Too bluegrass for swamp?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Too bluegrass for swamp?

Post by Telefunkin » Wed May 23, 2018 2:39 pm

I know I'm too late to answer your question Les, but what great sounds and great playing! I'm envious of your abilities to play like that and also to be able to capture those sounds.

Back on topic though, I had a few tracks that I initially thought might have worked for this listing until I heard the ref tracks. They were a bit more upbeat than I expected, so my tracks were not appropriate. Therefore, I can understand why you went for something a little more lively. Great work, whatever the outcome :).
Last edited by Telefunkin on Thu May 24, 2018 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Wed May 23, 2018 5:35 pm

Hey Graham, thanks so much for the kind words, you are no slouch when it comes to this picking composing business so I appreciate your compliment. They were after up tempo tracks and the refs did reflect that too.

I have had some very helpful suggestions from Andy in particular and I will construct my cues with a little more of a plan in the future. Till now I have treated them a bit like an abstract/expressionist painter throwing everything at them in a creative flurry then spending time going through and muting, deleting sections. All very time consuming. So from now on I'm going to set up a mental template for a cue; when elements come in, attention to the sides/panning of instruments, sectional development and generally making things more cohesive etc. Having more of an end game in mind before starting.

I think it ties in too with what you said about the sounds which I think is like having the right tools for the job. The mandolin is a cheap 'folk' type [and you can hear its not great, and I'm no mandolin player], the resonator isn't super expensive but it has that reso/dobro sound. I guess I have learned a lesson here that can be applied to multiple genres- identify the elements/tools specific to the genre. I know its basic and its been stated over and over but hopefully the penny might be dropping for me. Learn a genre and then you will get the 'key' and that I think, is using the right tools and building the correct structure to house your creativity.

Sorry for going off on a rave but I guess I'm getting excited about gaining a little clarity after a year or so of wandering all over the place.

Thanks TAXI community, I'm grateful to you all. :D

johnlewitt
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by johnlewitt » Fri May 25, 2018 11:01 am

Sounds good. Did you submit this version?

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Fri May 25, 2018 4:18 pm

by johnlewitt » Sat May 26, 2018 4:01 am
Sounds good. Did you submit this version?
Hey John, yeah I have been updating some submissions on my TAXI music page and as they are still editable I am hoping that the latest versions will be the ones that get listened to.

I was going to redo the resonator part when the Gretsch Boxcar developed a horrid resonance. I took the spider off and it was warped by about an inch. The music shop let me swap it for the Bobtail which has a crappy pickup but is a bit better build. The Bobtail had a slight resonance but it was just the pick up wires making contact with the cone which I remedied.

This sort of thing happens with cheaper resonator guitars, they need a bit of after care. Especially with the Chinese models I guess, quality control and all that. I still like the sound of em though.