just could be a touch back in the mix in the first section. The strings are lovely after the solo piano part. It has a melancholy flavour and IMO you should have success pitching this for film & tv. Don't know what you are afraid of!!!Hummin'bird (There are a couple of 'clicks' in the recording towards the beginning of the piece - not sure why - if they are resident in your sound file you can't pitch it as is. You might be able to cut out the beginning & start from the solo piano to create a short but lovely piece to pitch).
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

squidlips
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by squidlips » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:54 am

Oh, shoot. Whereabouts did you hear the clicks? I didn't hear them on this last listen and it's straight from the CD (to broadjam), which discmakers and I vetted pretty thoroughly. Ack!

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:08 am

Could just be the player. I'll try again later - although I just listened to 3 of someone else's songs and didn't have a problem.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:44 am

Quote:I'll just let you listen and tell me what you think of it, when you have time. I know all y'all pretty busy.Squidhttp://www.broadjam.com/player/player.as....ionI NDEX=31775 HAVE NO FEAR! Wow, that's so beautiful, Hope. I will personally get on the phone to Taxi if it doesn't get forwarded... On second thought, you don't want me making any calls on your behalf, I'd likely go off half-cocked and blow it for you. I have personally renamed your tune, "Hopeful" I have a corny instrumental, that never got a forward at all, until my kids listened to it and called it Baroomph. Since then(even tho it has lousy old samples) it's been forwarded 4 times. Do I know positively, that a title makes a difference to screeners? Of course not, but any thing that makes your first impression stronger, always matters, n'est-ce pas?Did you play this piano yourself?(no clicks when I listened,btw)the bald guy with the cute kid

walter327
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by walter327 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:50 am

Wonderful, peaceful bit of work, Squid. If nothing else, I can certainly hear this as background music for a movie and then on a soundtrack. Loved it.
I shall wipe every tear from their eyes....

squidlips
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by squidlips » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:15 pm

Thanks Steve and Walt. Never thought about renaming it but that's an idea. I haven't submitted it to but one thing, I think. I wouldn't know what listing to submit it to. Instrumentals are something that took the backburner the last 8 years or so. I'm just now getting back to them. Voices don't last but a good keyboard will. You know, barring hurricanes and stuff. Thanks a lot. I really appreciate the support.

geo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by geo » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:02 pm

Just teasing, Squid for as my wife will surely tell you I can't pass up on the opportunity to be an ass. Though she would probablely add on 4 more letters , nice work you obviously nailed the emotion of the piece. I didn't notice the title but I would go with something that reinforced the imagery. Maybe if the screener has "Last day on the Cape" (don't laugh, not a suggestion ) as the starting point and song takes him there and he knows the client has whatever show taking place on the beach.... I don't know, sometimes I spend too much time trying to think like a screener!!! Just a thought... Geo